Healthy Snacks and Eating

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2005, 10:04 AM
CNYmom's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CNYmom
what healthy snacks do you eat?

I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out. I have yougart,fruit and veggies and some crackers with a small amount of peanut butter, what other suggestions do you have for me?

** Tyler James *** having a c-section 12/26/05 </span>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>

<span style="colorrange">
m/c-04/02,09/02
March 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I love having any fruit, smart pop popcorn(96 % fat free)
crackers, carrots, any veggies

March 17th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here is one that I keep as a Word document on my computer for when I feel like I'm in a rut!

Low Calorie Snack List

ALMOST NO CALORIES:
Lettuce
Celery Sticks
Cucumbers
Green Peppers
Mushrooms
Cauliflower
Broccoli

25-30 CALORIES:
1 small tangerine
½ cup watermelon
¼ cantaloupe
1 small tomato
1 medium-large carrot
1 cup popcorn
12 pretzel sticks
8 ounces low-sodium tomato juice
6 celery stalks with fat-free dressing
1/2 cup raw cauliflower with 2 tsp fat-free dressing
1 piece hard candy
2 large dill pickles
2 sugar-free Jell-o snacks
1/2 cup raw broccoli with 1 tbsp fat-free ranch dressing
1 cup popcorn with 1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup green pepper sticks with 1 tbsp fat-free dressing
12 radishes

35-40 CALORIES:
1 medium peach
1 medium nectarine
½ grapefruit
½ cup skin milk
¼ cup plain yogurt
3 saltine crackers
½ small banana

50-60 CALORIES:
1 small apple
1 small orange
15 grapes
12 cherries
1 cup strawberries
4 small shrimp
1 large tangerine
5 animal crackers
3 fresh apricots
1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup romaine lettuce with 2 tbsp fat free salad dressing
1/2 cup fruit ######tail
1 cup watermelon cubes
2 apple-cinnamon mini rice cakes with 1 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup popcorn with 2 tsp peanuts
1/2 mango
1 kiwifruit- 50 calories
1 part skim cheese stick- 72 calories
3 cups low fat microwave popcorn- 71 calories
Frozen fruit bar- 63 calories
1 cup grapes- 60 calories
Carrots and dip- 55 calories: Dip 8 baby carrots into 1 tablespoon of your favorite fat free dip
3 fresh apricots or 6 halves canned in juice - 50 calories
12 ounces (1 1/2 cups) vegetable juice- 65 calories
1 orange- 62 calories
15 cherry tomatoes- 54 calories
6 very thin turkey breast slices- 62 calories
1 cucumber- 45 calories
Romaine salad- 57 calories: 1 cup of romaine lettuce, add 5 cherry tomatoes, 1 tablespoon croutons and 1 tablespoon of your favorite fat free salad dressing
2 graham cracker sheets - 61 calories:
4 ounces (1/2 cup) skim milk- 45 calories:
2 chocolate kisses
1/2 sugar free gelatin

100-CALORIE SNACKS:
1 rice cake with 1 tbsp peanut butter
1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
2 ounces tuna with 3 stalks celery
1/2 cup bran cereal with 1/4 cup skim milk
2 tbsp cashews
1/2 cup three bean salad
1/2 cup fat-free, sugar-free pudding
1/2 cup frozen fat-free yogurt
1 cup chicken rice soup
1 ounce mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fat free frozen yogurt
1 Fudgesicle
1 slice whole-wheat toast with 1 tsp jam
1 Jell-o pudding snack
2 tbsp dry-roasted peanuts
1 medium apple- 80 calories
2 kiwifruit- 100 calories
1 cup multigrain cereal- 112 calories
1 medium banana- 108 calories
1 low-fat cereal bar- 115 calories
Tortilla chips with Salsa- 120 calories (1 ounce baked tortilla chips and favorite salsa)
Cheese and crackers- 93 calories (1 ounce of reduced fat cheese and 6 rye crisps)
Carrots and dip- 94 calories: (12 baby carrots plus 2 tablespoons favorite fat- free dip)
Canned pears- 120 calories (individual serve, 8.25 ounce can lite pears)
Baked beans- 118 calories (1/2 cup vegetarian baked beans)
Rice and salsa - 117 calories (1/2 cup of cooked brown rice plus 2 tablespoons salsa)
Chocolate milk - 100 calories (1 tablespoon of lite chocolate syrup plus 1 cup of skim milk)
4 chocolate kisses- 96 calories
3 graham cracker squares - 92 calories
2 fig bar cookies- 111 calories
8.25 ounce can Lite fruit salad- 120 calories
4 cups microwave popcorn- 95 calories
4-ounce fat-free pudding Cup- 110 calories
Sandwich cookie plus 1/2 cup skim milk - 92 calories
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds- 93 calories
Taco broccoli- 118 calories: Dip 1/4 pound of cut up broccoli into a mixture of 1/4 cup light sour cream and 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
Yogurt - 100 calories: Look at the label to find the portion size that will deliver 100 calories of your favorite yogurt
8 ounces skim milk- 80 calories
1/2 cup fat freee pudding

