Any 911 Dispatchers here?

Forum: Public Safety Families

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Public Safety Families LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Jessica!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jessica! Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica!
Hi,

I'm just checking in to see if anyone here is a 911 Dispatcher?

The city of Las Vegas and Nevada Highway Patrol are hiring for dispatchers currently. I've always been interested in a job like this. I listen to the police scanner a lot here. I know this job would be very demanding and quite stressful at times, but I'm always up for a good challenge.

If you are a 911 Dispatcher, or maybe even your husband, what are you opinions on your job? What would you tell someone who wanted to get into this job path?

I really want to work with the city... I'm just not ready to join the police force... if ever.

May 6th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Chunky Monkey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Chunky Monkey Send a message via Yahoo to Chunky Monkey
Being a 911 dispatcher is also in the realm of public safety. When it is advertised here they say you need a clear speaking voice and typing skills. I say go for it! The only thing is they do giver preferential treatment to anyone who has public safety experience and knowledge.

May 7th, 2009, 07:07 AM
mswordwiz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is very stressful, and they do test for vocal clarity (how do you sound), typing and listening comprehension here as part of the screening process. If you are fluent in spanish that is a major plus in most departments.

You can expect a complete and full background check and possibly a polygraph. All dispatch candidates here undergo a psychological eval and a complete pre-employment physical including substance testing. To be fully trained takes on average of 6-9 months to cover both police/fire and interface with county CAD/state/national systems.

You have to be able to multitask by typing the callers data into the system in as close to real-time as possible and it is not as easy as people think it is. The major trend is 10 years ago departments talked in 10 codes, now its plain English...

I teach the Emergency Medical Dispatch course here and that comes towards the end of the training cycle here.

Good luck!
Brandon 6
Suzanne (1-18-2009)
Kyle & Luke (1-22-2009)

"Anyone engaging in illegal financial transactions will be caught and persecuted." --George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 19, 2008

Another day, another 72% for the same work, different pay......
May 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Jessica!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jessica! Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica!
I know some of the police codes here since I do listen to the scanners. The 419, 426, 404, etc... not like I have actually worked with police, but at least I know some of them.

It wouldn't surprise me if they polygraph and do an extensive background check. I was going through that process when I was applying to be a corrections officer for Maricopa County Sheriff's Office... but then I got pregnant, so I held off on that job.

It never hurts to try to do something. I just don't want to fail at it since the economy sucks right now.

May 7th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Ana*Addey*OliveMommy
I think you should go for it if you want!!

Do not mention on FB

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search