nausea and other ailments of being hungry

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 25th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Mellza's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
How do you guys cope with the hunger pains? If I am really hungry, I get nauseous then if I eat too much or too fast I puke. Which I guess isn't all too bad considering my objective. However, the hunger and turning stomach is intense. I've also noticed that since I am losing weight that my breath is horrid, or I have a bad taste in my mouth, tmi... I hate barking breath. Why is that and does anyone else notice that?

Mom to Logan, my beautiful angel son. 7/8/07 - 2/19/08
Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

Baby #3 on the way. EDD May 21st, 2012
SAHM, Student (science major). Volunteer (Arkansas Childrens Hospital).
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/melly.jeffers
Family blog: http://mellyjimandcounting.blogspot.com/
My first son Logan, 7/8/07 - 2/19/08.
6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

Logans blog: logansworld.blog.com
November 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
I usually eat some veggie or something....or drink water. It helps. But as far as the breath thing, I haven't noticed that yet.
November 25th, 2008, 12:17 PM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I leave the house if i'm getting hungry.. or go do laundry... I know that's not the funnest thing to do.. but it helps me keep my mind off food.

Not sure either about the breath thing.. might want to ask your doc about it since you are getting nausea and stuff like that.. cuz it might not be related to being hungry.. could indicate some other issue.
November 25th, 2008, 12:35 PM
RaspberryBeret's Avatar Kara mom to J & A
Send a message via Yahoo to RaspberryBeret
You should probably be eating more frequently if you are feeling sick from hunger. Maybe 5 or 6 small meals and snacks throughout the day so you never feel that way. I've had the feeling before and usually I just go grab something small like grapes, veggies, a yogurt drink and it goes away.

November 25th, 2008, 01:12 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Eat if you're hungry. Just find something healthy to eat. If you are truly feeling hungry then you really should eat. How many times a day are you eating? I eat 3 meals a day plus 2 to 3 snacks a day. If you make wise choices with your food there is no reason you shouldn't be able to eat 5 to 6 times a day. Are you doing really low carb? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause the bad breath. Really low carb diets always made me feel nauseous too. I don't do them.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 25th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommaDucks Send a message via Yahoo to MommaDucks
I get really really strong hunger pains too... I usually just grab a few carrots or something small like that

Nicole: Tom's Wife [5.7.05]; Mommy of Thomas [9.6.05], Collin [1.17.08], & Bailey [10.2.09]
November 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Well, the ladies here have already covered it all. You should definitely eat when you are hungry. I do 6-7 small meals a day so that I never expereince hunger pains. As for the breath, that is usually caused by low carb diets. It's not a good sign. You really need to evaluate your eating plan and increase your carb intake to a healthier level. I'll be glad to look at your eating plan and help you out with it if you want.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 25th, 2008, 07:14 PM
So on webmd it talks about a state of ketosis as a cause for bad breath? I'm not eliminating carbs, but cutting back... and I didn't think that was a bad thing?
today I've ate:
Whole wheat english muffin for bfast
green beans/potato's for lunch (boiled, nothing added to them besides salt to taste)
a stick of lf string cheese for a snack
and a very small bowl of whole w. pasta w/ red sause for dinner.

Now mind you the portions I am eating are on the small side (aside from breakfast)
I am not sure how many calories I am taking in, because I don't keep track. I try to make my biggest meal bfast, and then lessen the portions as the day goes on.

Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

November 25th, 2008, 07:27 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
So on webmd it talks about a state of ketosis as a cause for bad breath? I'm not eliminating carbs, but cutting back... and I didn't think that was a bad thing?
today I've ate:
Whole wheat english muffin for bfast
green beans/potato's for lunch (boiled, nothing added to them besides salt to taste)
a stick of lf string cheese for a snack
and a very small bowl of whole w. pasta w/ red sause for dinner.

