Log In Sign Up

Two ectopics or more?


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Ectopic Pregnancy Experiences LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 15th, 2007, 06:33 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61,627
As some of you know I recently had my second ectopic pregnancy and lost most of my right tube. I am very depressed at the moment and just feeling really alone. I know there are others that have been through this but it just seems so unreal to me right now. I am terrified of getting pregnant again. The doctor told me that if you have had two ectopics your chances of having another one went up to fifty percent. Has anyone had more than one ectopic pregnancy? Did you lose your tube? Have you had any problems getting pregnant since your ectopic? Are you worried about getting pregnant again? I am just so scared to try again right now and I was so excited about being pregnant.
__________________


Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 15th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Shaustin's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,486
Hey Patty, I'm so sorry for your losses. I've only had one ectopic, the other loss was a m/c, but I did lose my left tube with the ectopic, and I can so relate to how you are feeling. I am TERRIFIED of getting pregnant again, considering my ectopic rupture (which we caught early) nearly took my life. It has been almost 5 months since the ectopic, and I haven't gotten pregnant yet. Although after my m/c it took us 7 months to get pregnant again, which ended in my left tube rupturing. I do know that with each ectopic your risk does increase for another ectopic, but I'm not totally sure of the percentages. I have heard many success stories of women who have had ectopic pregnancies and gone on to have healthy children, but I definitely think actually getting pregnant takes a bit longer, and its really hard to say whether or not it will be ectopic again. Its kind of strange when you start looking at how small the chance of having a m/c is, and how there is even less of a chance of having an ectopic, but when you seem to fall into those categories more than once you begin to wonder if you will ever be included in the large percentage of women who have a NORMAL, healthy pregnancy. I guess I can't really answer any of your questions, but I wanted you to know, that although I would nearly give all of my limbs to have a healthy pregnancy and carry my child in my arms, the thought of actually seeing another BFP seriously terrifies me. I don't know if I can go through all of this again, ya know? I imagine that is exactly how you are feeling!!

Again, I'm so sorry.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #3  
November 16th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 27,408
Patty, I had no idea it was an ectopic & it breaks my heart that this didn't work out for you. It is so devastating to lose a baby, more so if there are 2. I know I am scared every day & have never experienced an ectopic. I wish I had information to help you. All I can say is that I am fairly certain the chance of having another after already having 2 does actually raise but I'm not sure if it is 50% like you were told. My heart goes out to you & your family. My prayers will be w/ you & the Pregnancy Loss board ladies are a fantastic support group.
__________________
Check out hEvan @ http://www.etsy.com/store/hEvan
for some great handmade items.
All proceeds go to a family struggling w/ infertility!



Reply With Quote
  #4  
November 16th, 2007, 08:52 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61,627
Quote:
Hey Patty, I'm so sorry for your losses. I've only had one ectopic, the other loss was a m/c, but I did lose my left tube with the ectopic, and I can so relate to how you are feeling. I am TERRIFIED of getting pregnant again, considering my ectopic rupture (which we caught early) nearly took my life. It has been almost 5 months since the ectopic, and I haven't gotten pregnant yet. Although after my m/c it took us 7 months to get pregnant again, which ended in my left tube rupturing. I do know that with each ectopic your risk does increase for another ectopic, but I'm not totally sure of the percentages. I have heard many success stories of women who have had ectopic pregnancies and gone on to have healthy children, but I definitely think actually getting pregnant takes a bit longer, and its really hard to say whether or not it will be ectopic again. Its kind of strange when you start looking at how small the chance of having a m/c is, and how there is even less of a chance of having an ectopic, but when you seem to fall into those categories more than once you begin to wonder if you will ever be included in the large percentage of women who have a NORMAL, healthy pregnancy. I guess I can't really answer any of your questions, but I wanted you to know, that although I would nearly give all of my limbs to have a healthy pregnancy and carry my child in my arms, the thought of actually seeing another BFP seriously terrifies me. I don't know if I can go through all of this again, ya know? I imagine that is exactly how you are feeling!!