150-CALORIE SNACKS:
Peanut butter celery and raisins- 132 calories: 1 stalk of celery spread with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and dotted with 1 tablespoon of raisins
Cereal snack- 169 calories: 1 cup of cereal plus 1/2 cup skim milk
Apple and peanut butter- 175 calories: Cut up 1 apple and spread slices with 1 tablespoon peanut butter
Cottage cheese and apple sauce- 132 calories: Mix 1/2 cup nonfat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Trail mix- 160 calories: Mix together 2 tablespoons of peanuts with 2 tablespoons of raisins or other favorite dried fruit
Peanut butter & jelly fice cake- 162: Spread 1-tablespoon peanut butter and 2 teaspoons of your favorite jelly on a rice cake.
Cheese and crackers- 157 calories: 1 ounce reduced fat cheddar cheese plus 7 rye crisps
Pita and hummus- 163 calories: Break 1/2 of a whole wheat pita into bite size pieces and dip into 3 tablespoons of your favorite hummus
Peanut butter honey toast- 162 calories: Toast 1 slice of whole wheat bread and spread with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter and then 1 teaspoon honey
Chocolate milk - 130 calories: 2 tablespoons lite chocolate syrup plus 1 cup of skim milk
Sherbet- 136 calories: 1/2 cup favorite fruit sherbet
5 graham cracker squares- 153 calories
Romaine salad- 132 calories: 2 cups of romaine lettuce plus 8 cherry tomatoes plus 2 tablespoons croutons plus 2 tablespoons low fat shredded cheese plus 2 tablespoon favorite fat free salad dressing
Bagel and cream cheese- 142 calories: 1/2 of a whole wheat bagel with 2 tablespoons of low fat cream cheese
2 part skim string cheese sticks - 160 calories
3 fig bar cookies- 158
Tuna & crackers- 148 calories: 1/2 can tuna, mixed with 1 teaspoon of light mayonnaise served with 2 whole wheat crackers
Banana & tangerine- 146 calories
2 cups (16 ounces) skim milk- 160 calories
Apple & orange- 141 calories
Peach & pear- 138 calories
1 cup low fat (1% fat) cottage cheese- 160 calories
March 18th, 2005, 11:41 AM
CNYmom's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to CNYmom
WOW that's great thanks

** Tyler James *** having a c-section 12/26/05 </span>
<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
</a>

<span style="colorrange">
m/c-04/02,09/02
June 18th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Veteran
One of my bigget problems is craving junk food. My favorite snack is nachos. I like them loaded with cheese - the more the better! So my DH came up with a great snack for me...

Take a triscuit and put a bit of salsa on it. Top it off with a small piece of low fat cheese (I use marble). Bake in the oven until the cheese melts. Very simple but they're almost as good as nachos!

Jennifer
June 22nd, 2005, 07:46 AM
KBeans's Avatar Believe in your body
Send a message via AIM to KBeans
ooo jennifer that sounds yummy!

that list is now a word document saved on MY computer as well! lol thank you!

im going to be doing weight watchers, so anything that is 0 points is great...and salsa is 0 points with nachos not being that high in points so it's a great snack. i live on salads as a great snack, if i have tht ime to make them then i eat them in between meals
² married to matt ²
mommy to rick 8, christian 6, kairi 3
²

want P90X, Hip Hop Abs, Turbo Jam, Slim in 6 and tons more? Check out my site!

