Gaining weight/gaining muscle

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2013, 12:21 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I wanted to get some thoughts about this. Here are my latest pics.

I hadn't really planned on trying to gain weight when I started my transformation, but now I think maybe I should. I want to say I have not lost weight since I started this in January. My weight is more or less the same in these two pictures but I think you can see how much leaner I look. So, now I think that I might need to start gaining weight and I'm not sure the best way to do that. I don't want to gain fat. I want to build muscle. I'm thinking about having an extra protein shake for breakfast or maybe adding a protein snack like cottage cheese or yogurt and fruit, or maybe cook some chicken and have strips of chicken for snacks during the day. I am not sure how many calories to add to my diet per day or what kind of snacks I should be eating. I've never really tried to gain weight before and I want to do it in a way that I don't just end up with a gut or extra flab on my butt.

I guess I just wanted your some thoughts about this. Do you think I should try to gain weight? Also do you have any other ideas for good snacks that are high in protein?

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Questions like this really make me wish Tonya was still around! I don't know anything about this at all, but I would *think* that your plan to increase calories by increasing protein would be good. But there's no reason to overdo it because I also know that your body can only utilize so much protein at once, I think 26g per meal (every 3-4 hours) is what they say for women.

You're making great progress, btw. Your arms and abs have really gotten defined, good job!

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 13th, 2013, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Questions like this really make me wish Tonya was still around! I don't know anything about this at all, but I would *think* that your plan to increase calories by increasing protein would be good. But there's no reason to overdo it because I also know that your body can only utilize so much protein at once, I think 26g per meal (every 3-4 hours) is what they say for women.

You're making great progress, btw. Your arms and abs have really gotten defined, good job!
I am going to do some reading on this, hopefully today. I have never tried to gain weight and I feel really weird about it. The truth is I don't even know if I will gain weight. I think my body just may need more calories now that I'm working out. I am so confused about what I should be doing now. I just know I don't want to shrink anymore or look any thinner. I just want to do this gradually so I turn it to muscle and not fat.

My protein drinks are not all protein. I think adding one extra will be fine. I just am not sure if I should be adding more. One drink has 15 grams of protein and I mix it with milk so I'm getting the carbs and protein from the milk too. I don't think I am eating enough for how much I am working out. I just don't know how many calories I should be eating now. I'm a little frustrated. Plus, I'm having anxiety about gaining weight. I don't know if I've mentioned this before but I have had issues in the past with my body image and had an eating disorder. So in my mind I still find myself resistant to gaining weight, even when I know it will make me look better. This is a big step for me because I am finally trying to be healthy and fit and not just skinny.

Thanks for your words about my progress. I wasn't sure if I was really making progress till I looked at my pics. I'm so glad I took pictures. It makes me want to stick with it.

March 13th, 2013, 07:47 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't really try to gain weight per se but I would try to gain muscle which would most likely cause some weight gain. I would definitely add in a protein shake after you weight train which should help increase muscle mass. Also you will want to lift heavy weights to increase muscle mass.

You look great. I can definitely see the new muscle definition.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
March 13th, 2013, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
I wouldn't really try to gain weight per se but I would try to gain muscle which would most likely cause some weight gain. I would definitely add in a protein shake after you weight train which should help increase muscle mass. Also you will want to lift heavy weights to increase muscle mass.

You look great. I can definitely see the new muscle definition.
I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don't think I will necessarily gain weight on the scale, but I want to gain muscle. I have a feeling I will gain weight on the scale, but I think if it's muscle weight it will be fine. I really don't want to get too much bigger because I don't want to have to buy new clothes. LOL. But, I definitely don't want to get any smaller. I think if I add calories/protein that will help me gain muscle. I guess I'm just going to do this gradually and see what happens.

It's funny because at first I thought I might need to lose a few pounds to lower my body fat. I've known that muscle is denser/heavier than fat. So I knew that changing my body composition could make me appear thinner. I just think I didn't believe it till I saw it with my own two eyes. LOL.

March 13th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Would working with a sports nutritionist be an option for you?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

March 14th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Would working with a sports nutritionist be an option for you?
I don't know if we have anything like that close by. We live in a pretty rural area. We don't even have a gym close to us anymore. I think I want to do some reading on nutrition and muscle building. I may buy a book. I feel like there is so much to learn. And I don't feel like I know what I'm doing.

March 14th, 2013, 01:23 PM
miamor
you look like you've already been gaining muscle and definition. you look amazing!
how much protein are you currently getting a day?
March 14th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamor View Post
you look like you've already been gaining muscle and definition. you look amazing!
how much protein are you currently getting a day?
Thanks! You know I'm not sure exactly how much. I am aiming for 40 percent protein, 40 percent carbs, and 20 percent fat (or less). I think that I haven't been eating enough in overall calories. I was probably only getting at the most 1400 calories a day, and I think that is good for weight loss but I don't want to lose weight at this point. I have decided to up my calories by 200 a day with either a protein shake, a protein bar, or some type of snack that has a lot of protein. Today I had cottage cheese which has 12g of protein with some fruit and I had a protein shake for breakfast and after my workout. I think if I do this gradually I can see if it works or if I need to add more. I'd rather do it slow and gain weight/muscle slowly.

I started to post yesterday about this but dh and I had a bit of a fight yesterday when I said I thought I needed to try to gain weight. He thinks I look great and that I'm caring too much what people think. I think he is afraid I want to turn into some big bulky muscle bound woman or something. Truth is, I think him and I are not on the same page about my body, but oh well, it's my body. LOL. I think he will like the end results. I think I'm just scaring him by saying I want to get bigger. LOL

March 14th, 2013, 01:44 PM
I've read that for most women it is just plain impossible to get "bulky" unless you are taking hormones or something. So I guess just listen to his concerns (within reason) and then do what you decide is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
I don't know if we have anything like that close by. We live in a pretty rural area. We don't even have a gym close to us anymore. I think I want to do some reading on nutrition and muscle building. I may buy a book. I feel like there is so much to learn. And I don't feel like I know what I'm doing.
I totally relate- I live in western Upper Michigan (Ontonagon area) and there is NOTHING here unless I take a road trip. That's why I was so excited to see those Zumba classes in my little town and worried they won't last if there isn't enough interest.
pattyandthemoos likes this.

March 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM
This eating more is killing me! LOL. You wouldn't think it would be difficult to add 200-300 calories a day. The first day I added a protein shake to breakfast but then I was full and skipped my midmorning snack so I don't know that I accomplished much that day. The next day I did better. Today I had a shake with breakfast and am trying to have my mid morning snack and it's taking everything in me to eat it because I'm just not hungry. I would add the shake to my mid afternoon snack but 1- I have a shake in the afternoon already and 2 - I think I'd just lose my appetite for dinner. I feel like at least this way by the time I do my workout my food will be digested and I can use it towards that workout. I just feel like a total dork struggling with eating more. I'm just in a habit with what/how I eat and extra just feels like too much.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search