Scale Not Budging!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been working out pretty consistently, and I've really cleaned up my diet, but I'm not seeing a change when it comes to the scale. I know that it's not good to just base your progress on weight loss, but it'd sure be nice to see a drop in numbers. Anybody else feeling a little discouraged?

[IMG]h ttp://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc187/kellybabe05/natural2.gif[/IMG]
November 25th, 2008, 06:45 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Have you done measurements? Are you seeing changes in how your clothes fit? How long have you been on your program? Are you eating enough? Are you checking your heart rate while you are exercising? There are a lot of things that can effect weight/body fat/fitness. I would need to look at your complete program to see why you aren't changing on the scale, but it could be a good thing (losing body fat and building muscle) or a bad thing (storing fat) for any number of reasons. Don't stress, yet. Lets examine what you are doing and see what the actual results are before we worry, because like you said, the scale isn't the best indicator of health.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 25th, 2008, 08:00 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
when you say you cleaned up your diet.. have you actually written down all you eat in a day and calculatee exactly how many calories you are consuming as opposed to how many calories you are burning?

because as I've been inputing my meals for the days.. I can see how eating just one hot dog (and I used to eat 2 and whatever my kids didnt finish) could just send those calories skyrocketting.
November 25th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy

Have you done measurements? Not yet. So I don't really have anything to go by. I know that I need to. Any tips on that? I've never done it before, so I'm not really sure what to measure and where to measure (biggest part of thighs, widest part of hips?).

Are you seeing changes in how your clothes fit? I think so, but nothing major. And sometimes I think it's just wishful thinking.

How long have you been on your program? I believe this is week 3. I started in August, then fell off the wagon in October, and then started over a couple weeks ago.

Are you eating enough? I think so. I'm not hungry, and I'm not binging or stress-eating like I was before. I'm a little bit afraid of counting calories. I don't want it to become an obsession, and I'm not sure how to figure out the caloric values of homemade food. And I'm breastfeeding, so I'm definitely not starving myself. Just trying to eat healthier.

Are you checking your heart rate while you are exercising? No. And I hadn't even thought of that. I just try to work up a sweat, but still be able to maintain a conversation. What's the best way to check your heart rate? (Sorry if some of my questions seem stupid.)

Thanks for your help, ladies. I'll try to start writing things down, and if you girls could give me some guidelines as far as taking measurements (how often, and such) I'll do that tonight hopefully. I guess I just thought that even though I'm pretty sure I'm building muscle, the scale should still go down a little. Do you think it will eventually?

November 25th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I found a cool sight to help you with your measurements

http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/diet-f...asurements.html
November 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
If you don't have a heart monitor you can periodically check your pulse. I'm not so great at figuring out target heart zone. Tonya could probably help you with that better. Also if you've been at this three weeks have you lost any weight during the 3 weeks at all. I *try* not to fret unless it's been 2 weeks with no weight loss and then I'll start looking at things. As far as measurements, I don't know if I got mine measured perfectly in the right spots. I just try to measure consistently in the same spots. As long as you are consistent you should be able to tell if you are losing inches or not.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 25th, 2008, 03:25 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Quote:
Have you done measurements? Not yet. So I don't really have anything to go by. I know that I need to. Any tips on that? I've never done it before, so I'm not really sure what to measure and where to measure (biggest part of thighs, widest part of hips?).

Are you seeing changes in how your clothes fit? I think so, but nothing major. And sometimes I think it's just wishful thinking.

How long have you been on your program? I believe this is week 3. I started in August, then fell off the wagon in October, and then started over a couple weeks ago.

Are you eating enough? I think so. I'm not hungry, and I'm not binging or stress-eating like I was before. I'm a little bit afraid of counting calories. I don't want it to become an obsession, and I'm not sure how to figure out the caloric values of homemade food. And I'm breastfeeding, so I'm definitely not starving myself. Just trying to eat healthier.

Are you checking your heart rate while you are exercising? No. And I hadn't even thought of that. I just try to work up a sweat, but still be able to maintain a conversation. What's the best way to check your heart rate? (Sorry if some of my questions seem stupid.)

