Is there such a thing as too much exercise?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2009, 10:06 AM
tinymomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to tinymomma
I'm just wondering b/c hubby said no way! Exercise is great for your body and mind. So far today (I feel motivated so Im going with it lol) I did the 30 DS then I did her NMTZ (no more trouble zones) and now I want to go on the treadmill for 45 minutes. If I do all of this I will have over 2 hrs of exercise in for today. I'm gonna be starving tonight!!! lol oh and all of this on top of everything else a mommy/housewife does

wife to Chad
SAHM to Megan 10, Elijah 8, Andrew 6, and Joshua 3.
February 16th, 2009, 10:36 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
there is such thing... with cardio you can get away with doing it everyday.. but with strength training your body needs time to repair and recover itself. I'm sure Tonya can explain it better.
February 16th, 2009, 10:39 AM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
and with all of that i am sure you'd need to eat like 1800 calories

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

February 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
so I only did 30 minutes on my treadmill (4mph and added a 5% uphill).....phew. I'm tuckered out! I just really want to see some weight loss this week....that would make me SO happy!

wife to Chad
February 16th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh! I did not know that...I knew that when it hurts, it means you need to take it easier, and knew that if you do 2 hours, you need ot make it consistent to avoid confusing the body or something close to this...but now I learn more about muscle relaxing.
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
February 16th, 2009, 11:10 AM
ThatStaceyGirl's Avatar Oh noes!
Send a message via Yahoo to ThatStaceyGirl
Quote:
there is such thing... but with strength training your body needs time to repair and recover itself. I'm sure Tonya can explain it better.[/b]
I'm going to agree. My DH has explained to me multiple times how it's possible to overdo strength training.

February 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
where are your children? How do you manage to do so much if you have kids running around? I have a 2 year old tantruming on the kitchen floor right now - I can't even imagine trying to work out.

I'm so envious of you, please share your secrets!
February 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Well today was a challenge, I had to stop the DVD several times to get Josh stuff or distract him. He was sitting on me when I was doing floor work, lol. I usually try to exercise when he's taking his nap (I usually have 2 hrs). I usually turn the computer on for my 5 year old or in the afternoons 3 days a week he's at preschool and the others are in school My house does suffer a bit b/c I'd rather be working out then cleaning lol

wife to Chad
February 16th, 2009, 04:24 PM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
It depends on the person as to what is too much for them, but it is possible to overtrain with any form of exercise. As your conditioning improves, you will be able to do more and more without the drawbacks of overtraining, but you really need to build up to doing 2+ hours a day; don't just jump into it.

The effects of overtraining can be feelings of exhaustion, sluggishness, lack of results, headaches, body aches, inability to complete your workout, etc. So, yeah, you can definitely do more harm then good when you overtrain.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

February 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Quote:
It depends on the person as to what is too much for them, but it is possible to overtrain with any form of exercise. As your conditioning improves, you will be able to do more and more without the drawbacks of overtraining, but you really need to build up to doing 2+ hours a day; don't just jump into it.

The effects of overtraining can be feelings of exhaustion, sluggishness, lack of results, headaches, body aches, inability to complete your workout, etc. So, yeah, you can definitely do more harm then good when you overtrain.[/b]

thanks Tonya. How many days of the week do you suggest running on the treadmill? I was thinking 2-3 days....
I also have a strength workout (jillian michaels no more trouble zones) and a two cardio biggest loser DVDs. I would do those the remaining 3 days?
How many days do you do the strength workout? That is the one that is important that I don't overdo right??
And what are the best exercises for a smaller person?

wife to Chad

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search