3.5 years - still BFing

I &hearts; triathlon, running & hot yoga!
June 22nd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Radish4ever's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some of these are repeats, but I found another site with some stuff on it for us calorie counters

100 Calorie Snacks: 20 Choices

Need some ideas? To get you started on the road to calorie-controlled snacking, our experts offer some suggestions for healthy 100-calorie munchies:

1. Half an apple with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter
2. An orange and a few dry-roasted nuts
3. 10 cashew nuts
4. 10 almonds
5. 2 ounces of lean roast beef
6. Half a small avocado
7. 3 ounces cooked whole-grain noodles with 1 fresh tomato and 1/2 ounce hard cheese
8. 1 seven-grain Belgian waffle
9. 4 mini rice cakes with 2 tablespoons low-fat cottage cheese
10. 3 ounces low-fat cottage cheese and 3 whole-wheat crackers
11. 1/4 cup fat-free ranch dressing with mixed raw veggies
12. 6 Wheat Thins crackers with two teaspoons of peanut butter (or any nut butter)
13. 1 small baked potato with 1/2 cup salsa and 2 tablespoons of fat-free sour cream
14. 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce with 1 slice of whole-wheat toast, cut into 4 strips for dunking
15. 1/2 cup frozen orange juice, eaten as sorbet
16. 2 large graham cracker squares with 1 teaspoon peanut butter
17. 3 handfuls of unbuttered popcorn, seasoned with herbs
18. 4-6 ounces of no-fat or low-fat yogurt
19. A 5-ounce tossed salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and 1/4 cup fat-free dressing
20. Half a "finger" of string cheese with 4 whole-wheat crackers

200-CALORIE SNACKS

Pita and hummus- 189 calories: Break 1/2 of a whole wheat pita into bite size pieces and dip into 1/4 cup of your favorite hummus
Toasted cheese- 222 calories: 2 slices of whole wheat bread plus 1 slice 2% milk reduced fat American Cheese plus 1 teaspoon of margarine; add 1 pickle spear if desired
Rice and salsa- 230 calories: 1 cup of cooked brown rice plus 3 tablespoons of salsa
Peanut butter honey toast- 206 calories: Toast 1 slice of whole wheat bread, spread with 1 tablespoon peanut butter and then 2 teaspoons honey
Frozen yogurt and fruit- 174 calories: 1/2 cup of chocolate low fat frozen yogurt plus 1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
7 graham cracker squares- 214 calories
Romaine salad- 188 calories: 3 cups of romaine lettuce plus 12 cherry tomatoes, 2 tablespoons of croutons, 1/4 cup low fat shredded cheese and 2 tablespoon of your favorite fat free salad dressing
Turkey sandwich- 208 calories: 2 slices whole wheat bread with 4 slices deli thin turkey breast, 1 slice tomato and 2 teaspoons of mustard
Apple & banana- 188 calories:
Cottage cheese & pineapple- 186 calories: 3/4 cup low fat cottage cheese with 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
3/4 pound grapes- 221 calories
4 tablespoons dry roasted peanuts- 213 calories
Trail mix- 217 calories: 2 tablespoons peanuts, 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, and 2 tablespoons dried cherries
Shortbread cookie and pears- 195 calories: 1 shortbread cookie and an 8.25 ounce can of pears
Sherbet- 230 calories: 3/4 cup of orange sherbet and 1 tablespoon lite chocolate syrup
Yogurt: 200 calories: Read the label to find the serving size that delivers 200 calories of your favorite yogurt
Cottage cheese: 200 calories: 1 1/4 cups of low fat (1% fat) cottage cheese

Looking for ways to snack sensibly? Try these 20 ideas to keep your calorie budget in check. Most of these ideas add up to roughly 100 calories.

