Does anyone else gain weight when they exercise?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2008, 06:40 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
It's so frustrating. I am gonna try to stick with it. It just seems every time i exercise and eat right i gain some pounds. This week i am like 3-5 lbs heavier but have done nothing wrong. I haven't had soda, eaten out or had a bunch of junk. I notice this EVERY TIME I start working out.

I am gonna try to hold my head up, but i surely don't wanna weigh in this Friday. I am drinking more water too so hopefully i can continue doing that and get rid of it. I am sure my muscles are retaining some water to repair and some sauna sweating may help release some excess water...

but basically does anyone else deal with this?

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

November 19th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
I don't but I drink water like there is no tomorrow
hang in there and keep the water in ya

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
November 19th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Mellza's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I retain water when I ex. my rings get tights and such... so yes I gain weight

Mom to Logan, my beautiful angel son. 7/8/07 - 2/19/08
Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

Baby #3 on the way. EDD May 21st, 2012
SAHM, Student (science major). Volunteer (Arkansas Childrens Hospital).
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/melly.jeffers
Family blog: http://mellyjimandcounting.blogspot.com/
My first son Logan, 7/8/07 - 2/19/08.
6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

Logans blog: logansworld.blog.com
November 19th, 2008, 08:48 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
YES! I was going to post about my day in another post, but absolutely! Measure your inches see if you're losing inches. You might be gaining muscle and losing body fat. Muscle weights more than fat so you could very well be losing just not seeing it on the scale. Try measuring yourself for a few weeks and see if you are losing inches.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 19th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think so. Because the scale doesn't seem to be moving in the direction I want it to, but people keep saying that I'm looking better. I do need to take measurements...

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
November 19th, 2008, 09:24 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
since i just starting working out again i wont go by inches but i am gonna get a body fat scale for my own use..i will continue to work out this time, i think had i continued i woulda lost more weight before...so we'll see

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

November 19th, 2008, 03:41 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Yes, it is perfectly normal to gain weight when you first start working out, especially if you are lifting weights. I try to tell all my clients not to weight themselves for 6-8 weeks when we first start a program because it always gets people discouraged. Part of it is that you are drinking more water but your body isn't use to it yet, so you aren't releasing it yet. The other part of it is that it takes burning 3500 calories while in your fat burning zone to burn one pound of body fat, but it only takes overloading a muscle more then it is use to being worked in order to gain a pound of muscle. So needless to say, it takes a little bit for the fat loss to catch up to the muscle building. But trust me, I've been in the business of helping people lose weight for over 12 years, it does catch up and you see the changes on the scale and body fat percentage eventually. You just have to be patient and stick with it.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 20th, 2008, 02:23 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There might be another reason other than the muscle gain. I know you were saying that you've been eating right, but exactly what does that mean? Here's the thing. If your body was used eating a lot of food, both good and junk, then it's perfectly content using what it needs for enegry and storing the rest as fat.

Now, if you are starting to eat healthy, you need to remember to eat at the minimum 3 times a day, with healthy hearty snacks in between... so all in all you'll be eating like 5-6x a day. If you are not doing that.. your body will go into survival mode. Sounds good, right? but NOPE, NOT good at all. Survival mode means that your body will take whatever you are eating.. even healthy stuff, and start storing it as fat. Your body needs energy, so if it senses that you are burning too much without replenishing it with food, you will not see the pounds go away.. instead you'll see the scale move up and up.

That's why you always hear people saying that proper diet and exercise go hand in hand.

Now, if you are eating right than, yeah, the weight gain is most likely due to muscle gain.. and in that case KEEP AT IT!! .. you'll see the weight come off.

And remember this, the more muscle you gain, the better your body gets at burning fat.. even while you are sitting down or sleeping

Best of luck to you in your weight loss journey.. I'll be joining you soon. I just need to get everything ready and make a schedule so I stick with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search