Things you are doing different this time around...

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 07:50 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
If you've worked out or been in shape or tried to get in shape before, in the past, are you doing anything differently this time?

This is really the first time I've put a legitimate effort into getting fit in YEARS. The last time I really tried I was a vegetarian and had a ridiculous idea of how much I should weigh. I am a small person and I was tiny/borderline-anorexic last time around. I didn't eat well, didn't eat enough protein and never gained muscle. Looking back on things, I think it was because I didn't eat enough and didn't eat the right way for muscle growth. Now I eat more calories, more protein and less carbs. Before my diet was very high in carbs, mainly because I was a vegetarian. I think you can eat healthy as a vegetarian. It can even be healthier but for me I didn't. This time around I am really focusing on eating enough calories to be well nourished so that I can get a good workout in and so my body is getting what it needs for muscle growth. I'm still picky about what I eat but I eat plenty and think I eat pretty well most of the time.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 12th, 2013, 08:55 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
This time I started by adding exercise instead of trying to eliminate food groups or drastically cut calories. Dieting never, ever worked for me, but by focusing on exercising and taking up running/racing it makes me *want* to eat like I imagine a "real" athlete would eat.

And this time I didn't give up when it got hard or discouraging or when I felt stupid. I just accepted that as part of the deal and kept working.
pattyandthemoos likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 12th, 2013, 09:16 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
yea I stopped dieting also. I have tried low carb diets and low fat diets but found if you try to cut out one specific food that's what you want most. After Jacob was born 9 months ago I joined weight watchers and it has been the most wonderful program ever. It helped me lose all my baby weight and then some and now I am on their maintenance program and loving it.

I have always been big into working out so I'm not doing much different in that area. Before I got married and had kids I worked out like crazy and now I just stick to an hour 5 days a week or atleast that is my goal.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 12th, 2013, 09:44 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
yea I stopped dieting also. I have tried low carb diets and low fat diets but found if you try to cut out one specific food that's what you want most. After Jacob was born 9 months ago I joined weight watchers and it has been the most wonderful program ever. It helped me lose all my baby weight and then some and now I am on their maintenance program and loving it.

I have always been big into working out so I'm not doing much different in that area. Before I got married and had kids I worked out like crazy and now I just stick to an hour 5 days a week or atleast that is my goal.
You know I've never used Weight Watchers but I've looked at/heard about their plan and I think it makes sense. I try not to restrict anything from my diet for the reasons you mentioned. I used to be very restrictive. Now, I try to let myself have treats and things like that I just try to be sensible about it.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
February 12th, 2013, 10:09 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since having Kendra 6 1/2 years ago I think I've joined (and re-joined) this board like 5 times. I would start working out and then my old knee injuries would act up and I would end up giving up. I've never really tried dieting. Back in June I started using MFP and tracking calories. That really seemed to help me a lot. Before then I was still eating the way that I used to eat when I was dancing 4 hours a day 5 days a week....but I wasn't doing the dancing which was leading to weight gain. But even with that change I still ended up eventually giving up thanks to my knees. This time around I am still using MFP, but I have changed they type of workout I am doing. And so far, the less intense workout has been working great! I'm definitely much more motivated to work out and stick with what I am doing!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

February 12th, 2013, 01:14 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Patty, my DH just started WW little less than a month ago. He hasn't been able to weigh in since he's been out of town, but he really likes doing it and says he can just tell he's losing weight. This coming from a guy who would NEVER DREAM of going on a diet. I plan to join just as soon as I can after Baby is born, just to keep him company of course.
pattyandthemoos likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

February 13th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Just_Marie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm taking up running and setting running goals starting in December, this is totally new for me

Lucky mother to five!

February 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
3Kendra3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started working out more, I changed my eating habits greatly. I have been working out more then I usually do. I enjoy it now. I see a light at the end of the tunnel, whereas before I was upset if I didn't see a change after 3 weeks. Once I realized it was what I ate, I have done really well. I use the MFP as well and find it really helpful. I am extremely aware of my mistakes now, where before I never thought about how much junk I was actually eating.

Thank you Bokkechick for my beautiful siggy!
February 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Swapping sodas for water makes a HUGE difference. The only downside is the caffeine withdraws you have to go through.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search