Bruises from doing squats

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 08:27 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
We have a barbell now so I am doing my squats with a barbell and not with dumbbells. I am trying to increase how much I can lift as well. The problem I have always had with squats has more to do with getting the bar over my head and getting bruises on my neck or shoulders from them. Has anyone had this problem or read up on this?

I'm thinking about just getting a pad or using a towel but I don't know how much that will help. I have a bruise now and it really hurts. I'm not looking forward to my next workout because of this. I don't know if my body will adjust and this will get easier.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 17th, 2013, 10:20 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
ouch! I've never done much work with a barbell so I can't say I've heard of this problem. Have you tried looking it up? Yeah, I would think maybe a rolled up towel or similar pad would help, maybe have your spotter help you get the bar where it needs to be? IDK...

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 17th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
ouch! I've never done much work with a barbell so I can't say I've heard of this problem. Have you tried looking it up? Yeah, I would think maybe a rolled up towel or similar pad would help, maybe have your spotter help you get the bar where it needs to be? IDK...
Yeh, I googled on it this morning. I think I am going to try to position the bar a little lower next time and see if that helps and I may roll a towel up to see if that helps.

April 17th, 2013, 11:32 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ouch! So sorry you have gotten a bruise from your barbell. I don't have a barbell and haven't done anything with one since high school when we lifted weights during sports practices. I hope you are able to find something that helps. Just did a search to see if this idea would work and found a site suggesting it...You could buy some foam pipe insulation to wrap around the bar and it would probably stay in place better than a towel. (http://www.videofitness.com/beginners/bc-strength.php)

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 17th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyloves2dance View Post
Ouch! So sorry you have gotten a bruise from your barbell. I don't have a barbell and haven't done anything with one since high school when we lifted weights during sports practices. I hope you are able to find something that helps. Just did a search to see if this idea would work and found a site suggesting it...You could buy some foam pipe insulation to wrap around the bar and it would probably stay in place better than a towel. (http://www.videofitness.com/beginners/bc-strength.php)
Thanks! I just ordered a foam pad from amazon so hopefully it will help.

April 17th, 2013, 12:01 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh no. I have never had that happen but a lot of the time I will lift the barbell up and just hold it in front of me as I squat instead of placing it on my shoulders. I will sort of cross my arms and support it in front of me.

I hope the foam pad works. If not you might try holding it in front. I hope your bruise heals soon.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 17th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
Oh no. I have never had that happen but a lot of the time I will lift the barbell up and just hold it in front of me as I squat instead of placing it on my shoulders. I will sort of cross my arms and support it in front of me.

I hope the foam pad works. If not you might try holding it in front. I hope your bruise heals soon.
That's what I did with most of my other leg exercises. When I did calf raises I just held it in front of me but I don't feel like I can balance when I do squats if I don't put it on my shoulders. I'll have to play around with my positioning of the bar and see if that helps.

April 17th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
No additional advice, but hope your bruises heal quickly.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search