Need to get in shape

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I need to get in shape. In HS, I swam, ran track [9th grade], played soccer, ROTC athletics. BUT I just can't run anymore like I used to and it kept me in GREAT shape, and I don't mind running [if I'm in a safe place!]. The thing is ---

I sprained my ankle really baddly my freshman year of HS running hills in track. Not only did I sprain it, from limping I strained a muscle in the side of my leg as well. I had my PCP look at it and said basiclly, there is no hope for my ankle going back to the way it used to be, figures right? Your ligamints get so stretched and your more likely to get hurt. Its gotten to the point where I can't walk for long periods of time, or play hard in sports. So I havn't played sports since I tried soccer my JR year [I was constantly getting my ankle taped, and I just couldn't physically take it anymore I just couldn't even walk].

Since, then i've gained 20 pounds, i'm not sure if its from my muscles in my arms and legs going away, or me not doing any phsyical activity. I eat the same way I always have. I'm 5'6", and in my right wieght range, just not my same wieght i've weighted for years being the same hieght!

Even swimming starts to bother me at times. Back in grade 10, I missed the regional time by 2 seconds on free style for the 200, now i'm lucky if I can swim a couple laps without having problems with my ankle.

I was taking medication for the pain, because it hurt to walk so much.

Anything I can do to get in shape while, not killing myself? I want to be able to wear a 2 piece, and not look like crap. I don't want to have a flat stomach, but I would like to at least be back to my normal weight or at least 10 pounds lighter
February 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The only thing I can suggest is a great diet - and no you don't have to kill yourself with fat free this and no carb that - just eat healthy. I understand the ankle issue. I was very active in sports in grade school, college and junior olympic and pretty much destroyed my knees and ankles. Unfortunately, if you want to drop weight some form of exercise (cardio) is necessary. The good thing is everything counts. You don't have to run a mile or two or swim a 500. Just tape up (if necessary) and get out and walk. The key here is to walk correctly. Avoid asphalt and concrete and make sure your strides are not too long or you're defeating the purpose of burning calories. Also, for ankle support, invest in really good pair of walking/running shoes. Find a pilates class or try it out by renting a pilates video. This will whip you into shape - that's for sure. I've found that when toning my abs, pilates exercises work better than crunches and sit-ups ever did. The hardest part is starting and sticking with it. Just take it slow. Good Luck!!
February 23rd, 2005, 08:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The sneakers I have right now are AVIA walking, and they are so ccomfy. I normally go for a nice walk with my doggie [hes a lab/hound mix and loves to run/walk around, and living in apt long walks are necceary]! I walk on grass, but it doesn't help, our soil here is basicly clay and hurts just the same as walking on concret.

What about those running machine things? Not a treadmill [or whatever that has the grochery store check out looking bottom], but it looks like a bike sort of without a seat. Do those help at all, i've heard contradicting things about them accually being bennifical.

I used to have stuff to do a really good ankle strengthing stuff, but since i'm not in school I don't know where to buy it. Its like a rubber band looking thing, with diff. colors for diff. levels. It worked really well, and I liked it ALOT! I'm not a big fan of tape, becuase its really unccomfortable and its hard to do it myself. I also have like 3 ankle braces/wraps but don't fit with my sneakers, but work alright.
February 25th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I know what you are talking about - the rubber band things. I have a pair of Altus Training Tubes that work well (and they were cheap, too). For my ankles I do the exercises on this page. I also do the alphabet exercises. Which are great being that you can do them anywhere. All you do is elevate your foot and "write" your A,B,C's by moving your ankle.

And are you talking about ellipitical trainers? If so, their great. I like them because there's no impact. The entire motion is smooth and they'll certainly get your heart pumping!

lol and I understand the tape issue. It's a pain in the you know what!
February 25th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do the A,B,Cs LOL, my b/f thinks i'm crazy that I write them with my feet -- then hearing my ankle pop LOL!

I'm not sur what its called its a just a rubber band looking thing. Gosh I wish I did know.

I got some really nice and cheep none-slip,etc shoes for work, and they are so comfy, and affordable! I think I may wear those and take my dog for a nice long walk! We walked up and down a hill y esterday and he was desperate to get the bottom of hill to go potty.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search