Thanks for your help, ladies. I'll try to start writing things down, and if you girls could give me some guidelines as far as taking measurements (how often, and such) I'll do that tonight hopefully. I guess I just thought that even though I'm pretty sure I'm building muscle, the scale should still go down a little. Do you think it will eventually?[/b]

Okay, we'll start with measurements. This is actually the best indicator because when you build muscle and burn fat the scale won't move but you will be smaller. It only takes an overload to build muscle, but it takes 3500 fat calories burned to lose a pound of fat. As for when to measure, not more then 4 weeks usually, but some people see big changes sooner. Personally, I measure everything every week, but I'm anal retentive and a bit OCD. I measure everything on my clients too, though, because it all adds up to some decent sized numbers when you add them all together, I just don't do it but once a month for them. I much prefer saying you lost 6 inches all over then saying you lost 1/2 inch in one area, KWIM? Anyway, here are the instructions for measuring per my certification:

Neck--measure around at the Adam's Apple

Shoulders--measure around approximately 1 inch from the crest of the shoulder with the arms down by your side (This usually requires a partner)

Chest--measure around at the armpits, not including the arms

Bust--measure around at the nipple line or the fullest part (Obviously I'm not asking clients to disrobe or point out their nipples so I use the fullest part.)

Waist--Bend to the side and feel for the actual bend in the spine. Mark that spot and then have the client stand up and measure around at that bend. (This confuses some people because they think you are suppose to measure at the belly button, but if you lose a lot of weight your belly button can actually drop and then you are measuring hips and not waist so it appears to have gotten bigger. This way you are always measuring in the same spot.)

Lower Abdominal--Measure around at the fullest part of the bulge between the naval and the pubic bone.

Hip--Measure at the fullest part of the butt.

Thigh--Measure from the crease where the leg meets the torso to the top of the kneecap. Divide that in half and measure around at the midpoint. (Midpoint measurements are more accurate for later comparison then the fullest part measurements.)

Calf--Measure from the bottom of the kneecap to the top of the foot. Divide that in half and measure around at the midpoint.

Bicep--Measure from where the arm meets the torso to the crook of the elbow. Divide that in half and measure around at the midpoint.

Forearm--Measure from the crook of the elbow to the hand. Divide that in half and measure around at the midpoint.

Wrist--Measure around on the arm where it connects to the hand.

On to the clothes, at 3 weeks you might notice a little looseness, but not much, so that sounds like you are right on track.

As for eating, as of right now I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like you are on the right track with that, but if you aren't seeing changes in measurements in 3-4 more weeks then we'll look at your food.

Heart rate can be done manually while working out. I recommend stopping for a 10 second pulse rate so that you don't let it come down too much. Just find your pulse in the neck or at the wrist (neck is easiest for most people) and count the beats for 10 seconds. Multiply that by 6 and you have your one minute heart rate. Your target heart rate zone is easy to figure. Take 220 and subtract your age. That is your maximum heart rate and you shouldn't ever get near it! Take the maximum heart rate and multiply it by 60% and 80% and stay between those numbers as a one minute heart rate while exercising.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 26th, 2008, 01:14 AM
great info Tonya.. I just calculated my target HR and cant' wait to test it out during my next workout. thx
November 26th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks, ladies. I'll try to do my measurements today. I've been shooting for 30 minutes of cardio 5x a week, and weight lifting 2-3 times, so I think I'm working out enough. And no...I haven't seen the scale budge at all in 3 weeks. I guess I'm just hoping that maybe one of these times (I weigh in on Mondays generally) I'll see a big drop. And until then I'll try to really eat well.

November 26th, 2008, 02:56 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
take your measurements as mentioned. I bought mine at walmart for 98cents. I have always battled the scale, but i am finding that even when the scale stays the same or goes up, u may very well be losing weight. I see a change in my belly already. not major but i see it going down.

don't worry about that number, i know it's hard to do that, this is coming from a weigh-a-holic!

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

November 26th, 2008, 06:17 PM
4boys
Don't worry Kelly. I have had many times where this has happened to me. Don't let it discourage you because if you persevere, you will see results!!
November 26th, 2008, 07:18 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Definitely take the measurements. My scale is moving really, really slow now. If you are doing all that exercise, you are probably gaining muscle. Try not to get discouraged.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 27th, 2008, 08:38 PM
elletowe's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to elletowe
all of the above posts are very helpful, i just wanted to drop in and encourage you to go check out my post "the best thing that's ever happened to me" maybe it'll help you too. the site on there does a very good estimate on calories based on the foods you're eating and what amounts of each. its amazing. hope it may help you! good luck

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search