1/2 cup of sugar-free gelatin, any flavor, and two tablespoons of low fat whipped topping.
15 chocolate-covered raisins.
Stir 2 teaspoons of chocolate syrup into a cup of coffee for Cafe Mocha.
Six animal crackers.
Add 1/4 cup of fat-free Ranch dressing to 1 cup of mixed fresh veggies such as zucchini, red bell pepper, celery, carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes.
Either six saltine crackers or two graham cracker squares with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter or fruit jam.
One 1/2 cup of fat-free ice cream.
A luscious parfait: 1/2 cup of low-fat pudding layered into a parfait glass alternating with two crumbled vanilla wafers and a dollop of low fat whipped topping to garnish the top.
Spoon 1/2 cup of salsa and 2 tablespoons of non-fat sour cream over a small baked potato.
One rice cake thinly spread with fat-free sour cream and sprinkled with one tablespoon of crumbled bleu cheese.
Place a marshmallow on top of a graham cracker and microwave until gooey, drizzle with a teaspoon of chocolate syrup.
Cut half an apple into slices and spread with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter.
1/2 cup of applesauce and 1 piece of toast cut into four sticks for dunking.
10 dry roasted cashews or 12-15 natural almonds.
26 grapes.
An eight oz. low-fat yogurt or a fat-free chocolate pudding cup.
One two-inch slice of angel food cake.
One hard boiled egg.
Four Hershey’s kisses.
Two tablespoons hummus with 12 grape tomatoes.
August 25th, 2005, 09:51 PM
txmom2two's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to txmom2two
awesome ideas. thanks!
One of my favs is the new 100 cal pack of cookies and crackers. they are all 2 pts on weight watchers. the keebler i find better than the nabisco!

PROUD MOMMA TO LOGAN AND SEAN

September 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM
THIS STICKY IS FOR THE LADIES WHO DON\'T KNOW WHERE TO START OR ARE STRUGGLING ON THEIR WEIGHTLOSS JOURNEY!</span>

<span style="color:red">Below are some tips from other mommies and mommies-to-be on what works for them for losing weight and getting healthy.
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

September 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
drink water! try cutting the soda and juices and drink water. check out the hydration calculator in one of our other stickies for info on how much to drink for your weight and exercise level.

this to me is such a key to success!
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

September 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
WW has introduced a new twist on the Flex Points program. Use this version to jumpstart your program when you've hit a plateau or just want to jump feet-first into the program.

A few highlights of this plan:

1) You eat 20 points per day for no more than two weeks (no matter what your weight is). Do NOT, under any circumstances go under this target!

2) Your 35 weekly Flex Points are not used for the duration of the Fast Track program.

3) Suggested menus can be found here: WW Eating Guide (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view - you can download it for free HERE)- you can follow either the higher carb or higher protein plans to get your 20 points in.

4) Remember to drink your water and eat your points in the most balanced manner possible!

5) Do NOT do Fast Track for longer than 2 weeks! To attempt to do so longer could cause damage to your metabolism. Fast Track is just a short-term program to jump start losses. It should be noted that if you feel you only need one week on it, than by all means, do it for only a week!

6) If you are exercising excessively, sticking to 20 points per day is probably not a realistic goal. Most have found eating some activity points, or just sticking to their regular Points Target is more helpful. If you exercise a lot, your body requires more calories for daily function. To not eat enough could possibly cause a short-term weight gain.

menu ideas:
http://p087.ezboard.com/fdottisweightlossz...icID=4755.topic
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

September 27th, 2005, 08:09 PM
TIPS FOR EATING OUT:

A guide to choosing healthy meals away from home

Fried, basted, braised, au gratin, crispy, escalloped, pan-fried, sautéed, stewed or stuffed foods are high in fat. Instead, look for steamed, broiled, baked, grilled, poached or roasted foods. If you’re not sure about a certain dish, ask your server how it’s prepared.

Even if dishes low in saturated fat and cholesterol aren't on the menu, you may still be able to get a healthy meal, because many restaurants will prepare foods to order. If you’re not sure about a particular restaurant, phone before you go.
High-sodium foods include those that are pickled, in ######tail sauce, smoked, in broth or au jus, in a tomato base, or in soy or teriyaki sauce. Steer clear of these.

Checklists for other considerations
What about breakfasts?
Breakfast menus can be loaded with high-fat items like bacon and sausage. So the next time you want a healthy breakfast, consider:

Fresh fruit
Fruit juice
English muffin with jelly, jam or margarine
Toast with honey or jam
Bagel with jam or reduced-fat cream cheese
Whole-grain cereals with fat-free milk (but watch out for high-fat granolas!)
Waffle with fresh fruit
Low-fat or nonfat yogurt
Omelet or scrambled eggs using egg substitute or egg whites
Lean ham or Canadian bacon
Low-fat cottage cheese (great on toast with jam!)
Hot cereals such as oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat or cream of rice
What about prepared take-home entrees?
It's a challenge to eat tasty, nutritious meals when you're racing against the clock. Many supermarkets and specialty stores offer prepared entrees to take home when you're in a rush.

