What has worked for you?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2009, 12:42 PM
HeathJS28's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see a lot of success stories here and I really want a healthy start to this.

I usually eat whole grains in general anyway but my pitfall is weekends of course and sweet tea (i'm in the south...it's required ).

Are you on weight plans like South Beach or Weight Watchers? Do you just watch what you eat and exercise?

I liked weight watchers but we are big on eating out and it was making my mind spin trying to count points...

Thanks Jessica (dettmer26) for my wonderful siggy!
February 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
mrsroseblack's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Location: Originally from Texas, In Delaware and moving to Alaska!
I do WW and I love it. www.dwlz.com is a great site to visit for restaurant points! There are tons of restaurants listed.

Thank you Cherry Berry. for my adorable siggy!

February 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
eating right and exercise. I hate that it's as simple as that, but i love that it's as "simple" as that. I understand the eating out, i honestly think that's why i got to where i was. We would eat out during the week fast food and then sit down restaurants on the weekends. We love to eat. I would suggest having your tea with splenda vs. regular sugar to start. You will be able to eat out but not as often. I know it's a southern thing, but you'll have to eliminate most of the eating. When u do go out, you have to eat half a portion, or if you go to a restaurant get the leaner meals (still eat about half). Start measuring your food. I haven't deprived myself of the good ol' restaurant food, but i've had to be firm and say NO. Once in a while you can splurge, it's good to have that fluctuation anyways.

I really suggest logging your food on a site like dailyplate.com (a lot of us use it), incorporate some sort of cardio (start at 20 minutes if you are out of shape), eliminate excess soda and sugary drinks, eliminate frivilous snack eating, and measure your portions. Even when iw as eating healthy, i wasn't measuring my food and now i see i was eating double portions of EVERYTHING lol.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

February 12th, 2009, 01:11 PM
mrs_pbow's Avatar I'LL ROCK YOUR SOCKS
Send a message via Yahoo to mrs_pbow
hey hey I'm southern and I don't drink sweet tea

Eating right and drinking lots of water. Like Pamala said, simple as that, as hard as simple is!

<3
February 12th, 2009, 01:14 PM
HeathJS28's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
SIMPLE isn't as SIMPLE as it appears to be.

I use to look down on people who smoked, but really, eating is just as much of an addiction as smoking. So I shut my mouth.

I'll check out thedailyplate.com and thanks ya'll for the encouragement and suggestions.

It really makes a huge difference having people going through this with me.

Thanks Jessica (dettmer26) for my wonderful siggy!
February 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM
ThatStaceyGirl's Avatar Oh noes!
Send a message via Yahoo to ThatStaceyGirl
I watch my calories and try to maintain a healthy intake of carbs, fats, and proteins.
I used a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator, then added that to an AMR (Active Metabolic Rate) calculator. I just redid it and found out I need to be adding more calories to my diet. My exercise has increased in intensity since starting.
I use a different website (SparkPeople) to help me track my intake of food. If I bite it, I write it.
I also log my activity every day. I do Tae Bo 6 days a week.
Along with drinking 8 glasses of water a day.

It's a great lifestyle change.

February 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
Quote:
SIMPLE isn't as SIMPLE as it appears to be.

I use to look down on people who smoked, but really, eating is just as much of an addiction as smoking. So I shut my mouth.

I'll check out thedailyplate.com and thanks ya'll for the encouragement and suggestions.

It really makes a huge difference having people going through this with me.[/b]
Oh i know hon' it's simple because there's no hocus pocus, but it's hard because giving up foods in excess, especially our favorites is hard. I've been a smoker before, so I know it's hard to quit. Luckily, just like when i was fed up with smoking, with a little diligence i quit. This weight loss road has not been easy, i struggled because i didn't want to give up on all the goodness in my life (that was food), but yet all that goodness was what was making me feel like crap at the end of the day. Once I finally had the nerve to go at this i've learned and accomplished so much. Now i've slipped up, but i refuse to start over again.

Everything comes at a cost, eating the yummy foods comes at a cost around our hearts, hips, bellies, butts and thighs etc... Eating right comes at a cost, we can't have as much as we want of those foods BUT we can have it in moderation. The benefits of eating the yummy food is temporary satisfaction. The benefits of eating right includes, feeling good, looking good, better health and you don't have to go without a big mac, just can't eat em as often.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

February 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Same as mrs pbow and Pamala. Good luck!

