In preparation for weigh in...

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
here's the link if you wanna see the article: http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.co...le-to-fat.html
As you can see, the 5 lbs. of fat is much bulkier than the 5 lbs. of muscle, but five pounds is still five pounds. Muscle does not weigh more than fat.

Fat is bulky and lumpy so if you carry an extra five pounds of fat, you'll be lumpier than with five pounds more muscle. A five pound pile of fat will take up more space (volume) than a five pound pile of muscle; but five pounds is still five pounds, so for those of you that don't "get" English, you cannot say one thing weighing a certain weight weighs more than another thing at that same weight. It's a common joke to play on an 8-year old. The correct way to state the muscle weighs more than fat scenario is, "Muscle is heavier by volume than fat."

A woman weighing 150 pounds with 19% fat will look much smaller (and be much healthier) than a woman at 150 pounds with 35% fat. They weigh the same, yet the composition is different. Because muscle is more dense than fat the person with less fat and more muscle will look smaller.

Stop being so obsessed with body weight and start paying attention to body composition. How much body fat do you have compared to muscle? Simply seeing how much you weigh isn't very helpful.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

February 5th, 2009, 11:19 PM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
and also remember that if the scales goes up a bit, it might be because you are adding muscle to your body composition... and just because say you gain 1lb of muscle.. doesn't necessarily mean you lost 1 lb of fat, the fat might still be there and therefor you'll see the increase in weight until you lose the fat too. hope that makes sense.
February 6th, 2009, 04:08 AM
exactly! this is why my leg measurements were 28" this last go around. I haven't been losing fat in my legs, but i can touch them and see that i've gotten muscle. I am not bummed because i know that once the fat starts leaving my thighs, ima be the bomb lmao!

February 6th, 2009, 07:01 AM
dorkymommy
How do you figure out how much body fat you have?
February 6th, 2009, 09:07 AM
there are several different tests...i have an omron body fat analyzer...they have it at the gym as well. There is also an underwater test. My analyzer was about 35 bucks,i bought it online.

oh and u can use calipers, but IDK anything about them. Tonya and Ana do i think

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search