I was looking into this oxidation diet stuff

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
have you heard about it?

You have slow oxidizers, fast oxidizers and balanced oxidizers. I took the quiz Oxidation Quiz which is at the bottom of the page. I turn out to be a fast oxidizer but to me the thought of eating mostly protein makes me sick. I can not do low carb diets, the literally make me sick and faint. I would have thought for sure I'd be a slow oxidizer.

Oh well, I don't think it really matters that much as long as you eat less and move more. In the end that is really the only way to lose weight.
February 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM
peacoxx's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to peacoxx
that's what they have on Jillian Michaels site, i apparently am a balanced oxidizer.

Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

February 17th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Oh wow it is Jillian's oxidizer test lol

February 17th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
but whats the deal with it?

February 17th, 2009, 06:20 PM
lemme see what the website says..

Below you will find your Oxidizer type, which helps you determine how your body deals with the three basic macronutrients in food — carbohydrates, proteins, and fats — as well as recommended foods that will help you take full advantage of the way your body burns calories. The more you understand the way your body processes what you eat, the easier it is to custom-design your lifestyle around foods that will help you achieve your ideal weight while optimizing your energy, strength, and mental clarity.

HERE U GO

Fast Oxidizers

Keep in mind that carbohydrates are made of smaller molecules called glucose. The more complex the carbohydrate, the more glucose molecules linked together. Fast oxidizers breakdown the nutrients in their food rapidly; as a result, glucose is released into the blood quickly. The carbs you consume will be turned into energy immediately; your body will store the excess carbs as fat. So for a fast oxidizer, foods with high carb ratios cause fatigue and carb cravings and promote fat storage.

Fast oxidizers should eat foods with more proteins and fats in order to slow their rate of oxidation, and to better promote stable glucose (blood sugar) and sustained energy levels. Make sure there is protein in everything you eat, including snacks. Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 20 percent carbs, 50 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.

Proteins
All proteins are not created equal. In addition to chicken and fish, I suggest eating a wide range of proteins that will help slow your rate of oxidation, including: organ meats (pâté, liver, etc.), herring, sardines, anchovies beef, bacon, dark-meat chicken, duck, lamb, spareribs, dark-meat turkey, veal, wild game, salmon, shellfish (mussels, lobster, shrimp, crab, oys*ters, scallops), octopus, squid, dark tuna, cottage cheese, milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese and turkey.

Carbohydrates
Your metabolism thrives when your carbohydrate intake is limited, but there are dif*ferent kinds of carbs. Some aren't as bad for you as others. Avoid simple carbs, which convert to sugar quickly in the bloodstream. The carbs you can incorporate into your diet are the complex kind. Here are the complex carbs I recommend:

* Vegetables: asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, spinach
* Fruits avocados, olives, apples, and pears (in limited quantity and never without protein on the side)
* Grains: sprouted-grain bread only if possible (Ezekiel bread is a well-known brand that is available at supermarkets and health food stores)
* Legumes: tempeh, tofu

Fats
To best support your metabolism, you should be getting roughly 30 percent of your daily caloric intake from natural oils and fats. Here are the fats I recommend:

* Nuts/seeds: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans, pistachios, coconut, macadamias
* Fat/oils: butter, cream, almond oil, peanut oil, co*conut oil, sesame oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, wal*nut oil

Things to keep in mind…
Along with knowing the foods that are ideal for you, it is important to know the foods that are the worst for you. You don't always have to eat off the ideal foods list, but the following foods will sabotage your weight-loss efforts.

1. Don't ever eat a meal that is predominantly carbohydrates.
2. Don't drink alcohol. It's most often accompanied by empty calories, and it will lead to a sugar crash as well as an increased ap*petite. If you choose to have a drink, avoid sugary cocktails, beer, and wine. Stick to clear alcohols like vodka and rum with calorie-free mixers like diet and club soda.
3. Don't eat carbohydrates that are high on the glycemic load. It is important for all metabolic types to limit their high-GL intake, but it is especially crucial for you. If, on occasion, you eat high-GL foods, make sure you combine them with a protein in order to slow the release of blood sugar.
4. Don't drink too much caffeine. Caffeine speeds the rate of oxidation, which is the exact opposite of what you want. Avoid caffeinated beverages whenever possible, and keep your over*all caffeine consumption to a minimum — aim for no more than 1-2 eight-ounce cups per day.
5. Don't overcook your meat. Avoid overcooked animal products because heat destroys essential amino acids and valuable enzymes.

You will have fewer physical ailments and feel energized if you eat the foods that contain the ideal macronutrient ratio for your metabolic type. You must remember to keep within your caloric allowance in order to lose weight.

