Breakfast ideas (with protein)

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 31st, 2013, 07:53 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I usually eat a slice of peanut butter toast or eggs and toast or something like that for breakfast. Sometimes I will have cereal but not very often. I like to eat protein with my breakfast so that's why I usually don't have cereal. I kind of started this when I was pregnant. I had gestational diabetes and protein made a huge difference with my blood sugars. Anyway, I get bored with my routine sometimes. Wondering if anyone had any good ideas.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 31st, 2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I do egg white omelets (either just a TINY sprinkle of cheese or no cheese) with lots of different veggies and some fresh fruit. Some turkey bacon with 1/2 cup of cheerios and 1/2 cup 1% milk, and some fresh fruit. 1-2 pieces of Canadian bacon (ham rounds) with one piece of whole wheat toast and some fresh fruit. 1-2 pieces of Canadian bacon and 2 scrambled egg whites, and fresh fruit. 1-2 scrambled egg whites with some salsa mixed in put in a whole wheat high fiber Ole tortilla and some fresh fruit (sometimes I add a piece of canadian bacon in with it and/or a TBSP or two of no fat refried beans to make a b-fast burrito).

I always have a protein, many times have something low carb (whole wheat torilla, whole wheat toast, or 1/2 cup of cheerios), as well as a piece of fresh fruit (usually a banana).

I'm also Type 2 diabetic, 100% diet controlled, so not only is b-fast very important for me, but keeping it balanced and having protein is very important for me as well.

Once in a blue moon I will have a couple pieces of turkey bacon along with a homemade (small) fresh blueberry pancake (no butter or syrup, just the pancake with some fresh blueberries in it), but that's a huge treat and only once a month at best.
January 31st, 2013, 10:54 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie2One View Post
I do egg white omelets (either just a TINY sprinkle of cheese or no cheese) with lots of different veggies and some fresh fruit. Some turkey bacon with 1/2 cup of cheerios and 1/2 cup 1% milk, and some fresh fruit. 1-2 pieces of Canadian bacon (ham rounds) with one piece of whole wheat toast and some fresh fruit. 1-2 pieces of Canadian bacon and 2 scrambled egg whites, and fresh fruit. 1-2 scrambled egg whites with some salsa mixed in put in a whole wheat high fiber Ole tortilla and some fresh fruit (sometimes I add a piece of canadian bacon in with it and/or a TBSP or two of no fat refried beans to make a b-fast burrito).

I always have a protein, many times have something low carb (whole wheat torilla, whole wheat toast, or 1/2 cup of cheerios), as well as a piece of fresh fruit (usually a banana).

I'm also Type 2 diabetic, 100% diet controlled, so not only is b-fast very important for me, but keeping it balanced and having protein is very important for me as well.

Once in a blue moon I will have a couple pieces of turkey bacon along with a homemade (small) fresh blueberry pancake (no butter or syrup, just the pancake with some fresh blueberries in it), but that's a huge treat and only once a month at best.
That was very helpful! I try to watch my carbs because I've had gestational diabetes 3 times, my dad has type 2, and I have two nephews (my sister's kids) with Type 1, so there's a good chance I could end up with Type 2 when I am older.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
January 31st, 2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Unfortunately you don't have to be "older" to get it. I was diagnosed with Type 2 when I was only 28 years old. They're pretty sure it was more genetics than anything since everyone, and I do mean everyone on my mother's side of the family has it and 99% of the folks on my father's side have it as well. My eating habits were not the greatest, but given my young age, they're leaning more towards genetics. So, just saying, it's a common myth that you have to be older to get type 2, and that's not the case.

Watching carbs is good, but you do not have to eliminate them. Even being diabetic, I'm allowed 15 grams of carbs per snack and up to 50 per full course meal. And, it's about the type as well, things high in fiber, like wheat breads and tortillas are better than white. So, it isn't just about the carbs, but the type as well, also what it is paired with.

I try to have at least one piece of fresh fruit with each snack as well as with b-fast and lunch, a protein with each meal, and a starch/carb at each meal as well. Doing it this way, I've been 100% diet controlled for 2 years now without an issue.

Good luck to you!
January 31st, 2013, 02:22 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'm so bad when it comes to breakfast... glad to read some ideas here! If you like cereal there are some higher protein options. They rely on soy (which I personally try to avoid lots of) so be aware of that.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

January 31st, 2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I try to stay away from most cereals, most are too high in carbs and sugar both (for me anyway). Regular Cheerios is not bad though, especially at only 1/2 cup instead of the full 1 cup serving. Other than Cheerios, I personally haven't touched cereal in 2 years.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search