YUM!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 26th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Made sweet potatoes for the kid and me to go with our fish for dinner tonight and they were AMAZING!! AND I kept them healthy.

Baked at 400 degrees for 63 minutes (whole, nothing done to them except washed them), on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Took them out and let them cool for 10 minutes, then took the peel off, sprinkled with some cinnamon, stired them up, and ate. DELICIOUS! No idea why people go so unhealthy with them. I saw recipes online for tons of butter, or cream cheese (or both...eek!), tons of sugar. They really were awesome with just a bit of cinnamon on them and nothing else. Even my 11 year old said they were really good and wanted to know when we could have them again LoL. 1/2 of one for each of us with a piece of fish and a glass of milk and we're both stuffed!
January 26th, 2013, 09:53 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
This is how we often do sweet potatoes- nothing but cinnamon. So yummy!
SpazTaz likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 27th, 2013, 12:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, this was the first time I had made them outside of Thanksgiving and Christmas where they're loaded with sugar.

I had one at a restaurant the other night and got the stuff on the side and just put cinnamon on, and LOVED it with that and nothing else and realized hey I can do this at home...the light bulb went off LoL. My son LOVES them so he was really happy.
January 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Here's how I do sweet potatoes for Christmas or any time we have turkey dinner. I boil them until done, peel and mash with cinnamon. Put into a casserole dish. Mix pecans with a small amount of more-or-less equal proportions butter and maple syrup- just enough to moisten the pecans. Sprinkle that on top and then bake uncovered for just about 10-20 minutes. I haven't ever used measurements for this, and there is still some added sugar for the topping, but way less than other recipes I've seen for similar casseroles.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ours aren't TERRIBLE I guess, holiday ones are just brown sugar, cinnamon, and marshmellows on top. But, I can't do that all year long. I really try to stay away from adding sugar to stuff when I can.

If someone likes syrup that sounds like a GREAT recipe. I'm probably the only weirdo on the planet who doesn't like maple anything (syrup included). I rarely do syrup on pancakes, but if I do it's something else like blueberry or strawberry or something. Don't like syrup and don't like honey,both of which are two of the big "lower sugar" options for a lot of recipes unfortunately.
January 27th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Oh, that is too bad. I have read/been told that honey and maple syrup are better options for diabetics, but that never made sense to me because they are still sugars. Oh, well... I don't like anything marshmallow.

January 27th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Oh, that is too bad. I have read/been told that honey and maple syrup are better options for diabetics, but that never made sense to me because they are still sugars. Oh, well... I don't like anything marshmallow.
They're metabolized differently I think is the deal and spike your blood sugar levels less than straight sugar. I do like a PB and honey sandwich once in awhile, and I'll put honey in my tea if I'm sick. But, MUST be raw honey only and even then I'm REALLY sick if I'm putting honey in my tea LoL.

I tried baking with honey, and I admit I could not TASTE it, but, like the artificial sweetners it did weird things to my baked goods and they didn't turn out right. So, I stopped experimenting with it, threw away more baked goods than I could count let me tell you. So, I just use regular sugar in baked things and use portion control (you know, 1 cookie instead of 4 LoL), and leave it at that.

I'm not big on marshmellow stuff either, but I put them on top, so they're easy to take off and just eat the sweet potatoe part underneath hehe. My husband and son both LLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEE marshmellows and they'd be mighty mighty upset if they didn't find their way into the sweet potatoes for holidays LoL.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search