Guess what? The same tips listed here for restaurant foods apply to prepared take-out foods. Here are some low-fat side dishes to add to your prepared entrees:

Salad with fat-free or low-fat dressing
Fresh, cut-up or cooked vegetables
Bread or rolls
Fruit for dessert
Choosing or evaluating restaurants
When you call ahead or look over the menu, ask these questions. Does (or will) this restaurant...

Take special food preparation requests?
Prepare food without MSG or salt?
Serve dressings and sauces on the side?
Serve margarine rather than butter with the meal?
Serve fat-free or 1% milk (rather than whole milk)?
Prepare a dish using vegetable oil (canola, olive, corn, soy, sunflower, safflower) or margarine made with vegetable oil?
Trim visible fat from meat and remove the skin from poultry before cooking?
Broil, bake, steam or poach rather than fry foods?
Leave all butter, gravy or sauces off entrees and side dishes?
Serve fruit, ices, sherbet or nonfat frozen yogurt for dessert?
Again, don't be shy about making a special request. Most foods on the menu will probably fit into a heart-healthy diet, if prepared with low-fat ingredients and less salt. Finally, watch portion sizes. Split an appetizer entrée or dessert with a friend or ask for a take-home box. Don't feel intimidated about asking for what you want. And if your food isn't prepared as you requested, send it back.

~COMPLIMENTS OF SAMANTHA (sanderson)
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

September 27th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Cook for Lower Cholesterol

Substitutes for foods high in saturated fat and cholesterol
Whole-milk Dairy Products — Consider fat-free (skim) or 1% fat milk and dairy products. They’re rich in protein, calcium and other nutrients without being high in fat and cholesterol.

Butter, Cream and Ice Cream — Save these dairy products for special occasions. They have even more fat and saturated fat than whole milk. Watch out for butter and cream hidden in many casseroles and other dishes, bakery goods and desserts.

Cheese — Many cheeses are high in saturated fat. Healthy options are low-fat cottage cheese, part-skim milk mozzarella, ricotta and other low-fat cheeses.

Eggs — Eggs are high in cholesterol. One egg yolk contains about 213 milligrams of cholesterol. Egg whites don't contain cholesterol and are good protein sources, so they're fine. In fact, you can substitute two egg whites for each egg yolk in many recipes that call for eggs. Be sure to eat only cooked — not raw — eggs and egg whites.

Meats — The American Heart Association recommends eating no more than six ounces of cooked lean meat, poultry, fish or seafood a day. Lean beef cuts include the round, chuck, sirloin or loin. (Buy "choice" or "select" grades rather than "prime" and lean or extra lean ground beef.) Lean pork cuts include the tenderloin or loin chop, while lean lamb cuts come from the leg, arm and loin.
Beef, Lamb, Pork and Veal — Look for lean cuts of these meats with minimal visible fat. Trim all outside fat before cooking. Most meats have about the same amount of cholesterol, roughly 70 milligrams in each three-ounce cooked serving (about the size of a deck of cards). Eating lean red meat in moderation is OK.

Processed Meats — These include sausage, bologna, salami and hot dogs.
Many processed meats — even those with "reduced fat" labels — are high in calories and saturated fat. Read labels carefully and choose such meats only now and then. Low-fat choices are now available at most grocery stores; choose these more often.

Organ Meats — These include liver, sweetbreads, kidney, brain and heart. All of these — except the heart — are very high in cholesterol. If you're on a cholesterol-lowering diet, eat them only occasionally.

Poultry — Eat chicken and turkey rather than duck and goose, which are higher in fat. Chicken and turkey are also preferable to fatty red meat. Remove the skin before cooking poultry, except when roasting a whole bird. A lot of the fat is stored under the skin, so removing the skin lets the fat drain off.

Fish — Fish can be fatty or lean, but it's still low in saturated fat. The American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least two times each week but at this time doesn’t recommend fish oil supplements. Prepare fish baked, broiled, grilled or boiled rather than breaded and fried.

Shellfish — Shrimp and crawfish have more cholesterol than most other types of fish and seafood. But they're lower in total fat and saturated fat than most meats and poultry.

