Log In Sign Up

Hi guys...


Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
November 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dreamland...........
Posts: 2,646
I am new here and although i cannot do anything for at least 2 months (c-sec victim ) i need to ask you ladies some questions. Pre-pregnancy i was 121 pounds and after delivery i weigh 141. I need to loose 20 pounds BUT firstly i am breastfeeding which means i cannot eat a lot less. I need to be careful what i eat in order to produce milk. So any proper diet is out of the question. I eat less of course but you cannot imagine how hungry i get especially after a pump or a feeding. It seems i can eat the whole house. Any advice for breastfeeding mommies that can assist on weight loss. Also i cannot exercise at all. I was a jogger, doing Tae Bo and Yoga. And now i am not allowed anything for at least 2 months. I don't know how i will last. I tried on my jeans (pre-pregnancy) they are a 26. They stop on my hips and go no further. I know i have to do exercising in order for them to fit again, but according to experience will some weight loss and the fact that i am no longer pregnant assist my hips to take 'some' of their former self back?? At least until i am able to exercise again. I know 21 pound may not sound much, but i had very tight clothes always pre-pregnancy and now i have nothing (really) to wear And it's depressing to see the c-sec pouch also where a six-pack once was....Does our body ever get back to what it used to be ????

Thanks in advance....
__________________




" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Reply With Quote
  #2  
November 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Ninky's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Wilmington Delaware
Posts: 5,244
I didn't have a c-section so I'm not really any help. But I noticed your LO is not even 2 weeks old yet. You'll lose more weight. It might not seem like it now, but you will. I wouldn't worry about your weight until you hit that 8 week mark, and THEN I would start THINKING about making changes and starting to lose weight. Your body needs time to heal! It doesn't happen overnight.
__________________


Pounds Lost: 56.8
Reply With Quote
  #3  
November 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 47,594
Can I ask how tall you are? That is a really low weight so I am guessing you are on the short side. I have not had a c/s myself, but I am pretty sure you can start walking fairly early on just no lifting or strenuous exercise. Check with your doctor and see if you can start a walking program. As far as breastfeeding goes you want to eat at least 1800 calories while you are breastfeeding. Make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water. This will help you with breastfeeding and losing weight. Your body will get back. You just need to give yourself a little time.
__________________


Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
Reply With Quote
  #4  
November 18th, 2008, 11:42 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fitzgerald, GA
Posts: 8,389
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Welcome to the board! I'm Tonya and I'm a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. For my nursing clients, I recommed an additional 300-500 calories over their metabolic needs to account for milk production. When I had my kids, I didn't have a c-section, but I was able to get my body back to normal within 6 months. It takes healthy eating though, not dieting. Diet is a four letter word for a reason, nobody should ever do it! LOL I would be glad to do a workup for you on what your calories need to be so that you are getting what you need to fuel your activities and breastfeeding. Just PM me.
__________________
Tonya Wife to Mike, Mom to Bobby (19) and Koti (17)
Certified Personal Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor, and Sports Nutritionist
Valdosta State University Class of 2012, Major: Exercise Physiology, Minor: Nutrition
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

Reply With Quote
  #5  
November 18th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Ellemphriem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dreamland...........
Posts: 2,646
Quote:
Can I ask how tall you are? That is a really low weight so I am guessing you are on the short side. I have not had a c/s myself, but I am pretty sure you can start walking fairly early on just no lifting or strenuous exercise. Check with your doctor and see if you can start a walking program. As far as breastfeeding goes you want to eat at least 1800 calories while you are breastfeeding. Make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water. This will help you with breastfeeding and losing weight. Your body will get back. You just need to give yourself a little time.[/b]
Hi yes, i am 5,6 Is this weight low for my height??? Never thought so. Thought i was normal
__________________




" \m/ Now Iím riding through the air
going to where no one dares
on the way Iíll cross the line forevermore \m/ "

Reply With Quote
  #6  
November 18th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 53,701
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
Hi there! Welcome! I would pm Tonya
__________________

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
November 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 47,594
Quote:
Quote:
Can I ask how tall you are? That is a really low weight so I am guessing you are on the short side. I have not had a c/s myself, but I am pretty sure you can start walking fairly early on just no lifting or strenuous exercise. Check with your doctor and see if you can start a walking program. As far as breastfeeding goes you want to eat at least 1800 calories while you are breastfeeding. Make sure you are drinking lots and lots of water. This will help you with breastfeeding and losing weight. Your body will get back. You just need to give yourself a little time.[/b]
Hi yes, i am 5,6 Is this weight low for my height??? Never thought so. Thought i was normal
[/b]

Well I entered your current weight of 141 into a BMI calculator. Keep in mind BMI doesn't take into consideration how much muscle you have verses fat, but it can give you a ballpark number.

Your Body Mass Index (BMI):
Your Current BMI: 23
Healthy BMI: 18.5 - 25
You have a BMI of 23. A woman of your height should weigh between 118 and 149 pounds to maintain a normal BMI.