Again, I'm so sorry.[/b]
Thank you for your post. Terrified is exactly the word to describe my feelings. I was so sick and had so much pain. I don't want to go through that again. I don't want to end up losing another tube or ovary or worse. I know that seems extreme but I never would have thought this could happen to me. I did find some other sites that have the same statistics the doctor quoted me.
This was says more than fifty percent.
I find it really boggles my mind that I have had so many problem pregnancies. I have had two miscarriages and now two ectopics and even my pregnancies with my kids had complications. I have not had an "easy" pregnancy yet. I really had it in my head that this was going to be the one that went right. I started taking prenatals early, I gave up caffeine, I did everything I could in my power to make sure things went well. I am not blaming myself really but I am just angry that my body let me down like this. I am trying to find out more information on this because it just doesn't seem like ectopics happen that often. And I don't think people have two of them that often. I was so sure that this wasn't ectopic because of them seeing the sac in my uterus. It really wasn't measuring that far off from how far along I should have been and I just thought that I was being my typical spazzy worry wort self and that everything was going to be fine.

I am still not physically feeling very well and I find that this is all I am talking about. I am trying to move forward but I can't stop thinking about everything.
__________________


Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
November 16th, 2007, 12:26 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 12,841
Hi Patty. I hope you are feeling a little better from your surgery. I know all to well that it will take a while for your heart to start to heal. I am sorry for your losses. I also lost a child to an ectopic and my right tube.

I know you said that you lost your right tube with this loss but where was your 1st ectopic? In that same right tube?

From what I have read on ectopics I have learned this and please don't ask me to name my sources b/c I have read so much I don't even know anymore!

If the doctors remove the ectopic and repair your tube than your chance of having another one goes up to the 50% rate you had previouslly mentioned.

However if the doctors remove you tube (as in my case) than your chance of having another ectopic is not any greater than a "normal" womans. And 87% women who and TTC and have had an ectopic and their tube removed go on to get a BFP with a normal uterian pg within 18 months. (I found that very encouraging!)

I would however just talk to your doctor about having a HSG (water sono) done just to check your remaining tube to make sure it is good and healthy with a clear path for that eggie. If all else this will give you piece of mind.

I will continue to keep you and your family in my T&P's. Please feel free to PM anytime.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #6  
November 16th, 2007, 12:41 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61,627
Quote:
Hi Patty. I hope you are feeling a little better from your surgery. I know all to well that it will take a while for your heart to start to heal. I am sorry for your losses. I also lost a child to an ectopic and my right tube.

I know you said that you lost your right tube with this loss but where was your 1st ectopic? In that same right tube?

From what I have read on ectopics I have learned this and please don't ask me to name my sources b/c I have read so much I don't even know anymore!

If the doctors remove the ectopic and repair your tube than your chance of having another one goes up to the 50% rate you had previouslly mentioned.

However if the doctors remove you tube (as in my case) than your chance of having another ectopic is not any greater than a "normal" womans. And 87% women who and TTC and have had an ectopic and their tube removed go on to get a BFP with a normal uterian pg within 18 months. (I found that very encouraging!)

I would however just talk to your doctor about having a HSG (water sono) done just to check your remaining tube to make sure it is good and healthy with a clear path for that eggie. If all else this will give you piece of mind.

I will continue to keep you and your family in my T&P's. Please feel free to PM anytime.[/b]
Here is the thing. I really don't know what happened with my last ectopic. They didn't explain things really well and it was a long time ago. They never told me what tube it was in or whether it was even in my tube, they just told me it was ectopic based on my hcg levels. They were going up but not doubling like they should. I remember having a little bit of dull pain but I really do not remember what side it was on or really a whole lot about what happened. They gave me methotrexate and had me follow up with blood draws to make sure my hcg levels went down. This was my third pregnancy loss and at this point I hadn't had any kids so the loss was very hard on me and I don't really remember everything very well. It was my birthday on the day this happened and that I still remember. I was 23 so it was a long time ago. I wish I knew which tube it was in.