Bakery Goods — Store-baked goods are often made with egg yolks and saturated fats. Eating limited amounts is OK, but it's better to stick with homemade or store-baked goods made with poly- or monounsaturated oils and egg whites. Again, check the labels. Bakery products like donuts, pies, cakes, cookies and crackers are also a major source of trans fatty acids, which raise LDL cholesterol. Limit how much you eat of these foods.

~COMPLIMENTS OF SAMANTHA (sanderson)
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

September 29th, 2005, 05:14 PM
Tips for Weight Loss and Maintenance
Have you decided to start eating healthier and become more physically active? Have you realized that healthy choices have a positive impact on not only yourself, but also those around you?

If your goal is to lose weight or maintain your current healthy weight, here are some tips to help you achieve that goal. Remember, to maintain weight, you must balance calories with the energy you burn through physical activity. If you eat more than you expend, you gain weight. If you eat less (reduce calories) than you expend, you lose weight!

Make healthy choices a habit. This leads to a healthy lifestyle! Make a commitment to eat well, move more, and get support from family and friends. Even better, start eating healthier and being active together!

Remember to be realistic about your goals. If you try to reduce the calories, fat, saturated fat, and sugar in your diet AND promise to make a drastic change in your physical activity level, you may be setting yourself up for failure. Instead of trying to make many changes at once, set smaller, more realistic goals for yourself and add a new challenge each week.

Conduct an inventory of your meal/snack and physical activity patterns. Keep a food and activity journal. Write down not only what you ate, but where, when, and what you were feeling at the time. You will see what triggers your hunger and what satisfies your appetite. What foods do you routinely shop for? What snacks do you keep in the pantry?

Eat at least 5 servings of vegetables and fruits per day. If you're adding fruits and vegetables to your diet, try substituting them for higher calorie, less nutritious foods. Check out the CDC 5 A Day Web site for great information on the 5 A Day Nutrition Program, suggestions on how to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet, and healthy recipes that meet the 5 A Day recommendation.

Eat foods that are high in fiber to help you feel full. Whole grain cereals, legumes (lentils and beans), vegetables, and fruits are good sources of fiber that may help you feel full with fewer calories.

Prepare and eat meals and snacks at home. This is a great way to save money, eat healthy, and spend time with your family. When preparing meals, choose low-fat/low-calorie versions of your favorite ingredients and learn how easy it is to substitute. For example:

Switch to 1% or nonfat milk and low-fat cheeses.

Use a cooking spray instead of oil or butter to decrease the amount of fat when you cook.

Prepare baked potatoes with low-fat blue cheese dressing or low-fat plain yogurt instead of butter or sour cream.

Some good Web sites to help you plan a healthy meal:
National Institutes of Health's Interactive Menu Planner
American Heart Association's Delicious Decisions*

Start by using a scale and measuring cup to serve your food. Read food labels to determine serving sizes. One bowl of cereal may actually be two ¾-cup servings. A small frozen pizza may contain up to three servings (check the nutrition information label). This could add up to more calories than you think you’re getting. Being aware of serving sizes may make it easier to avoid those extra calories.

Choose snacks that are nutritious and filling. A piece of fresh fruit, cut raw vegetables, or a container of low-fat yogurt are excellent (and portable) choices to tide you over until mealtimes. Take these snacks with you for a healthy alternative to chips, cookies, or candy.

Take your time! Eat only when you are hungry and enjoy the taste, texture, and smell of your meal as you eat it. Remember, it takes approximately 15 minutes for your stomach to signal your brain that you are full.

If you choose to eat out, remember these important suggestions: Watch your portions. Portion sizes at restaurants (including fast food) are usually more than one serving, which can result in overeating. Choose smaller portion sizes, order an appetizer and a leafy green salad with low-fat dressing, share an entree with a friend, or get a "doggy bag" and save half for another meal.

Forgive yourself. If you occasionally make mistakes, don’t give up! Forgive yourself for making that choice and keep working on it. Eat an extra healthy lunch and dinner if you had a high-calorie, high-fat breakfast. Add more physical activity to your day.

Remember physical activity! Aim for at least 30 minutes (adults) or 60 minutes (children) of moderate-intensity physical activity five or more days of the week. If you are just starting to be physically active, remember that even small increases provide health benefits. Check with your physician first, and then start with a few minutes of activity a day and gradually increase, working your way up to 30 minutes. If you already get 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity a day, you can gain even more health benefits by increasing the amount of time that you are physically active or by taking part in more vigorous-intensity activities.