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

February 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love WW. But really whatever plan fits your style is the plan for you. If you hate counting points or calories then WW is definitely out and doing some like South Beach might work better. But I love WW. I love that no food is off limits. I can have high point days where I can go out and enjoy myself really well. I like I earn extra pts by exercising.

I just love the program. I do it online for something like $16.95/mo.
February 12th, 2009, 11:27 PM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
just wanted to say good luck.... and the girls have given you lots of good advice... and I too just count calories (well should be lol) but starting monday i'm definitely going to be deligent about it again.
February 13th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The only way I have ever been successful losing weight is by counting calories. To me it is very simple- burn more than I take in. Of course easier said than done. I started paying close attention to what I was eating. I found I was grazing all day as well as eating a solid 3 meals. Now I make sure I only eat 1 portion at meal time by measuring and weighing my food. I don't allow myself to graze and I have scheduled snack times. Sometimes I feel like I want to eat when it is not time again so I keep the little 5 calorie cups of jello in the fridge. That way I can still snack more than I am supposed to, but not have to feel bad about it. For me keeping the jello in the fridge has been one of the best things I could have done. In the beginning I was getting one all the time and now I only have one every couple of days. When I get temted to overeat or eat something I shouldn't, I ask myslef how long I'd have to exercise to burn off the calories. That is usually enough for me not to eat it. I'll admit the last few weeks I have really slacked on logging my food, but I have continued to lose. That's because I kept up with my routine of only eating when I should. Watching my calorie intake and measuring my food.
February 13th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do the snack thing too except I use baby carrots. My first week on WW I probably ate a 2lb bag of baby carrots. I'm surprised I didn't turn orange But now I only occasionally grab a few. Usually while I'm making dinner because I'm usually hungry and don't want to take tastes or licks which will add pts!
February 13th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Mellza's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I am coming onto a year of this "health quest" ... got serious about four months ago... for me it has been a LOT of trail and error... I didn't want to go "all in" because its not all or nothing... its not a race, its a transformation on the mind, and that is kind of what I've took along with me. Slowly I have changed my life style... I dont do programs (because they cost so much) sometimes I'll do dailyplate, which is very helpful as a wake up call if you "think" your doing good, but not seeing results. I am a CARB junkie! But I have started to re-train myself, and now I crave other foods... like almonds and yogurt. I've given up a lot of things that I really liked (and ate a lot of) for example:
coffee creamer
butter or marg. spread on bread, waffle, pancakes, or anything else you'd spread butter on (but I do cook or bake w/ it if needed)
chips (outside of the occasional tortilla chip at the local Mexican dive)
Ice cream .. (instead I do fat free pudding, or weight watchers fudge bars... something that is in portion sized... )
All white flour
Egg yolk & beef ... just to name a few..
Ranch dressing (unless low fat or fat free)
This has took me over a year to work these things out of my life... It may or may not have affected the scale a whole lot... but these are things that my body does not need (besides like steak, which I will have twice a year or so) .. I think if it rots on the counter, its good to put into your body... If its natural in its color, its good to put into your body... Those kind of rules...
My guilty little pleasures are: diet coke, hot wings, pizza, beer, starbucks ... I think my greatest hurdle will be portion control.... that is kind of "what i put into my mouth" ... but i try not to deprive but make balanced decisions. I think exercise is underestimated. For my body to lose weight, I have to work out... and not just for 20 mins a few times a week... I really have to give it my all... On a good and perfect week, I would have worked out for 5 hours, over 5 days. Which amounts to 1 hour per day. 15 strength training, 45 min cardio. And by the end I've got to be sweating because that is how my body loses weight. That is on a good week... This week has been bad, I've worked out TWICE... and I am so ashamed because I want this, I have all of the tools to do this... but time has not been on my side lately... and that is my greatest struggle, the balancing act...

Mom to Logan, my beautiful angel son. 7/8/07 - 2/19/08
Collin , born on Oct. 15th 2010, 9.11 lbs. 100% breastfeeding, cloth diapered, all organic goodness.

Baby #3 on the way. EDD May 21st, 2012
SAHM, Student (science major). Volunteer (Arkansas Childrens Hospital).
Facebook :http://www.facebook.com/melly.jeffers
Family blog: http://mellyjimandcounting.blogspot.com/
My first son Logan, 7/8/07 - 2/19/08.
6 months in the NICU, 1 month at home, missed and thought about every single day.

Logans blog: logansworld.blog.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search