Our Thanksgiving Story

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2008, 09:25 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
My MIL's sister decided to do a big TG dinner with all the trimmings, so we drove from SO. Virginia to the DC/Maryland area. We were supposed to leave Thurs at 7am but ended up leaving after 9 am (MIL running a lot behind, but it was all good). I came by and had some breakfast...couldnt' get anything but hardy's so i tried to just keep it out of my mind that i had an egg cheese and bacon biscuit (guilt guilt) so much guilt i didn't even enjoy it, but i did not have hash browns.

MIL has IBS and happened to have a flare up on the way there...almost a few minutes on the interstate but was good for at least another 30-40 minutes b4 it was too much to hold and she had to GO GO GO GO GO. SHe took forever so me and the kids were stuck int eh car.

We continue driving and she thinks she may have to go again, but that ends up being a false alarm and we get to our destination by 1pm. My aunt wanted to start dinner by 1 or 2pm but when we get there it's not finished, but sure smelling yummy.

We sit around for a little bit, and my sister is on her way, when all of a sudden we hear a commotion in the kitchen. Someone asks how to put out a fire in the oven. You hear disagreements back and forth, you hear someone say salt, flour, water, open a window, close the oven door, smother it...don't close the window, no water, no flour...i don't know... IT was CRAZY...

So my MIL goes in there and tries to assess the situation and u see smoke everwhere, the smoke alarm is going off...she comes out and her eyes are fogged and she inhaled some smoke. That's when i get up and see this big puff of black smoke fill the kitchen into the living room and I know it's time to get out of there. All i could do was go to the couch, grab whatever coats i recognized, grabbed my baby and my purse and phone and started to call 911. All the while my daughter can't find her shoes anywhere and she's barefoot and while i am telling her to come on, she's like "i can't find my shoes, but i can't find my shoes" we are telling her SO WHAT...

then my little cousin (DH's) doesn't really know me, so when i tell her to come on (she's 4) she doesn't budge, so her mom has to yell and tell her to come with me...no one can find the kids coats but it doesn't matter cause we don't want this fire to get even more out of control. I get whoever and we head out...then DH's grandma didn't want ot leave the house cause it was cold lol Then you hear his aunt calling 911 also and she keeps repeating herself cause the operator can't understand her due to her slurring of words from a stroke or a series of strokes she has(d). So 3 of us are on the phone with 911, i am the only one who gets someone who can understand me and get info, everyone else is panicking or yelling. My cousin is running to neighbor's houses looking for more salt cause we ran out...then some neighbor comes out with a bucket of BLACK water...WTH...we say no thnks lol, coulda been old oil or something who knows!

Finally the fire is out, we can air out the house,t he firemen/women (as there were 2 petite firewomen) assess everything and say it's okay...The fire was caused by turkey juice drippings in the bottom of the oven that wasn't cleaned right away. it was fine when the oven was only one 175 but once it was put over the 300 degree mark, all hell broke loose...

all of this put a wrench in the eating so we didnt' eat till 7 and we didnt' get any home made desserts. Luckily one cousin brought a fruit tart and my sister had already ordered a carrotcake so we had both...(well i had CC and it was delicious!)

Now that we look back, that was the funniest and most memorabe TG we have had! If only ya'll could have seen and heard all that went on, my daughter not wanting to leave without her shoes so she'd rather get burned up, grandma dont' wanna be cold, but wants to know what hell feels like, my little cousin would rather burn up than go outside with me, 911 operators can't understand a word you say, the neighbor gives us BLACK water...where the HECK did they get that from? tooooooo funny

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

November 29th, 2008, 03:12 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow wow and more wow. Towards the end I couldn't help but laugh.. i was like.. omg.. this is crazy.

sounds like you guys will have lots to talk about for years to come. I'm glad everyone was okay and that the house didnt burn.
November 29th, 2008, 06:22 AM
yeah, it is such a funny story to tell and now we wish someone had video taped it! The commotionin the kitchen and the lack of cooperation leaving the house made for a very funny funny story

November 29th, 2008, 07:58 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Oh my goodness! I am glad everyone is okay. I'm sorry you didn't have your feast. That's one way to keep from overeating on Thanksgiving.

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
November 29th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Kris2you's Avatar Live-Laugh-Love
Send a message via MSN to Kris2you Send a message via Yahoo to Kris2you
Quote:
Oh my goodness! I am glad everyone is okay. I'm sorry you didn't have your feast. That's one way to keep from overeating on Thanksgiving.[/b]
wow what a story!! And ditto to what Teresa said!
November 30th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sjkduke Send a message via Yahoo to sjkduke
I'll have to remember that for next year---avoid overeating by starting a fire!!!!!!!!!

December 1st, 2008, 06:30 AM
Quote:
I'll have to remember that for next year---avoid overeating by starting a fire!!!!!!!!![/b]
Hahahahaha....well we were able to eat, but of course it cut down on what they actually had on the menu. So it is a good thing cause instead of gaining weight this weekend (i swore i was gonna gain back my weight) i LOST weight YIPPY lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search