Feel like a stranger

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2008, 08:09 AM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
I feel like a stranger in my own body. I look down and don't recognize what I see. I've been a bit bigger for a while now and haven't been tiny since high school, and I don't expect to be tiny again. I am just now starting to feel really bad about my weight. I had a baby almost three months ago and I've lost half of my pregnancy weight. Everything is saggy and yucky, and the stretch marks are horrendous. Oh and my boobs...lol terrible.....

My only choice is to diet right now because I have fibromyalgia and rheumatoid arthritis and working out is a feat. I can't hold barbells with my hands because my fingers hurt too bad (can't even pick up gallon of milk sometimes, unless I hold it from the bottom rather than the handle). My knees give out when I walk sometimes, and thats just walking. I would love to excercise but the pain is holding me back big time. I want to try yoga, I just need to work up the energy to do it after work. (Another wonderful affect of fibro...I have the energy of a sloth. Throw a three month old in and I'm in good shape!) I'm seeing a Dr. for it now and he's doing more tests to figure out what to do for me right now.... I am still bf'ing my baby so there might be limited help he can offer. BF'ing is super importatnt to me plus formula is just too darn expensive!

I'm a terrible dieter. The second I tell myself, NO you can't eat that, I WANT it! The few things I am trying to do to change is cutting soda out, drinking more water, not eating after 8 pm (would be 7 if I didn't work until 6:15-gotta have dinner), and just portioning my food better. I know what is good and what isn't but I just give in way too easy. DH makes cookies almost daily. He hates fruit and veggies...so I've taken to eating the crap he eats and none of it is healthy. I feel like if I want to eat healthy I have to eat alone. DH says I have to work out but doesn't realize how much physical pain I'm in every day. I just want to fit in a size 10 again. I'd be okay with getting to that at this point. UGH! Any advice????

November 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Welcome to the board! Fibromyalgia is definitely going to make things more challenging for you. I only know a little bit about it, but enough to know that it definitely is putting a challenge to you. Can you get insurance to cover physical therapy or something like that? Also, what about swimming? Do you have access to a pool? I know swimming is gentler on the body and I did a quick search and it looks like swimming is a good choice for fibromyalgia. Found a link for you. Swimming Could Help Fibromyalgia

As far as diet goes, start with trying to get half your plate full of fruit and veggies and drinking plenty of water and go from there. Glad to have you here and hope we can be supportive to you.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 28th, 2008, 08:28 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
HUGS!!! Fibromyalgia is a tough thing to live with because the impact of anything causes pain. I actually took a specialty course in Exercise and Women's Health Issues that included what to do with personal training clients who have fibro. The recommendation is non-impact exercise such as swimming. Is there a gym or something nearby that has an indoor heated pool? The non-impact of the pool should help you get some activity in without being in as much pain afterward and the heat will help with the arthritis. I too, have arthiritis, just osteo instead of rheumatoid, so I love the heated pool when I can get it. Unfortunately, there aren't any around here because in South Georgia, they want the outdoor pool to cool off in in the summer instead of a heated one to workout in during the winter. I bought a hot tub and put it in my back yard. It's not as deep as a pool so I can't swim, but I sit in it and do some stretches when I am having a hard time with movement because of the pain. I know it hurts, but exercise does help with the pain in the long run. It just unfortunately doesn't feel good for a long time first.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

November 28th, 2008, 08:30 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Quote:
HUGS!!! Fibromyalgia is a tough thing to live with because the impact of anything causes pain. I actually took a specialty course in Exercise and Women's Health Issues that included what to do with personal training clients who have fibro. The recommendation is non-impact exercise such as swimming. Is there a gym or something nearby that has an indoor heated pool? The non-impact of the pool should help you get some activity in without being in as much pain afterward and the heat will help with the arthritis. I too, have arthiritis, just osteo instead of rheumatoid, so I love the heated pool when I can get it. Unfortunately, there aren't any around here because in South Georgia, they want the outdoor pool to cool off in in the summer instead of a heated one to workout in during the winter. I bought a hot tub and put it in my back yard. It's not as deep as a pool so I can't swim, but I sit in it and do some stretches when I am having a hard time with movement because of the pain. I know it hurts, but exercise does help with the pain in the long run. It just unfortunately doesn't feel good for a long time first.[/b]
GMTA Tonya! Looks like we posted at the same time.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 28th, 2008, 11:15 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Bri

I just started with my weightloss journey. i started feeling really bad about myself and feeling "UGH" day in and day out... so I knew it was time for a change.

So sorry to hear about your condition... Tonya and Teresa gave you lots of good info.. hopefully you can use that to help you out a little. Take care and hope to see ya around here a lot
December 1st, 2008, 12:22 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
Thanks ladies! I would love to join a place with a pool and there are several close by but the member ship just costs too much money. I am going to ask my rheumatologist if there are any therapies that could be covered by insurance that I can do. I want so badly to be active again, but it's just not that simple. I'm going to look into joining the local Y because their membership might be cheaper and I don't need all the gym equipment right now. Thanks for the advice!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search