Recipe share!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
Melissa's post with her chili recipe got me thinking...we should share some of our favorite healthy recipes. I know I really could use some new ideas for eating healthier. Exercise I do well with, but diet is hard for me. So, lets share our fav recipe!

Mine is one you can make as little or as much of as you like. Nothing is measured.

Vegetable stew

Cook stew beef in a pot, well covered with water, one large can of tomatoes, add a small amount of thyme, some basil leaves and 3 bay leaves. Cook until done. Add celery, carrots and potatoes. Other vegetables may be added (I've added a package of frozen mix). Add in barley. (with the barley, I've done it with just a little barley, or with a lot...mainly because it took me a bit to figure out how much to add) Cook until vegetables and barley tender. Add one or two cans of tomato soup to mix before serving.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

January 23rd, 2013, 10:04 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here is an awesome pork chop recipe.

Pork Chop with Country Gravy

Ingredients

1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
4 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops (about 3/4 inch thick)
1 tablespoon butter Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk

Directions

Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour, salt, dried marjoram, dried thyme, and dried rubbed sage in a shallow dish. Dredge pork in flour mixture, turning to coat; shake off excess. Reserve remaining flour mixture.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add pork to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Reduce heat, and cook for 10 minutes or until done, turning pork once. Remove pork from pan; keep warm.

Combine reserved flour mixture and milk in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended. Add milk mixture to pan; place over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring constantly. Serve with chops.

I got this one out of the cooking light magazine. It is so yummy!! I love the cooking light magazine.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 23rd, 2013, 12:08 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mmmm! I'll have to give it a try sometime! I'll have to go through my recipes and see what I have a bit later.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

January 23rd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mmmm....I've been looking for a good pork chop recipe. The stew recipe sounds delicious too...especially in this cold weather.

January 23rd, 2013, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Taco-rific Spaghetti Squash Bake
1/6th of recipe (about 1 1/2 cups): 230 calories, 8.5g fat, 630mg sodium, 22.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 8.5g sugars, 18.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 6*

This recipe features spaghetti squash, not actual spaghetti noodles. We DARE you to be disappointed with this zesty, comfort-food creation...

Ingredients:
1 spaghetti squash (about 4.5 lbs.)
3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
12 oz. raw lean ground turkey
4 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
1 cup chunky salsa
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Microwave squash for 3 - 4 minutes, until soft enough to cut. Halve lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Fill a large baking pan with 1/2 inch water and place squash halves in the pan, cut sides down. Bake until tender, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir bell pepper and onion until slightly softened and lightly browned, 6 - 8 minutes. Transfer cooked veggies to an extra-large bowl. Remove skillet from heat, re-spray, and return to medium-high heat. Add turkey and sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning. Cook and crumble for 4 - 6 minutes, until fully cooked. Transfer turkey to the extra-large bowl. Add corn and 1/2 cup cheese, and thoroughly stir.

Remove the pan with the baked squash from the oven, and reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Spray a 9" X 13" baking pan with nonstick spray.

Use a fork to scrape out squash strands. Place in a strainer to drain excess moisture. Blot dry, if needed. Transfer to the extra-large bowl, and sprinkle with 2 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning. Thoroughly stir contents of the bowl.

In a medium bowl, combine salsa, sour cream, and remaining 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning. Mix well. Add mixture to the extra-large bowl, and thoroughly stir.

Transfer mixture to baking pan, and smooth out the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.

Bake until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Enjoy!

Last edited by SpazTaz; January 23rd, 2013 at 03:44 PM.
January 23rd, 2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry

Ingredients
2 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch, divided
1/4 tsp table salt
3/4 pound(s) uncooked lean trimmed sirloin beef, thinly sliced against the grain
2 tsp canola oil
1 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
5 cup(s) uncooked broccoli, florets (about a 12 oz bag)
1 Tbsp ginger root, fresh, minced
2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup(s) low-sodium soy sauce
Instructions
• On a plate, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and salt; add beef and toss to coat.
• Heat oil in a large nonstick wok or large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and stir-fry until lightly browned and cooked through, about 4 minutes; transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon.
• Add 1/2 cup broth to same pan; stir to loosen any bits on food on bottom of pan. Add broccoli; cover and cook, tossing occasionally and sprinkling with a tablespoon water if needed, until broccoli is almost crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Uncover pan and add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes; stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.
• In a cup, stir together water, soy sauce, remaining 1/2 cup broth and remaining 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch until blended; stir into pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and bring to a simmer; simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
• Return beef and accumulated juices to pan; toss to coat. Serve. Yields about 1 1/4 cups per serving.

I have a TON of recipes, as I love to cook, but here are 2
melissalaw likes this.
January 24th, 2013, 08:08 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Meghan that Beef and Broccoli sounds great. I think I will give it a try next week.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
January 24th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
Meghan that Beef and Broccoli sounds great. I think I will give it a try next week.
It was good. I've had better, BUT, for as low in points as it is and healthy, I couldn't complain that's for sure The original recipe said 4 cups water, but I ended up with SOUP with that, so I would say more like 1/4-1/2 would be PLENTY depending on how much extra "juice" you want.
January 24th, 2013, 03:29 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Here's a recipe I've just recently come up with for Ranch dressing/dip. I'm still playing around with exact measurements, so these are approximate- adjust to how you like it.

1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp mayonnaise (I use real mayo but you might try lowfat if you want)
1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's raw ACV- any would work)
a few dashes salt
several dashes- maybe 1/2 to 1 tsp Mrs. Dash *table blend* (ground finer than original blend)

Mix, adjust seasonings to taste. Nutrition info per 2 Tbsp serving, according to MFP:
calories: 46
carbs: 1
protein: 3
fat: 3
fiber: 0

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search