Now mind you the portions I am eating are on the small side (aside from breakfast)
I am not sure how many calories I am taking in, because I don't keep track. I try to make my biggest meal bfast, and then lessen the portions as the day goes on.[/b]
Starvation can also cause ketosis. I have 2 diabetic children so I'm pretty well read on ketones. Just not eating enough period can cause this problem even if you are eating carbs. Honestly, that is not enough food. Of course you are feeling lousy! A whole wheat english muffin is 140 calories at most! What you have listed barely sounds like 600 or 700 calories. I really think you need to add some more food to your day.

November 25th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I guess I need to start monitoring my cal intake and make sure I am getting the correct amount. I've heard of some people weighing and measuring everything they put into their mouth. I'm not sure if I want to go that far, but its a thought just to learn how much is in what.

November 26th, 2008, 01:05 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You should do it for at least about a week, that way you learn how to estimate your correct portions if you don't want to keep taking exact measurements. That's what i'm doing at the moment. I know I would be eating so little had I not started measuring. I always under calculate when i'm dieting.

I know it sounds crazy writing everything you put in your mouth.. but again, do it for one week.. you'd be surprised at what exactly what and how much you are eating.

Last night while at the grocery store the kids pulled a box of Ritz crackers off the shelf.. seeing it of coarse they wanted me to open it for them.. since we were just sitting there waiting on DH I opened the box and gave them some. I could myself a bunch of times going for one.. and had I not been watching what I eat... I would have easily eaten half the package and not even realizing that I had eaten them.
November 26th, 2008, 05:46 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
I agree with Teresa, you're not getting anywhere near enough calories. I count calories but don't measure things. I'm anal retentive, but not that anal retentive, yet. LOL I go by my hand. Basically, it goes everywhere with you so you can't say you don't have your measuring cups and scale so you can't eat. A serving of pasta, rice, fruit, veggies, or anything you would have to spoon out is the size of your fist. A serving of meat, bread, sliced cheese, egg, and anything else flat is the palm of your hand. String cheese is the size of your first finger. I then try to get the pyramid in servings so I know I'm eating enough. I write down my calories, carbs, protein, and fat for each of those servings and total it up at the end of the day, or whenever during the day I get the urge. When I write stuff down if I'm lacking in a nutrient then I'll go extra for a food group that meets that nutrient need. Not enough protein, I'll eat more meats and diary (usually low or fat free dairy). Not enough carbs, then its fruits, veggies, and whole grains. Not enough fat, then I get my 1/2 cup of ice cream as a treat.

You also said that you didn't think going low carb was a bad thing, so let me give you just a few of the side effects of getting your carb intake too low. Bad Breath, memory loss, hair loss, tiredness, sluggishness, inability to concentrate. Remember, Carbohydrates are the primary source of fuel for the brain. Without enough carbs, brain function slows and that controls the rest of your body. Going too low in calories can have some bad side effects too. Amenoreah (Yeah, I know I didn't spell it right. I'm a personal trainer not an English teacher.) is a condition where you quit having periods. While that may sound heavenly, it actually means that you've damaged your reproductive system from going too low in calories/body fat. It's very common in people with anorexia and/or bulemia. Speaking of, bulemia can cause bad breath too, as well as horrible skin problems.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that food is your fuel. Without it, your body can't properly function. Food is not the enemy of weight loss. It just has to be used right. Just like gasoline can be a great tool when used in your car to get to work or to visit family and friends, but if used incorrectly, like to fuel a fire, it can be deadly. Just think of food as your gasoline. Use it to fuel your body, but try not to burn the house down.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 26th, 2008, 09:31 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Carbs can be bad. It just depends on what you are choosing for carbs. Since carbs are sugar they get a bad rap. If you are choosing foods that grow from the ground, vegetables, fruits and whole grains they are just what your body needs. I found a good article going to post that in another post as well so nobody misses it, but vegetables & fruits should be taking up half your plate at every meal. (Don't count potatoes since that's a starch more so than a vegetable.) The part that the low carb diets have right is reducing the sugar in your diet, which I do try to do, but I don't reduce carbs altogether.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search