I can totally understand wanting your body back, but I would encourage you to aim for goals on how your clothes fit and feel verses what your weight is. You can actually look better weighing more if it's lean muscle than someone weighing less. You may find that if you start working out your clothes are fitting better, but your weight isn't where it was prebaby. As long as your clothes are fitting better then you are doing awesome!
__________________


Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
Reply With Quote
  #8  
November 19th, 2008, 03:18 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Fitzgerald, GA
Posts: 8,389
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Okay, I just re-read everything from above and want to help clear up some of the confusion about height to weight ratio. First of all, you all know my position on BMI (which is a height to weight ratio) in that it is totally wrong for anyone who does any kind of resistance training because of having extra muscle. I would never defend the lower end of a height to weight ratio for anyone because it is an unhealthy muscle mass in the long run because of not maintaining bone density and being at higher risk for osteoporosis. That being said, after having both of my babies, I weighed 103 pounds with a 23 inch waist. After the first one I was still 5'3", after the second I was 5'5" (yeah, I grew from the growth hormones of pregnancy). (Now I'm 5'6" thanks to Pilates and Yoga, but that is a different subject altogether.) Some people are naturally thin, so even at 5'6", 120 pounds isn't necessarily unatainable if you have the right body type for it. From reading above, Ellemphriem had a 26" waist before having kids at 121 pounds. That tells me that she is a naturally thin person or what we would call in the fitness industry, an ectomorph (tall and thin with very little body fat). Because of that body type, getting back to that wouldn't be hard for her to do, or necessarily unhealthfully low in weight.

Unfortunately, though, what usually happens is that even ectomorphic people have a tendency to change body types as they age or with hormonal fluctuations (such as from pregnancy, or other fertility treatments as was the case with me) and can become more mesomorphic (more muscular but still relatively low in body fat) or endomorphic (pleasently plump). Most women feel that they've become more endomorphic after having children so if that were the case, 120ish would be hard to attain, which is why the height weight charts have moved up some from their earlier incarnations and now include more like 140 for ideal for 5'6". So when those of us on the board who have struggled to get back down to 140ish see a goal of 120ish, they feel it is too low. We just all have to remember what our own body type is and that others have different body types.

My personal recommendation wouldn't be 120 either though, because I've been there and know the risks associated with being too thin (and have the arthritis to prove it). Ideally, I would recommend that someone who is currently experiencing that hormonal fluctuation take advantage of it and do weight training (that promotes more testosterone and less estrogen and more of a mesomorph body type) so that they maintain more muscle then they had previously. More muscle will mean being more like 130ish pounds, but it will also mean less of a risk of osteoporosis and arthritis later in life. Those extra pounds of muscle will also mean that the body is more metabolically active so they can be less meticulous with their eating habits. Do I recommend doing what I've done and going super mesomorph and weighing 190-200 pounds? NO, most women don't enjoy weight lifting as much as I do, nor do they get that rush from lifting heavy like I do. I know my goal weight and anyone else here's goal weight is going to be radically different because I don't care what I weigh as long as my body fat is low and I can squat 300 pounds.

The recommendations about going with the measurements and the way your clothes fit are definitely my recommendations, but understand that going from a low body fat and low muscle mass that adding either will add to size. I use to be a size 3, now I'm a size 8, but I weigh twice as much because of the muscle I've added. A size 3 will be attainable for someone who is naturally ectomorphic, and if that is their goal, great. But being a size 5 or 8 is okay too, just going to be a little different for them because of having to put on muscle to do that. That is where all of us being different comes into play. While I'm thrilled with a size 8 and happy that I can lift my DH up and carry him to the car if he gets hurt, not everyone feels that way. Some people are happier not being able to lift a 10 pound weight and fitting into a smaller size.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some of us have to realize that other peoples goals are going to be much smaller then what we think looks good or feels good, but it is right for them. And anyone whose goal is to be super small needs to realize that the rest of us are going to worry about them being unhealthfully thin (anorexic, bulemic, at higher risk for issues later in life, etc). So anything said here, whether it is agreeing with our own fitness views or disagreeing with our own fitness views, should be taken as it is meant, with love. We all want each other to be healthy and happy, and typically project our own thoughts on what is healthy and happy on each other. It's kinda like me telling my DH to get on the treadmill. I want him to be healthier thinking it would make him happier, but he is happy eating and getting fatter instead of sweating. LOL But no one should take it as a personal insult, because we just want the best for everyone else here. That's why I love this board so much. Everyone here tries to help everyone else so much and there isn't the backstabbing and bitterness I see on other boards. Ya'll are just a great group of gals!
__________________
Tonya Wife to Mike, Mom to Bobby (19) and Koti (17)
Certified Personal Trainer, Group Exercise Instructor, and Sports Nutritionist
Valdosta State University Class of 2012, Major: Exercise Physiology, Minor: Nutrition
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

Reply With Quote
  #9  
November 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,286
Quote:
Everyone here tries to help everyone else so much and there isn't the backstabbing and bitterness I see on other boards. Ya'll are just a great group of gals! [/b]
Well said, Tonya!

