Hi, I'm new!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
jillylicious's Avatar mom always liked you best
Hey there you hot mamas! I'm new to the board!

My name is Jilly and my little man Jack is nearly 11 months () I've been trucking along on a weight loss journey since he was born but I am DEFINITELY at a plateau, and need to get revved up!

I am 5'5" and 27 years old. I weighed about 175 when I became pregnant and gained 30lbs in 34 weeks. After a week in the hospital before I delivered (no scale, so I don't know what I weighed -- but I'd bet the farm it was over the 200lb mark) I was finally sent home (sans baby, I'm afraid -- he needed a NICU stay) and I started work on getting back down to a healthy weight.

Well here I am 11 months later and weighing in at 144lbs. Technically that's a healthy weight for my height, but I'd like see 125 as my final, all time, throw a parade, I'm on cloud 9, etc. weight. I wear a size 8 now, but I want to be in a 6 (and hey, if I can take a 4, you won't hear me complaining! HA!)

Over the holidays I gained 5lbs and lost it again, and now I'm another 2-3lbs below that... but... my loss has slowed down drastically! I was losing a pound a week and now I'm lucky to see a half a pound a week.

Tips? I work out for 30-35 minutes a day on the elliptical, and take a weekly cardio-dance-fusion class on Sundays that is 90 minutes long. Gym membershpi is not an option for me b/c there are no gyms in my area that provide childcare, and DH's hours can be wonky so it's tough for him to commit to being home to babysit at an exact time. I LOVE Pilates and am trying to find a good Pilates DVD.

Any suggestions anyone has, I'm happy to hear 'em!
February 8th, 2009, 02:58 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Welcome! I'm Tonya, your hostess here and a certified personal trainer and sports nutritionist. I'm not on here much during the week because I'm currently taking an 18 hour course load in college working on a degree in sports medicine/athletic training. But I'm here on the weekends, especially Sundays, to help with any ideas or help you need. Be sure to take part in our weekly challenges and goal threads and daily food & exercise log. They really help motivate me into eating healthier and trying to do some form of movement everyday.

Speaking of movement, I would highly recommend adding in some resistance training to your program. Resistance training helps build bone density, as well as muscle, so that you have less of a risk of osteoporosis later in life. Also by building a little muscle, you burn more calories throughout your day even when you aren't exercising. You don't have to lift heavy or bulk up, just some light hand weights or resistance bands, or even can goods and water bottles, will help tone and firm the muscles.

As for Pilates, my favorite Pilates DVD's are New York Style Pilates. I got mine on eBay a couple of years ago, so I'm not sure where to get them now, but they are the best. And I have the Winsor and the Stott ones too, along with ton of others, but New York Style is by far my favorite. Winsor and Stott are good too. I got my Stott set at Ross Dress for Less a few years ago too. I think it was a 4 pack for like $10, but Ross stores vary from store to store, so you may or may not be able to find good video deals at yours. I got several in North Carolina and then when I moved to south Georgia, I can't get a video at the Ross here, hardly. There are lots of other good places to get DVDs too. One of my favorites is www.collagevideo.com. They have clips you can view to decide what you want to buy.

Anyway, welcome to the board. I look forward to getting to know you better.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

February 8th, 2009, 03:21 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Jilly.

Awhile back I bought The Method, Complete pilates... but I think I tried doing them when I was soo out of shape.. I couldnt' do many of the moves so I got discouraged. The dvds were catered to people that know pilates I think because they wouldnt' explain anything.. they would just go into the moves and expect you to follow right behind. It actually turned me off from Pilates and I've never been back to it.

Anyway..that's my experience with it.. hope you find some good dvds and like them

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search