Goal setting

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 3 Post By pattyandthemoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
How specific are you with your goals?

I want to set new goals for my next 12 weeks of exercise. I know one goal I have is to decrease my body fat but I also want to increase how much I can lift. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make realistic goals for body fat and for strength. I don't know how much body fat you should be able to lose in 12 weeks. I'd like to reduce it by 5% but I'm not sure if that's achievable .

I'd like to have a specific goal for my exercise but I'm not sure how to do it. I may make my goal to lift 25 or 50% heavier than the beginning but I don't know yet. I'm still thinking on this and will probably do some research to get a better idea of what goals I should set. I just want to have trackable measurable goals and not just I want to work out three times a week.

Anyway, I'm getting longwinded here. When you set goals do you set specific type goals or just general goals?
MommytoZoeAlyssa likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 11th, 2013, 04:44 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I once had a friend tell me that generic goals are no better than wishes. Goals have to be specific and measurable to be true goals. That has helped me a lot, and so has keeping some type of record of what I've done each day. So even when it turns out I didn't make a specific goal, I was usually able to know whether it was because the goal was inappropriate or because I didn't stick with the plan.

USUALLY that's how I approach it. During pregnancy, though, I really have no choice but to listen to my body and play it by ear day by day as to what I think is right for me to do. And right now it isn't healthy for me to try to make fitness gains. Which means that these days if I can look back at my calendar and see I've done a few workouts of any type in the last week, I feel I've done well enough for now. So, to make a short answer long... usually my goals are specific, but lately I've had good reason to keep them general.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 12th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I set pretty specific goals but they are usually smaller so I don't feel overwhelmed by them. Once I meet one of my small goals I'll then make another goal. It's like taking baby steps. Right now my goal is just to walk or hike at the park 5 days a week. I have had a bit of trouble achieving this because of the rain. Weight loss goals are like 2 lbs at a time.

April 12th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like to set daily goals and weekly goals. Plus, they have to be measurable (like drink 96 oz of water, eat five or more servings of fruits/veggies, etc). My weekly goals usually involve days or hours of exercise.

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

April 12th, 2013, 08:14 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am doing monthly goals right now. My goal for this month is to walk 40 miles AND do toning exercises for 300 minutes this month. Last month my goal was to walk 60 miles. I know they are reachable and at the same time make me have to push to do it. I barely made 60 miles last month because things came up and I missed a few workouts (which made me push harder on others). I am staying on schedule to meet my goal so far this month...but the month isn't over yet. Monthly goals seem to work better for me than weekly ones as I seem to get discouraged when things come up and I am not able to meet goals week after week. With monthly goals I have more days to use as make up days and even things out.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 12th, 2013, 08:16 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a lot of goals. Mainly I would like to tone my belly up before I get pregnant with our next. then I always have a weekly goal of working out 5 times.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 13th, 2013, 09:43 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I set weekly and monthly goals. Usually my weekly goals include certain amounts of water and certain number of times exercised (If I set my goal for the day and don't get to do the exercise, that way I can make up for it on another day, so I don't feel like I "failed" my goal). Monthly goals are usually things like using a higher weight for certain exercises, or completing challenges (like the two hundred squat challenge I'm working on right now).
April 16th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I finally decided on my goals. I only made a couple and tried to make them things I have control over. I am going to try to reduce my body fat by 3%. I'm not sure if I can do this or not, but that's my goal. I am also going to try to increase the amount of weight I am lifting for my heaviest weights by 60% by the end of this 12 weeks. I'll have to let you know how I do with this at the end.

April 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
*Rosie*'s Avatar Blessed
On a daily basis I'm trying to count calories - that is the ONLY way I effectively lose weight. If I get to the end of the day, and have not gone over my daily amount, I feel great (hungry, but great).
If I think generally about losing another 10-15 lbs, I know I'll never get there unless I focus on one day at a time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 18th, 2013, 05:45 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
I usually have a long-term goal in mind, usually a specific distance race. This year starting in January, my goal was just to be ready to run a marthon by the end of April. For the month of May, I'm setting just a month long goal going to the gym and working on strength, and shorter distance runs. Then starting in June, my goal again is to be ready and to increase my speed for the marathon I'm running in October. So I guess they are specific goals over a longer period of time.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

April 18th, 2013, 06:39 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine are pretty generic goals. I want to loose at least 20 pounds and be able to get back in my jeans I wore last summer I weighed about 165-170 honestly I would be fairly happy to get back there where i feel more comfortable with my body. I have had a mini goal of trying to walk at least a mile every day there have been only 2 days out of the last 2 weeks i havent walked a mile so i feel pretty good about that. I honestly just want to get healthy and loose weight so in the future my bf and I can have a child together. Id like to do that within the next year because the age gap between a new baby and my daughter is going to be already 7 years.

I think everyones goals sound great I think you guys are all doing a great job!!

April 18th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoes_Mommy View Post
Mine are pretty generic goals. I want to loose at least 20 pounds and be able to get back in my jeans I wore last summer I weighed about 165-170 honestly I would be fairly happy to get back there where i feel more comfortable with my body. I have had a mini goal of trying to walk at least a mile every day there have been only 2 days out of the last 2 weeks i havent walked a mile so i feel pretty good about that. I honestly just want to get healthy and loose weight so in the future my bf and I can have a child together. Id like to do that within the next year because the age gap between a new baby and my daughter is going to be already 7 years.

I think everyones goals sound great I think you guys are all doing a great job!!
I like reading everyone's goals too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search