I haven't had a c-section but I am breastfeeding, and have been for almost 8 months. I don't diet, I just try to eat healthy. Of course I'd like to lose some more weight, and everyone wants to lose it overnight, but my number one priority has been making sure that I maintain my supply. I can always lose weight, but the time I spend breastfeeding my son is a special thing that only lasts for a short while.

I think that it's hard setting a goal weight. Our bodies have changed so much, and I don't feel like I've ever been "in shape". Even in high school when I weighed 120 lbs I wasn't toned, and I wasn't happy with my body. So I think after reading Tonya's post, I've decided that I'm not going to go by what the scale says anymore. Sure, I'll use it, but I'd rather be a fit 135 than a soft 120. I just want to look good and feel good.

Good luck. We're here to support you!
__________________



[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
November 19th, 2008, 04:06 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 47,594
Quote:
Okay, I just re-read everything from above and want to help clear up some of the confusion about height to weight ratio. First of all, you all know my position on BMI (which is a height to weight ratio) in that it is totally wrong for anyone who does any kind of resistance training because of having extra muscle. I would never defend the lower end of a height to weight ratio for anyone because it is an unhealthy muscle mass in the long run because of not maintaining bone density and being at higher risk for osteoporosis. That being said, after having both of my babies, I weighed 103 pounds with a 23 inch waist. After the first one I was still 5'3", after the second I was 5'5" (yeah, I grew from the growth hormones of pregnancy). (Now I'm 5'6" thanks to Pilates and Yoga, but that is a different subject altogether.) Some people are naturally thin, so even at 5'6", 120 pounds isn't necessarily unatainable if you have the right body type for it. From reading above, Ellemphriem had a 26" waist before having kids at 121 pounds. That tells me that she is a naturally thin person or what we would call in the fitness industry, an ectomorph (tall and thin with very little body fat). Because of that body type, getting back to that wouldn't be hard for her to do, or necessarily unhealthfully low in weight.

Unfortunately, though, what usually happens is that even ectomorphic people have a tendency to change body types as they age or with hormonal fluctuations (such as from pregnancy, or other fertility treatments as was the case with me) and can become more mesomorphic (more muscular but still relatively low in body fat) or endomorphic (pleasently plump). Most women feel that they've become more endomorphic after having children so if that were the case, 120ish would be hard to attain, which is why the height weight charts have moved up some from their earlier incarnations and now include more like 140 for ideal for 5'6". So when those of us on the board who have struggled to get back down to 140ish see a goal of 120ish, they feel it is too low. We just all have to remember what our own body type is and that others have different body types.

My personal recommendation wouldn't be 120 either though, because I've been there and know the risks associated with being too thin (and have the arthritis to prove it). Ideally, I would recommend that someone who is currently experiencing that hormonal fluctuation take advantage of it and do weight training (that promotes more testosterone and less estrogen and more of a mesomorph body type) so that they maintain more muscle then they had previously. More muscle will mean being more like 130ish pounds, but it will also mean less of a risk of osteoporosis and arthritis later in life. Those extra pounds of muscle will also mean that the body is more metabolically active so they can be less meticulous with their eating habits. Do I recommend doing what I've done and going super mesomorph and weighing 190-200 pounds? NO, most women don't enjoy weight lifting as much as I do, nor do they get that rush from lifting heavy like I do. I know my goal weight and anyone else here's goal weight is going to be radically different because I don't care what I weigh as long as my body fat is low and I can squat 300 pounds.

The recommendations about going with the measurements and the way your clothes fit are definitely my recommendations, but understand that going from a low body fat and low muscle mass that adding either will add to size. I use to be a size 3, now I'm a size 8, but I weigh twice as much because of the muscle I've added. A size 3 will be attainable for someone who is naturally ectomorphic, and if that is their goal, great. But being a size 5 or 8 is okay too, just going to be a little different for them because of having to put on muscle to do that. That is where all of us being different comes into play. While I'm thrilled with a size 8 and happy that I can lift my DH up and carry him to the car if he gets hurt, not everyone feels that way. Some people are happier not being able to lift a 10 pound weight and fitting into a smaller size.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that some of us have to realize that other peoples goals are going to be much smaller then what we think looks good or feels good, but it is right for them. And anyone whose goal is to be super small needs to realize that the rest of us are going to worry about them being unhealthfully thin (anorexic, bulemic, at higher risk for issues later in life, etc). So anything said here, whether it is agreeing with our own fitness views or disagreeing with our own fitness views, should be taken as it is meant, with love. We all want each other to be healthy and happy, and typically project our own thoughts on what is healthy and happy on each other. It's kinda like me telling my DH to get on the treadmill. I want him to be healthier thinking it would make him happier, but he is happy eating and getting fatter instead of sweating. LOL But no one should take it as a personal insult, because we just want the best for everyone else here. That's why I love this board so much. Everyone here tries to help everyone else so much and there isn't the backstabbing and bitterness I see on other boards. Ya'll are just a great group of gals! [/b]
Thanks as always Tonya for your wisdom. I know I don't totally understand the body type thing. I knew you would be able to help with this one. Good luck to you with all of your goals! I just didn't want to see you get discouraged.
__________________


Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:38 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0