On the subject of water, do you really need 8 cups of water a day?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 06:48 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
This is what I have always heard but I've never in my whole life drank 8 cups of water a day. Even when water is the only thing I drink, I don't drink that much. I drink maybe 4 cups of water a day. I have always just drank to thirst. When I try to up my water I just spend my whole day uncomfortable, in the bathroom, peeing all day.

So this morning I found an article on Snopes about this.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

What do you think? Myth? Do you think you need this much water in a day?

I don't think it hurts to make a goal of 8 cups a day and I think on days where you are losing fluids from exercise or if it's hot outside, it would make good sense to up your water intake, but I think drinking to thirst is probably sufficient. This is just my opinion though.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 16th, 2013, 11:55 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think that you would have to drink 8 glasses of water a day, but I do think it is a good goal to aim for. I know that once I started increasing my water intake, I didn't seem to snack as much.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 16th, 2013, 02:08 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
It's a generic recommendation, but I think it's a good starting point for most people. I've read that most of us are chronically dehydrated, to the point we don't even recognize the signs. When you first up your water intake it does result in more bathroom trips, but your body adjusts quickly.

A better rule of thumb than thirst, IMO, is that your urine should be very light yellow to nearly clear. Any darker than that, you're not getting enough fluids.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 16th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Ditto on the urine colour thing - that's what I did when I was pregnant, and what I do now while nursing. I've found, since tracking my water on MFP, I need about 8-10 a day. But, I'm still nursing, so I think when I'm not, I probably need less.

I find after I take my vitamins in the morning, my first pee after that is electric yellow

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I think that it is probably different for different people, but it's probably a good generic goal.
April 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Jess, you must be taking a lot of B vitamins in the morning... I forget which one it is that does that!
Jessimaaka likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 17th, 2013, 04:18 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think everyone needs 8 glasses. Drinking a lot of water is good to curb snacking. I have heard before that our bodies will think we are hungry when we are really thirsty.

April 17th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
Jess, you must be taking a lot of B vitamins in the morning... I forget which one it is that does that!
I'm guessing its what's in my prenatal. I take vitamin D and fenugreek as well, and I doubt its those!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 17th, 2013, 07:21 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
It's a generic recommendation, but I think it's a good starting point for most people. I've read that most of us are chronically dehydrated, to the point we don't even recognize the signs. When you first up your water intake it does result in more bathroom trips, but your body adjusts quickly.

A better rule of thumb than thirst, IMO, is that your urine should be very light yellow to nearly clear. Any darker than that, you're not getting enough fluids.
I never have dark urine. I take medication that can cause dehydration. When I don't drink enough I get side effects like little jerks and twitches so it makes me really conscientious about this. But, I still don't usually drink 8 cups. I guess I should really try to count how much I drink in a day and see if I can handle drinking more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggymom View Post
I don't think everyone needs 8 glasses. Drinking a lot of water is good to curb snacking. I have heard before that our bodies will think we are hungry when we are really thirsty.
I have heard this too so I will sometimes drink a big cup of water first to see if that helps my hunger.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 17th, 2013, 07:47 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My prenatals do the same thing. Right after I take them my urine is a dark yellow. the rest of the day it is mostly clear which is my goal. I think I do drink atleast 8 glasses of water every day and probably more. If I find myself hungry at a time when I don't usually eat I will drink a glass of water and see if I'm still hungry because for me I think sometimes I may just be thirsty and not really hungry.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 17th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Patty, you are a lot smaller than I am, so it makes sense that you would stay hydrated with a lot less water. I have found that I, personally, need at least 2 and often 3 quarts of water daily. But I am "big and tall".

It's kinda like the generic "2,000 calorie diet" that the USDA uses to assign daily values for nutrients... works for those who are right at the 50 percentile, but for the rest of us, we have to adjust.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search