Spaghetti Squash

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By babyloves2dance
  • 1 Post By SpazTaz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2013, 08:11 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seems like we talked about spaghetti squash once before but I can't really remember. Has anybody tried spaghetti squash? Was it good? did your kids like it? I found this recipe http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/spag...ash-casserole/ that I thought I might try but wasn't sure how the spaghetti squash would taste.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 17th, 2013, 09:59 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Spaghetti squash is one of those veggies I would like to try too, so can't help you with how it tastes. I wanted to try this recipe with it: http://skinnymom.com/2012/09/20/spag...key-meatballs/
melissalaw likes this.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 17th, 2013, 10:12 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I haven't had spaghetti squash in a long time but I like it. To me it tastes a lot like butternut squash so if you like that you will like spaghetti squash. It just has a little different texture. It's stringy like spaghetti. My kids don't like any type of squash so I'm sure they wouldn't eat this but your recipe looks yummy.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I made two casseroles, one with spaghetti squash and one with noodles... all my kids thought the squash was better! I think it has almost a very mild "buttery" flavor. I didn't use a recipe, but the one you linked is very similar to what I did... I kinda layered it with cheese and poured prepared pasta sauce over the top then sprinkled with parmesan.

I also figured out the reason I didn't have success with it before is because I didn't drain it enough. When you first fork it out, do it into a strainer and allow liquid to drain, even pressing gently. Otherwise it is really soggy.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Kelsey that one looks great. If you make it let me know how you like it. I might try it also but I'm not a huge fan of making meatballs, a lot of work.

April 17th, 2013, 12:16 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It will have to wait until this summer probably as none of the grocery stores around here have spaghetti squash right now.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
My parents make it all the time, never when I'm over though! So I've never had it. Those sound good though!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 18th, 2013, 12:36 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I've never tried it, but I don't like squash, so that's probably why
April 18th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
LOVE spaghetti squash and my son actually prefers it to pasta. I use it in place of pasta and put our fav sauces over the spaghetti squash. I don't buy pasta for the house anymore. Offered to make pasta for my son and he said no he likes the squash better, and he routinely asks for it a few times a month. I poke 3-4 holes in it, put it in the microwave and cook it for 15-20 minutes depending on the size, let it cool for 10 minutes , cut it in half, scoop out seeds, then scoop out meat and it's perfect. Makes for a pretty quick and easy dinner. It can be a little on the pricey side, but I've found that farmer's market type places usually have great deals on it, and I buy a few at a time since it takes FOREVER for them to go bad.
melissalaw likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I'm going to check the grocery store when I go this afternoon and see if I can even get spaghetti squash right now. If I can, I think I'll pick one up and try it. I'll let you guys know what we think.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search