Unfortunate Experience

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Ectopic Pregnancy Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2007, 12:27 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
Well first let me introduce myself, my name is Rebecca, i'm 24.. full time nursing student, I live on the east coast of the US in a little state called Massachusetts. I wanted to just share my experiences which were both very different and hope that not only will it help me heal, but maybe it will alert others to the possible signs.
In late October 2006, after weeks of feeling extremely ill I was going to get into the shower and saw an old pregnancy test under my sink. I decided to take it just to rule it out, NEVER considering it was even a POSSIBILITY (I was using the NuvaRing). Well I took the test (internet cheapie) and no line, I took a quick shower, got out and was drying off. I looked down at the sink where I put the test and nearly lost my mind. There were two fairly clear pink lines. I immediately started crying.. convinced the test was wrong. I got another one.. (digital) and took it on the way to my chiropractor appointment. Waited while it blinked over and over and then .. there it was *PREGNANT*. I nearly fainted. I made an appt for a blood test immediately and went to the hospital the next day to have it drawn. My levels were only 102. Pretty low. Well I spent the next week getting used to the idea that I was going to be a mommy.. getting comfortable with myself, and what my life was going to be like. No sooner did I get used to the idea and happy about being pregnant, I started bleeding. I called the doctor who told me it was implantation bleeding, but called in an order for another HCG.. it had risen appropriately so all things were a go. After 5 days of bleeding, i called the doctor again and the doctor on call reluctantly had me come in. He did an ultrasound, and a pelvic.. told me he couldnt' see anything and that i'd had a miscarriage and sent me home. I was home for 10 days, on the 10th day I remember sitting on the toilet talking to my sister telling her "I feel like my ovary is going to explode Shannon." I decided i'd had enough. The pain and bleeding weren't stopping. I drove myself to the ER. I waited there for hours and hours. The original doctor I saw was incompetant to say the least. I told him the OB office told me I had a miscarriage, so he ran an HCG quant. I went in for another ultrasound.. this time when the internal wand got near my ovary i nearly climbed up the walls. They still didn't see anything. When the HCG quant came back.. people started to panic. It was 1800. So much for a miscarriage. Although it was rising, it should have been almost 3000 but last time i'd had it drawn it was about 800. Finally after about 11 hours in the ER, they called OB to take a look.
Finally.. someone competant. The OB they sent down was amazing.. great bedside manner, very concerned. I'd been getting demerol for pain (which doesn't work for me) and finally after being home for 10 days in pain they gave me something that helped. He told me he couldn't be 100% sure it was ectopic but with the pain in the area and the levels not being at the correct number, he was pretty sure. He said I could decide to have the surgery or I could wait, but either way he wasn't letting me go home. He explained the risks of surgery were much less than if my tube burst, and I agreed. I went in for surgery on 11/17 and woke to the news that the baby was in my right fallopian tube but they were able to salvage the tube. I was told we could try again immediately after my post op appt but decided to wait a while. I was also informed my risk of another ectopic increased to 15%.

In mid March 2007 i'd gone out with my best friend and her girls and while visiting started having severe pain in my chest right under my sternum. I decided to come home and see how things went. The pain only got worse and was accompanied by continuous vomiting. At around 3am I decided I'd had enough and went to the ER again. The week before i'd gotten my period and had taken about 5 pregnancy tests. All were BFN. After being admtited to the ER, they ran tests, said they thought it might be my gallbladder and scheduled an ultrasound. About two hours later they came in and asked my boyfriend to leave. The attending informed me that they run routine urine tests on all women of childbearing age and mine came back positive. I wasn't sure how that was possible considering i'd just had my period and it was normal and i'd gotten so many BFNs just a week before. Regardless, I wasn't concerned because the pain was in my upper abdomen near my chest. HCG was 800 and I became excited.. finally a healthy pregnancy. i asked if they could do a pelvic ultrasound during the gallbladder and they said yes. I waited, had the ultrasounds done. My gallbladder and kidneys were fine, but they couldnt' see anything in my uterus and chalked it up to being too early. They rescheduled an ultrasound for two days later and I was admitted to the hospital for severe dehydration. Well my mom came to the hospital with baby gifts and balloons, we told our family and some friends. I went down for the new ultrasound and with my BF in tow. The tech looked at me and said "oh, i have your new HCG level" i said "OH YEAH??? what was it??" she said "well it dropped." I started hysterically crying.. i knew what that meant. This woman even went as far as to say "well that doesn't mean anything though." and "can you please calm down and stop crying, i'm having trouble seeing your endometrium" I was appalled. I waited all day to see a doctor. Finally my OB came in and told me if my levels dropped again they were going to call it a miscarriage and assume my body would reabsorb it, but if it bounced back up, it'd be a casebook ectopic and they'd have to do surgery. It had dropped from 800 to 595 and the next day it was 695, so off to surgery I went. Again, the fetus was in my right tube, but this time they decided to take the tube because it was the 2nd pregnancy caught there. Where I stand now... is that I have one tube, and my chances of another have dropped because the affected tube has been removed. My fertility hasn't changed one way or another because there was obviously a defect that prevented healthy pregnancy to begin with so in all honesty I feel like my chances of a healthy pregnancy are better now. I've decided to wait for a long while to start trying again. Lots of personal and health reasons also. So here's my two cents... if you've got a gut feeling something isn't right.. PLEASE have it checked out, even if you feel stupid because the DR told you it was one thing. I sat home for 10 days with an ectopic because i trusted a dr.. and it could have cost me my life. Please.. find a doctor you trust and always stick to your guns.

May 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM
mrs_catty_marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am so very sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your story. Hugs!!

[/url

Ectopic Pregnancy 01/30/06. One tube wonder!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search