Weekly Menu Review

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2009, 04:42 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Okay, in response to a previous post, I'm going to post one of the daily logs from the previous week for us all to review. By no means are we picking on anyone, and quite honestly, I'm not even looking at the names when I go through them. But we all need to start thinking about what we are eating and how we can improve our menus, so this is a great exercise for all of us to do with our own daily log, not just this one. Anyway, here is the daily food intake I picked for this week. Review each meal with what you would change and why.\

Breakfast - bagel with cream cheese
Snack - Yogurt
Lunch - Mac and Cheese
Snack - Cheese stick
Dinner - Goulash - hamburger, chopped tomatos and macaroni
Snack - Bagel

Water - 24 oz.

My review:

Breakfast--make sure it is a whole wheat bagel and low fat or fat free cream cheese. Also, I'd add in more protein, either eggs (egg beaters) or maybe some turkey bacon, because it is a high carb meal as is and needs to be balanced with protein
Snack--add in a fruit to make it more balanced
Lunch--homemade with whole wheat pasta and 2% cheese so it isn't too high in fat. I'd also add in some lean chicken breast to up the protein.
Snack--Since you've already gotten 3 servings of diary, I'd go for more fruits and veggies here. Maybe a salad with some grilled chicken or turkey and fat free dressing.
Dinner--I love goulash! Made with extremely lean ground beef (93 or 96% lean) and whole wheat pasta it can be very healthy. I'd add in some more whole grains and fruits and veggies because of a lack in those areas.
Snack--Whole wheat is good, but maybe add in a protein.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

February 8th, 2009, 05:31 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
Snack - Yogurt
Lunch - Mac and Cheese
Snack - Cheese stick
Snack - Bagel

Water - 24 oz.

For breakfast, I agree with Tonya.

with the yogart I would add strawberries or banana (whatever fruit you like) and i'd add some granola or some healthy, crunchy cereal

for lunch, i'd add some peas or broccoli to the mac n cheese along with some meat, gould be ground turkey, chicken, beef (all lean).

for snack, I also agree with Tonya, but if you had a taste for a cheese stick i would probably still eat an apple with it or grapes

I agree with tonya on the dinner as well. Since you didn't have a lot of veggies (green) i'd make a simple side salad with it.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

February 8th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Snack - Yogurt
Lunch - Mac and Cheese
Snack - Cheese stick
Snack - Bagel

Water - 24 oz.

---------------------
Breakfast--whole wheat bagel with egg, cheese slice, and turkey ham, glass of oj
Snack--yogurt (maybe with granola)
Lunch--whole wheat mac/cheese with 2% cheese or Velveeta, grilled chicken, and veggies (You can add in the chicken and veggies to the mac/cheese. We often add tuna and peas to our boxed mac/cheese.)
Snack--cheese stick with some fruit
Dinner--goulash (whole grain pasta), salad or steamed veggies, glass skim milk
Snack--I personally like to eat cereal and milk for snacks. Maybe try some whole grain cereal with skim milk and strawberries or a banana thrown in.
Water--You should try to get a minimum of 64 ounces daily. I have a 32 ounce cup that I fill up at least 3x/day.

BREAKDOWN
fruits/veggies--5 servings
grains--6 servings
protein/meat--4 servings
dairy--6 servings

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

February 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
** I would totally nix the bagel and replace it with a whole wheat english muffin, and use a fat free cream cheese, and I would have ate the yogurt you had for snack as part of your breakfast to get your protein in ** Check this out, look at the amount of carbs in a bagel with cream cheese.
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-waw...m-cheese-i67646
and now look at the amount of carbs in a whole wheat english muffin
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-eng...-toasted-i18267
and here's the fat free cream cheese
http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-fat...am-cheese-i1186

Snack - Yogurt ** I'd eat an apple or banana **

Lunch - Mac and Cheese ** Nope, I dont' even touch this stuff. The serving size is only 2 oz.. and there's no way 2 oz of anything is going to fill you up. http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-kra...ese-easy-i99067 I would eat some whole wheat pasta, pan seared talapia with green beans.. delicious **

Snack - Cheese stick ** hmm.. too much cheese for the day already... Try a FiberOne bar **

Dinner - Goulash - hamburger, chopped tomatos and macaroni ** Had pasta for lunch.. would consider making a different type of carb. Baked potatoe, 3 oz grilled chicken, side salad **

Snack - Bagel ** Nix the bagel... if you really need a carb for a snack, eat 1/2 cup of cereal w/ 1/2c skim milk **

Water - 24 oz. ** definitley more water **
February 8th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Mellza's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
trade bagel for ww eng. muffin, throw some egg beaters in the middle of that bun, and wa-la. Throw on a little 2% sliced cheese and skim milk
Snack - Yogurt
Add light yogurt w/ strawberry, splenda and skim milk, blend into shake... YUM
Lunch - Mac n Cheese
trade for ww pasta, and make cheese sause w/ milk and low fat velveeta? (spell?) heavy on the noodle, light on the sause... Throw in some tuna...
Snack - Cheese stick
add almonds, sunflower seeds and a fruit
Dinner - Goulash - hamburger, chopped tomatos and macaroni... trade hamburger for turkey burger, ww pasta, add more veggies, and use a low fat/low sugar by Ragu, Or make your own using the packets found at the store.
Snack - I would trade the bagel for a 100 cal pack of something yummy for desert....

Water - 24 oz.

oh a water tip, but the HUGE straws at the store and chug baby!

Mom to Logan, my beautiful angel son. 7/8/07 - 2/19/08
Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

Baby #3 on the way. EDD May 21st, 2012
SAHM, Student (science major). Volunteer (Arkansas Childrens Hospital).
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/melly.jeffers
Family blog: http://mellyjimandcounting.blogspot.com/
My first son Logan, 7/8/07 - 2/19/08.
6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

Logans blog: logansworld.blog.com
February 9th, 2009, 08:13 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Breakfast -<strike> bagel with cream cheese</strike>I've never been a bagal fan. Instead, try scrambled eggs with some mushrooms, onions and green peppers and a bit of LF cheese added in with a slice of wheat toast and either jelly or fat free spray butter
Snack - Yogurt add a piece of fruit here too
Lunch - Mac and Cheese add in some lean ground beef, and some veggies on the side. Generally with this I use corn and green beans
Snack - Cheese stickToss in a serving of wheat thins too, and maybe even another fruit.
Dinner - <strike>Goulash - hamburger, chopped tomatos and macaroni</strike> brown rice, baked chicken a bit of soy sauce for flavoring, and some veggies, broccoli, mushrooms and tomatoes
Snack - <strike>Bagel</strike> trade this in for some LF pudding or something equally as yummy!

Water - 24 oz. Definitely bump this way way up. A minimum of 64 ounces. If you are working out much, add even more.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
February 12th, 2009, 04:16 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
Most of these suggestions are pretty good. I do want to point out though that Carbs are not the enemy. Carbs are the primary source of fuel for the brain, so you can't cut them without serious consequences. As I said earlier, I would make sure the bagel was whole grain, but you don't have to remove it from the meal plan, just make it healthier. Whole Wheat English Muffins are good too, though, just another option for another day so that you don't get bored with the same old, same old, ya know.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

February 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
it looks okay to me but I'm a carb fan. However it is lacking completely in fruits and veggies! I see 1 serving in the tomato sauce at dinner but nothing else. Definitely need some more in there.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search