Need motivation

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Mellza's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I've lost to date (from my starting point of weight loss) 22 lbs. I've been at 208 for the last week, which is my fault because of late night eating, poor choices, no exercise.
I am really tired lately and getting up early has been so hard, so I've been snoozing. I've heard from everyone I've talked to that morning exercise is the way to go... But any exercise is better then none...
I've been telling myself that once finals are over that I'll have more free time to exercise. Homework has been killing me, but its no excuse. I could sleep less.
The other night I had a BAD cave, I came home from class and DH didn't have anything for diner so I went and picked up pizza... I ate two peices and 3 bread sticks (lovely carb overload)
and the next morning I had three peices for breakfast, and soup for diner and that was all I ate, thinking that I should make up for my slip.

I just want to figure out how to stay on top of this excersising, I know that it is the key role to play in weight managment... but the truth is, I really hate it... I have an eclipital in my living room (a nice one mind you) and I feel so guilty for not using it every day... help help help!

Mom to Logan, my beautiful angel son. 7/8/07 - 2/19/08
Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

Baby #3 on the way. EDD May 21st, 2012
SAHM, Student (science major). Volunteer (Arkansas Childrens Hospital).
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/melly.jeffers
Family blog: http://mellyjimandcounting.blogspot.com/
My first son Logan, 7/8/07 - 2/19/08.
6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

Logans blog: logansworld.blog.com
December 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Okay, I got lots of thoughts for you. My first one is you are so worth this! So dig in to the inside of you, the part that wants to be healthy and bare down. You can do this! If fast food in a time crunch is a problem for you go through all your local stomping grounds and look at their nutrition info. Figure out one or two options from each place that you can eat and still stay healthy. Write it down on a sheet of paper and shove it in your purse. Now every time you are feeling that way you have an emergency out. I eat fast food not all the time, but I do eat it. I get kids meals a lot now and get the burger or turkey sandwich and then applesauce, apple fries, apple dippers, or whatever fruit they are throwing in their kids meals. Little Caesar's cheese pizzas are not that bad in calories. I have either 2 slices of cheese pizza and a salad or 1 slice and 2 breadsticks with sauce and a salad and voila pizza craving solved. Some of the other pizza places are not as nice in calories, but most of them still have a light option. Just make a plan to tackle fast food and don't be afraid to eat out if you need to. Feeling deprived is one sure way to sabotage your efforts. And if you are in this for the long haul you know it's not so practical to rule out fast food entirely.

Now onto the exercise, if morning workouts aren't working for you, then they aren't working for you. Stop wasting energy on getting upset about it and find a time that will work for you and stick with it. I tried and tried to get into a routine of exercising before my kids got up and I just couldn't do it. I was just too tired and it just wasn't going to work for me. Now that I have settled on a time that will work for me I am doing much better.

You are so close to being out of the 200s! Do you have any idea how awesome you will feel breaking that barrier? I promise you it will feel awesome and YOU CAN DO THIS! So I expect to see you knock off some mileage on your elliptical today and post it in our 1000 mile challenge!!

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
December 4th, 2008, 12:02 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
HUGS!!! I so understand trying to fit exercise in with a heavy course load. I'm doing 13 hours this semester, tutoring 15 hours a week, personal training 10 hours a week, and homeschooling my DD. It gets to be overwhelming trying to schedule it all in, I know, but you can do it! What has worked best for me is to get a planner and write everything down in a schedule. I schedule exercise just like I schedule appointments with clients, classes, and study time. It's a bit anal retentive, but it works. I also keep some quick options at home for dinners for just in case it isn't ready when I get home. Frozen dinners aren't the best option, but a Healthy Choice meal is better then fast food, ya know. Honestly, though, my best advice is to do a little soul searching to find out why you need to add exercise to your schedule. I'm not talking about a weight goal or even a size goal as vanity isn't the best motivator for most people. Search deep as to why you want to be healthier. Then you aren't just letting yourself down if you don't do it, but also your family because you won't be healthy enough to be around for them later. That is a much stronger motivation for most people, anyway. Its amazing how we can let ourselves down all the time but really work hard not to let others down. Anyway, once you find your reason, make a positive goal statement about it and post it everywhere. Write it on your notebook, post it on your fridge, on your computer, etc. Anytime you feel the lack of motivation, read it! Then read it again and again and again until you get sick of reading and want to workout so you don't have to read it again! Again, very anal retentive, but it works. LOL

One other thing, and I don't mean to sound mean with it so please don't take it that way. I'm just a blunt person sometimes because sometimes that is what people need. I tell my clients all the time who say they don't have time for exercise, "Did you have time for a shower today? Did you have time to brush your teeth today? Yes, so you had time to exercise, you just have to choose to make it a priority to take care of your body just like you take care of your hygiene. You can do this, even if it is only 15 minutes a day squeezed in here and there. You just have to make it important to you."
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

December 4th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Mellza's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow, great advice. thanks! After writing this I decided to do a quick 20 min. I dont have any kids right now, but I babysit from my home (around 50 hrs a week) and the schedule varies from week to week, its hard to schedule anything. But I guess you ladies are mothers and know what I am talking about, you've lived it. I coudn't agree more, that I put homework, christmas cards, cleaning, whatever in front of taking care of myself. I actually had two free hours last night and instead of working out I was glued to the internet hopelessly trying to find a diagnosis for my son. Long story, but I guess a lot of my motivation comes from wanting to be a healthy woman, I want to better myself for my son (which is why I am in school) and I hope to one day be a healthy pregnant woman, healthy mom, wife, ect. but I talked to the geneticist last week and every time I talk to him I get scared and feel like my dreams of motherhood are shot. Perhaps my motivation is in the wrong place, because my ideal path towards motherhood may never be reached. My cycle is, I get bored and I'm left with my thoughts, so cure the bores by eating. I have never taken the time to grieve my son, quite truthfully. I just keep trying to fill that void with something, but I realize that will never work. Truth be told I need about a year vacation to cry it out but circumstances prevent any such holiday. I feel like I've let down my son down by not acknowledging my loss, I feel like by holding back the tears and pain I am denying how much he meant to me. Its so difficult to do anything, because in everything I do I want to honor him, and I want his importance in my life to never be ignored but that's exactly what I've had to do to carry on. Ever since I really started cracking down on the food thing I've been extremely depressed. I've quit doing my hair/make up... I guess maybe this is apart of dealing with my thoughts instead of pushing them away... Sorry to ramble... I think I just had a mini-epiphany.

Mom to Logan, my beautiful angel son. 7/8/07 - 2/19/08
Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

Baby #3 on the way. EDD May 21st, 2012
SAHM, Student (science major). Volunteer (Arkansas Childrens Hospital).
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/melly.jeffers
Family blog: http://mellyjimandcounting.blogspot.com/
My first son Logan, 7/8/07 - 2/19/08.
6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

Logans blog: logansworld.blog.com
December 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
((((Hugs)))) Think about your little angel when you are working out. Think of him being beside you and how very proud he would be of you. I am so very sorry for your loss and nothing I can say will make that any easier. You do the best you can and that's all you can do. You are so close to breaking out of the 200s. Think about how much healthier you will be! Hang in there sweety, but don't give up on yourself!

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search