The other thing is after I had my ectopic. I had a lot of tests done to see why I was having so many problems with miscarriage/ectopic, etc. I know that I had a hysterosalpingogram done then and my tubes and everything were fine. I think that is why I am just surprised about all of this. How could my tubes be just fine but yet I have had two ectopics? I just don't understand.

I need to schedule my follow up appointment. I haven't decided for sure when we will start trying again. I want to talk to them about what they can do to monitor me if I get pregnant again and if there is anything I can do to keep this from happening again.
__________________


Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 12,841
Could you maybe contact the doctor who cared for you during your 1st ectopic and ask for your chart (or have your current doctor call so they don't change you)?

Did you have a c-section with any of your kids? Abdoninal surgery can be a cause of ectopics also. So even if you had clear tudes at the time your body could have changed.

I know you are sad and confussed and afriad of getting pg again. I feel the same way. I had my 2nd m/c 5/07 and than my ectopic 10/07. I am afraid of having to go through loosing another child. As all of us on this board unfortunatley know, it is a horrible horrible feeling. But everytime I look at my daughter I am reminded just how precious life is. And the joy of a child far out ways the fear we have.

Just pray on it and give your fertility to God. If He wants you to have more children than you will. But in the mean time you will not have to carry that unknowing fear all alone.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #8  
November 17th, 2007, 07:15 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 61,627
Quote:
Could you maybe contact the doctor who cared for you during your 1st ectopic and ask for your chart (or have your current doctor call so they don't change you)?

Did you have a c-section with any of your kids? Abdoninal surgery can be a cause of ectopics also. So even if you had clear tudes at the time your body could have changed.

I know you are sad and confussed and afriad of getting pg again. I feel the same way. I had my 2nd m/c 5/07 and than my ectopic 10/07. I am afraid of having to go through loosing another child. As all of us on this board unfortunatley know, it is a horrible horrible feeling. But everytime I look at my daughter I am reminded just how precious life is. And the joy of a child far out ways the fear we have.

Just pray on it and give your fertility to God. If He wants you to have more children than you will. But in the mean time you will not have to carry that unknowing fear all alone.[/b]
Maybe this sounds bad but I don't even remember what my doctor's name was. This was eleven years ago and I lived in Georgia then. I have had a csection so I suppose that could have something to do with it. I have also had an umbilical hernia repair. You should see my stomach now. I have a bunch of scars now.

I am going to make an appointment on Monday to see the midwife and just talk about things.
__________________


Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
November 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 12,841
I hope your midwife is able to give you some peace of mind.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #10  
November 17th, 2007, 12:16 PM
mrs_catty_marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: WA
Posts: 5,939
I am so sorry for your losses. I have only had one ectopic but I know how you feel. I lost my right tube and almost my life. Afterwards my dad finally decided it was time to tell me that ectopics run in my family. Unfortanetly a tubal ectopic can happen even if your tubes are completely clear and each ectopic raises the chance of having another. However theres is a good chance that it was just the one tube that had a problem. I know it's hard dealing with the lose and the physical pain. Just remember that you are not alone.

As for future pregnancies I starting having u/s as soon as the dr gets a postive until we can confirm that the baby is in the uterus. Any pain or bleeding means I go in immediatly. I know it's scary to think of getting pregnant again but it is worth it. Big hugs!
__________________


[/url

Ectopic Pregnancy 01/30/06. One tube wonder!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 9th, 2008, 04:26 AM
.x~KAT~x.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bristol, England, UK
Posts: 7,175
Send a message via MSN to .x~KAT~x.
i am currently experiencing my second ectopic....will be treated later with methatrexate...again! my last ectopic was treated in nov/dec 07. i feel very alone right now...just dont understand why this is happening to me. Have you concieved since patty??? please give me some hope
__________________
Katt and Brett, with DS Tommy born July 4th 2005, DD Amber born Aug 19th 2009 and 4 baby angels
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:21 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0