February 18th, 2009, 02:05 AM
ana410ny's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
On that site it said

*Balanced oxidizers

Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.

but it didnt go into detail as it did for the fast oxidizers What's up with that.
February 18th, 2009, 02:07 AM
double post
February 18th, 2009, 05:31 AM
I'll hook you up ana....i am a balanced oxidizer. See i think ur supposed to be a member of Jillian's website or something (which i just did this week lol)

BALANCED OXIDIZER

If you are a balanced oxidizer, your diet is the easiest to follow since you require an equal percentage of carbs, fats, and proteins in order to optimally process, produce, and use the energy from your food. You feel your best on a diet that incorporates a wide range of foods. Your ideal macronutrient ratio is 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.

Proteins | Carbs | Fats | Things to Keep In Mind

Proteins

You operate best when you are getting 30 percent of your total calories from protein. Choose from this list of proteins when deciding on a meal or snack: organ meats (pâté, liver, etc.), herring, sardines, anchovies, beef, bacon, dark-meat chicken, duck, lamb, spareribs, dark-meat turkey, veal, wild game, salmon, shellfish (mussels, lobster, shrimp, crab, oysters, scallops), octopus, squid, dark tuna, eggs, regular-fat cheeses, white-meat chicken, turkey breast, lean pork, catfish, cod, flounder, perch, sole, trout, white tuna, swordfish, low-fat cheese, low-fat cottage cheese, skim milk, low-fat yogurt, and egg whites.

Carbohydrates

With regard to carbs, the most significant difference between balanced, fast, and slow oxidizers is not the types of carbs allowed but the quantity. You should get 40 percent of your nutrients from carbs, but like everyone, you should avoid simple carbs and foods that have a high Glycemic Load value. Refined sugars, those found in cookies, sweets, and soda and processed grains like white bread and white rice, should be shunned whenever possible, especially on a weight-loss regimen. You'll do best with a mix of fruits and vegetables from both the fast and slow oxidizers' carb lists.

* Vegetables: asparagus, cauliflower, celery, mushrooms, spinach, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, cucumbers, garlic, kale, leafy greens, onions, peppers, scallions, sprouts, tomatoes, watercress, beets, eggplant, jicama, okra, yellow squash, zucchini
* Fruits: apples, berries, cherries, citrus fruits, peaches, pears, apricots, plums, tropical fruits
* Grains: barley, brown rice, buckwheat, corn, couscous, kasha, millet, oat, quinoa, rye, spelt
* Legumes/lentils: tempeh, tofu, beans, peas (all fresh, nothing dried)

Fats

To best support your metabolism, you should be getting roughly 30 percent of your calories from natural oils and fats. Don't eat excessive amounts of fat, but don't specifically restrict your fat intake. You can choose from fats on both the fast and slow oxidizers' lists of permissible fats.

* Nuts/seeds: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, cashews, Brazil nuts, filberts, pecans, pistachios, coconut, macadamias
* Fats/oils: butter, cream, almond oil, peanut oil, coconut oil, sesame oil, flaxseed oil, sunflower oil, walnut oil

Things to Keep In Mind...

Eat the foods that are ideal for you, and remember the following guidelines of what to avoid.

1. Don't eat meals made up of just one macronutrient. Make sure you adhere to your ideal ratio of 40 percent carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat.
2. Don't drink alcohol. It's often accompanied by empty calories, which can lead to a sugar crash as well as an increased appetite. If you choose to have a drink, avoid sugary cocktails, beer, and wine. Stick to clear alcohols like vodka and rum with calorie-free mixers like diet and club soda.
3. Don't eat foods that have a high Glycemic Load value. If you should happen to eat foods with a high GL value, make sure you accompany them with protein in order to slow the rate of oxidation and stabilize blood sugar and energy levels.
4. Don't drink too much caffeine. In the forms of coffee, tea, and soda, caffeine gives you short-term energy by signaling your adrenal glands to release adrenaline into your blood. When the caffeine wears off, you feel tired and weak.
5. Don't overcook your meat. Avoid overcooked animal products because heat destroys essential amino acids and valuable enzymes.

February 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM
ooh.. i always overcook my meat.. for some reason i'm scared to death of samonella (sp?).. so I make sure my chicken is almost hard... hmm..
February 18th, 2009, 07:27 AM
i accidentally overcook my pork chops and sometimes my chicken (like the other day) only cause i walk away from the grill lol

February 18th, 2009, 07:29 AM
btw, thx for posting that for me... what's crazy is that I've been doing that all along.. no wonder I dont feel deprived or starving all the time. btw, how much does it cost to register with jillian?
February 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM
13 week intervals $4 bucks a week (52 bucks). If u quit before the 13 weeks you'll be refunded whatever is left minus a minimum of 20 bucks.

but if you go to her website and fill out a profile and take a few days before registering she'll send u an email offering 1 week free. I didnt' do that (like a dummy) but that way u can see if you wanna go thru with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search