For more information on making physical activity a regular part of your healthy lifestyle, visit CDC's Physical Activity Web site.

~~once again, thanks samantha!
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

September 29th, 2005, 05:38 PM
BREASTFEEDING MOMS!

Your highest caloric needs will be in the first 4 to 6 months of breastfeeding, because that’s when baby is drinking breastmilk exclusively. During this time it’s more important than ever to make wise food choices. Being able to eat more calories does not mean you should eat an extra serving of french fries, apple pie, or other foods that are high in calories but low in nutrients. To make up the additional 500 calories you need for nursing, you should consume nutritious foods.

The following is an example of a way to add more calories to your daily diet nutritiously. These items total about 500 calories each:

• 3 extra servings of complex carbohydrates (for example, 3 slices of bread)

• 3 extra ounces of lean meat or poultry

• 1 extra serving of fruits or vegetables

• 1 extra serving of a reduced-fat or fat-free dairy product

As baby gets older and begins to eat solid foods, you won’t need to produce as much breastmilk and you won’t need as many calories. This is the time to watch your weight carefully and cut back on calories if you start to gain weight.

Drink plenty
In order to produce lots of breastmilk, you also need to take in plenty of fluids. Two to three quarts a day is ideal. The liquids can include water, milk (reduced-fat or fat-free), and fruit or vegetable juices, but don’t waste calories on non-nutritious drinks, such as sodas or sweetened, flavored waters.

Exercise does work
Another important part of slimming down while nursing is exercise. While you may feel like you can’t possibly squeeze another thing into your hectic day, if you really want to regain your figure, carve out a small bit of time for exercise. This can be as simple as taking the baby for a walk in the stroller or walking with the baby strapped into a front carrier pack. Exercising in front of the TV with a fitness video designed especially for new moms also can work. Aerobic exercise, such as brisk walking, biking, or swimming, will help burn calories, while muscle-toning exercise, such as working out with light hand weights, will help redefine your shape.
² married to matt ²
²

3.5 years - still BFing

November 21st, 2005, 04:10 PM
mrobinson
Some great ideas - I need to go to Safeway..
January 3rd, 2006, 06:22 AM
ConnectingRainbows's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't checked the calorie count, but when was the last time you tried a peanut-butter and banana sandwich? I use just one slice of whole wheat bread - toasted (to melt the peanut butter a little), 1 T peanut butter and thin slices of banana.

Tired of feeling like you have to be superwoman, caring for everyone but yourself?
You don’t have to! JourneyToJoy.com
January 4th, 2006, 05:15 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Depending on what type of healthy eating plan you are on. These are a great snack and help satisfy that sweet tooth.

I take 1 low fat graham cracker and add Fat Free thawed cool whip on top (about 2 tbs.) and then sprinkle a little cinnamon on it and top with another graham cracker. Put in the freezer for about 3 hours. After the 3 hours wrap them individual with foil. They will keep for a week in the freezer. My kids love these.

MY BLOG

January 6th, 2006, 08:23 AM
sanderson76's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to sanderson76
Apple-Cheese Snacks</span>

1/2 cup PHILADELPHIA Light Cream Cheese Spread
2 Tbsp. PLANTERS Sunflower Kernels, chopped
1/4 cup raisins, chopped
6 medium apples, cut lengthwise in half, cored

MIX cream cheese spread, sunflower kernels and raisins.
SPREAD 1-1/2 Tbsp. of the cream cheese mixture into hollow of each apple half. Serve immediately. (Or, reassemble each apple by placing cream cheese sides together, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.)

<span style="color:#3366FF">Food Facts

For best results, use Granny Smith, Golden Delicious or Red Delicious apples.

Diet Exchange:
1-1/2 Fruit,1 Fat

Nutrition (per serving)
Calories 150 Total fat 5g Saturated fat 2g Cholesterol 10mg Sodium 120mg Carbohydrate 26g Dietary fiber 4g Sugars 23g Protein 3g Vitamin A 8%DV Vitamin C 10%DV Calcium 4%DV Iron 2%DV

MY BLOG

May 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Veteran
wow! what a great list for snacks! very organized!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search