best thing that ever happened to me!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
elletowe's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to elletowe
HI All! I've never stopped in here before, but seeing as how I'm 9 months pregnant right now with my 2nd child, nearly 170lbs when my normal weight is around 120 (I'm 5' short), I wanted to give you all a great place to go visit and some ideas...
Before I found out I was pregnant, I was TTC but also working very hard to lose weight and look good again in the process. Well it all worked out pretty great actually.. Just before I found out I was pregnant I had lost 15lbs in about a month to 6 weeks. I SWEAR ON MY LIFE! This is all I did.. about 4 times a week, sometimes more, I'd go to the gym (when we lived on the AFB) and start out on a stationary bike, then got on an elliptical machine that had special settings for different areas on the bod to work out.. afterward I'd get on the treadmill and jog, then to cool down, walked, then got on the stair climber. All of this was maybe about an hour long routine (Depending on the day I sometimes stayed longer) so about 15 minutes each, working my way up from a lower pace to a good hard run. I was reaching pulse rates of about 210. On top of my 4 times a week at the gym... and this is what I think really did it for me, without this part, the cardio I was doing wouldn't have impacted me nearly how it did. I know because I'd been working for a long time at losing a good amount of weight I'd gained thanks to some meds 2 years before..

HTTP://WWW.MYPYRAMIDTRACKER.GOV!!! Go there, put in your gender, age, height, weight and about how much physical exercise you get on a normal day and then start building your menus! It's perfect. It takes all of those things into account and gives you A. the servings of each food group you need to MAINTAIN your weight, or B. the servings of each food group you need to LOSE weight. on top of the servings for each food group, they also tell you how many calories you need, including fat calories, oils, etc. It's amazing and its free. No joke, I spent a lot of time online earlier this year researching the best ways to shed pounds quick and somehow I ran across this website. It's a Godsend. A government website that's helping people control their weight and in turn, helping improve people's health. You can use it for your entire family too, or just you. Its great stuff. I love it. I'm hoping that after 9 months of a complete lack of self discipline I can get back on a good diet and start slowly back into my fitness.

Also, to help give everyone a good start here are a few things that really helped me..
Instead of eating a whole fried egg, try just fried egg WHITES. Instead of white bread, 100% whole grain/wheat or multigrain bread. Splenda instead of sugar. More fish, chicken and turkey... substitute your ground beef for ground turkey, or mix it together to help make the beef more lean, I SWEAR it tastes the same! You can also get Turkey sausages and things that are normally beef, they're making with turkey.. turkey bacon is amazing too.
You may feel like you're eating nonstop everyday but trust me, if you're eating fresh fruits and vegetables, getting plenty of dairy and the right kinds of the grains and meats you need and not going over your FAT calories (if it tells you you're allotted 300 fat cals a day, don't eat more than that even if your total cals doesn't reach where it needs to be!!), you're going to notice a HUGE change very quickly. And keep in mind that walking does just as much work as running does, it just does it over a longer amount of time. Running for 30 minutes is usually about the equivalent to walking for an hour. ALSO I'd recommend that if you're trying to shed pounds and inches you do cardio only to start. After you've lost your weight and inches, then you can throw in weight training to help build up some muscle. I went at it backwards to start out and after 6 months of hardcore workouts and a reasonable diet I'd only lost 10lbs and still looked rounder than a doughnut =/

HOPE THIS HELPS! Happy thanksgiving everyone! (btw, if you have any questions feel free to email/pm me)

</div>
November 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Thanks for the link! I don't personally think 210 is a good heart rate to be at, but I do think it's a fabulous idea to rotate equipment and track your calories. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the board!

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Lol thanks! The 210 was definitely the max heart rate and I only kept it there for about 3-5 minutes. According to a lot of charts I've seen my "target heart rate" is only 130.. which is about what I get to when I'm walking on flat ground at a fairly slow pace (not pregnant of course). But it wasn't doing anything for me so I'd get up to about 160-170 between the bike and elliptical and then take it to about 180-190 jogging for about 10 minutes and the last 5 minutes I'd run as hard as I could. I was (and naturally am when pregnancy or idiotic medications don't give me another reason) a very small person. Normally I'm between 115 and 120. I was up near 150 after the meds and managed to work back down to about 140 after a year of sad workouts that didn't do anything (mostly because I was weight lifting more than I was doing cardio and I was still not eating quite right). After that website and the cardio I made my way from about 138 to 125 or so and then found out I was pregnant.

I'm doomed in pregnancy. Both times now I've stayed my prepreg weight until around 6 months along and then BANG! All the weight all at once. I topped at 153 with my son, and like I said, I'm probably close to a good 170 right now. I've gained a little more weight with my daughter than I should have and I've been walking a lot during the whole thing so.. not sure what's going on other than that after a point in my pregnancy I crapped out completely on my diet and have been living off frozen foods (bc DH just discharged from the AF Sept 1 and since then we've been 'residing' in my father-in-law's finished basement that has everything BUT a kitchen, we just have a microwave, toaster and a fridge that DH's grandfather got us) since then =/ I'm very much so looking forward to post pregnancy so that I can at least stop eating so much and can get back into some fitness routine again!

</div>
November 28th, 2008, 07:58 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Welcome!!!! I'm Tonya, a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. I love the MyPyramid site. That is basically what all nutritionists base our recommendations on and what we're taught in certification. It works wonders when you properly fuel your body doesn't it?

I also agree that cardio is great, but 210 is way too high of a heart rate for anyone. As a trainer, I would never allow you to have a heart rate that high because of the increased risk of a heart attack while doing it. When figuring your target heart rate range, a trainer (and the sites/equipment companies) use a simple formula. It is 220 minus your age is your Maximum Heart Rate and you workout at a percentage of that so that you get close enough to max to help strengthen your heart without risking dying from it. With properly eating and planning your workouts to include cardio at lower heart rates after weight training, you can burn just as much fat from it as you did with the higher heart rates.

Again, welcome and I look forward to getting to know you better and seeing your workouts and stuff after the baby is born. Congratulations!
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 28th, 2008, 05:47 PM
thank ya very much im glad someone else has heard of the pyramid. it seriously curved my entire workout to make it WORK! lol.. and after about a week the fact that i'd cut out pretty much all junk food wasn't such a hard thing to deal with anymore. it seems to me that if your body has what it needs, it doesn't create the feelings of cravings for stuff like chocolate, chips, pop, and candy.. i was getting to where anything processed, boxed mac and cheese and that sorta stuff was so far from the back of my mind i'd almost forgotten anything like it existed lol!

its great stuff. i really do hope i can get back on track a few weeks after my daughters born. it hurts my feet just standing up for 5 minutes at a time.. WAY too much weight's being carried right now =/

look forward to knowing all of you!

</div>
November 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
welcome and thanks for the info. I actually just started eating egg whites ( i get the egg beater egg whites) i love it...i have started eating multi grain pita bread and it's so good for you and great tasting. I eat lots of chicken and fish and turkey occasionally. I do only buy turkey sausage now (i love the round turkey sausage)

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search