diet pills

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By SpazTaz
  • 1 Post By Buggymom
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2013, 03:08 PM
babygreenes.mommy
hi all. i'd first like to reintroduce myself since i was away from JM for a while. my name is sarah. i have 1 daughter who is now 5 months. i've been trying to lose my baby weight for a while now, and i've been struggling.

my husband finally suggested today that i try the diet pill metabolife. not because he was trying to be an ***** or controlling, but he had just stood there and watched me have a meltdown over my weight...again, and although he thinks i look great because he loves me, i don't think i look great and i hate my body with a passion.

so anyway, he suggested metabolife, because he remembers hearing about it years ago. we picked up a bottle but i haven't opened it yet as i am really hesitant to try it. let me state the fact that i'm not niave...i know weight doesn't just fall off from taking a pill alone. i know i still have to eat right and exercise. but i wanted opinions because although i know they aren't going to work for everyone, i'm hoping it'll at least help me along as i do eat better and exercise.

so i'm asking for your opinions...have you tried diet pills in the past or are you using them now? which ones? and have they helped at all? also, i did some searching online and read that diet pills used to contain ephedra which has been banned by the FDA. i'm not interested in trying to get ahold of pills with ephedra in it...i probably can't anyway, but rather i'm wondering if there really is a big difference in effectiveness between the old formula with ephedra, and the new formula without ephedra.

Last edited by babygreenes.mommy; January 19th, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
January 19th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would say don't walk but RUN AWAY FROM DIET PILLS!!!!!!!!!!!! First off, they are dangerous, dangerous, and more dangerous IMO. Secondly, once you stop taking them, you're going to gain the weight back anyway. Losing weight isn't about losing weight, it's about changing your mindset, changing the way you eat, changing the way you live.

What have you been doing to try and lose weight? Have you tried things like lostit.com: The Leading Lost IT Site on the Net or Free Calorie Counter, Diet & Exercise Journal | MyFitnessPal.com so you can track what you eat? I did lost it (they are FREE by the way), and was AMAZED at the calorie content I was eating daily. Once I started tracking that, not eating as much sugar, cooking at home with fresh ingredients, eating out less, I dropped 28 pounds with DIET ALONE (no exercise), and with very little effort.

I would encourage you to either use a free site such as the ones above, or weight watchers online (which is only $19 a month!), and learn how to eat and to learn to eat healthy, start exercising, etc rather than use pills. The risk IMO is not worth it, and as I said, very very rarely is it a permanent deal, you stop taking them and the weight comes back anyway.

REAL weight loss is a SLOW process 1/2 to 2 pounds per week, lots of choosing do I want to have that ice cream or do I want to eat an apple instead? It's about learning how to make choices, decreasing portion sizes, drinking more liquids, getting active, and changing your overall lifestyle. It's hard work, but, the harder you work, the more willing you will be to keep off that weight. And, the best part, doing it this way you don't have to worry about pumping crap into your system that 5 years from now they find out can give people premature heart attacks, organ problems, or any host of potential issues.

Good luck!
Just_Marie and jhmomofmany like this.
January 20th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Diet pills are poison to your system! There are so many risks...and they can take years to develop....your life is more precious than that. The truth about diet pills is they will make you put the weight back on and often times double what you were before. They are so dangerous!!!! Please...like she said RUN AWAY and don't look back!!!!!!

MyFitnessPal is a great place for keeping track of calories and exercise. Another thing that works is getting rid of processed sugar...try it for a month! If you aren't used to exercise, walking is a great way to get it in. With these tools I have lost 14 lbs in 3.5 months and you feel healthier and aren't starving. I've lost a total of 24lbs since 2011 doing it off and on...but if you stick with it you will start to see results. A friend of mine lost 80lbs alone in about a year using Myfitness.pal!! Weight doesn't drop overnight, it's a slow process but it's the right way to do it. To be successful you have to be ready in your mind to stick with something and keep at it....after a week it gets easier. Good luck!!
SpazTaz likes this.

January 20th, 2013, 10:54 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
First, I want to welcome you and thank you for posting here. I really hope you will stay with us! We have a great group here!

I'll be honest, I've tried diet pills. I knew they don't work magic, I suspected it probably wasn't the best option, I hid the fact out of shame... but I tried it anyway and they honestly didn't work. This was back when ephedra was still the main ingredient. I'm very grateful I never had any serious side effects (that I know of) and it's not something I would do again. I wonder what the pills now contain for an active ingredient- I would guess it's probably something they will be banning in the future. My mistake was that at the time I wanted very much to lose weight, but I wanted it to be easy. It isn't.

It takes almost a year to grow a healthy baby, and it takes at least that long to fully recover. I hate to say this, but your body will probably never be the same. You might get to your original weight and be a different size. Or maybe you will get to your original size and be a different weight. Maybe you will get to your original size and weight, but never *feel* the same. I don't want to make presumptions, but just based on your post I think it might help if you learn to start loving and accepting your body. You will not want to nurture and care for a body that you hate; you will approach it as if going to war. Doing battle with your body will lead you to make decisions that aren't necessarily the healthiest.

So, that's my long-winded way of saying love and take care of yourself. Eat for nutrition, move for the joy of it. Whatever you have been doing to try to lose weight for the last 4-5 months, maybe re-examine and see what is not working. If you are really working at weight loss and being unsuccessful, there may be something going on to sabatoge your efforts. Or it could be you just need more time.

My final advice (told you I'm long-winded) break up with your scale. Or at least agree to a long-term separation. You will know whether or not you are making progress by how you feel and how your clothes fit.

I hope at least some of that is helpful.
SpazTaz likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 21st, 2013, 02:12 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the board! The ladies above have given you some great advice - much of the same that I would have said.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 21st, 2013, 06:51 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search