Your dinner meals (how healthy are they)

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2013, 05:06 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I like to say I eat healthy but to be honest my dinner meals are not always as healthy as they should be. Dh does not care about eating healthy. Well, he's starting to but he just doesn't think things are unhealthy that I do. For example, one of his favorite things to eat in the mornings is sausage gravy with biscuits. I usually won't touch it, even though it tastes good, because it's loaded in fat and I just don't think it's good for you. Dh thinks it's great and great for you. LOL. So at dinner time we'll eat things with mac n' cheese, for example, and I know mac n' cheese is fattening, but dh and the kids like it so that's what we eat. I usually just try to eat smaller portions of the fatty stuff and put more veggies or meat (depending on what kind of meat it is) on my plate. I can't say I do as well with dinner meals as I'd like, but I think it's okay.

February 21st, 2013, 08:03 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always try to cook healthy. you should check out Hungrygirl.com and skinnymom.com. both of them have some great recipes that are healthy but will fool your DH into thinking that he is eating something bad. I think I posted the chicken parm recipe that I have been making alot. I got it off of skinnymom and it is so yummy and you would never know that you are eating healthy.
SpazTaz likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
February 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
I always try to cook healthy. you should check out Hungrygirl.com and skinnymom.com. both of them have some great recipes that are healthy but will fool your DH into thinking that he is eating something bad. I think I posted the chicken parm recipe that I have been making alot. I got it off of skinnymom and it is so yummy and you would never know that you are eating healthy.
I'll have to check those sites out. Dh is really picky so I'm not sure if he will like this but I'm willing to give it a shot and I'd like some new recipes anyway. I'll have to let you know what I think.
melissalaw likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 09:01 AM
definitely let me know. I signed up for the weekly emails from both websites and I get lots of good recipes sent to me. You might also check out Taste of Home. I get their Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet cookbooks and they have some really great tasty recipes. I think their website is just Find Recipes, Appetizers, Desserts, Holiday Recipes & Healthy Cooking Tips, | Taste Of Home.
SpazTaz likes this.

February 21st, 2013, 10:18 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I make what I make and if my husband doesn't want what I make, then he's free to go make his own thing, or go out, or do whatever he wants. I don't cater. So, my meals are always healthy. Always have a lean protein, a veggie, and a starch. I do make mac and cheese sometimes, but it's a small side (paired with lean protein and veggie), and I only eat 1/4 of a cup of it, which is just fine to eat. And my veggies are always either grilled or stir fried (no oil, just a tiny bit of Pam), and naked, I don't put anyhting on them at all ever, so they stay the way nature intended. Meat, I don't put anything unhealthy on either. Just a few spices.

My husband only eats at home 1-2 days a week due to his work schedule, so those nights I do make a steak for him as that is what he prefers, but then I make a different protein for me typically. No big deal since I have to grill them both. But sides wise, I do what is good for me, and if he isn't happy with that he's welcome to do his own thing.
melissalaw likes this.
February 21st, 2013, 10:21 AM
Same here Meghan. I make what I want and if DH doesn't want to eat it then he can make his own dinner. Although I'm pretty lucky, even if I try something new and it turns out really nasty, DH will eat it and tell me it's good, even though I know he's lying through his teeth..lol.

February 21st, 2013, 11:02 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really should try to fix healthier meals. I guess I am slowly getting there though. Before I started meal planning we ate a lot of boxed and bagged items (hamburger helper, frozen pizzas, etc). With the meal planning I know that I have the ingredients I need to make the food I want. Some of the recipes I fix probably aren't the healthiest, but my family likes them. I'm always up for trying new recipes, so will have to go check out those sites! Thanks for sharing them Melissa!!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

February 21st, 2013, 11:23 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I do pretty well at dinner time, usually. Telling the kids that half our plate should be vegetables has actually helped- one of the few tips from the USDA that I think is actually worth implementing. I never buy boxed dinners; cooking from scratch cuts down on fat, sugars, and unnecessary additives. One thing I love about being home full time again (yay!) is that I can better plan our meals and spend more time cooking.
melissalaw likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search