AF and Weight Gain

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2pinks&ablue

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 12:45 PM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does anybody else's weight go up during AF? I have been without AF for a long time. Jacob is 11 months old and I just got it back last month. So it's been awhile for me. Last month I didn't notice any change on the scale but this month the scale has gone up 1 1/2 lbs since Monday and the only thing that has changed is that AF showed up yesterday. I'm wondering if it's just water retention due to AF and it will drop back down when she's gone. Does this happen to anybody else?

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 18th, 2013, 01:07 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I can't really say from personal experience, but I have heard women complaining of this enough to assume it must be common and normal. Whether it is cravings or water retention, who knows. Some women seem to gain during AF, others seem to gain the week before. After a couple of cycles you will probably know what is normal for you.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 18th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Ditto. I don't have mine back yet (DS is 8 months) so I can't say for sure if it has an effect on me, but it definitely varies by person.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 18th, 2013, 02:13 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I've had one AF cycle in the past 31 months Before that though, I always gained a bit before or during AF, I blamed water retention.
jhmomofmany likes this.
April 19th, 2013, 04:31 AM
Buggymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes! I always gain a few pounds before and during. Then toward the end of my time I pee it all out. It's water retention for sure.

April 19th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks ladies. Hopefully it is just water retention and when AF is gone the weight will go away also.

April 19th, 2013, 06:12 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always get bloated and have water weight gain during AF and have since I had Zoe 7 years ago lol I tihnk its fairly normal.

April 19th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
So AF returned for me this morning. This week as of yesterday I finally moved through a plateau (I hope!), so I think it may have contributed to my 6 week plateau.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 19th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessimaaka View Post
So AF returned for me this morning. This week as of yesterday I finally moved through a plateau (I hope!), so I think it may have contributed to my 6 week plateau.
Jess I'm sorry that AF is back. It is so nice not having it

April 19th, 2013, 12:20 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Do you ever put lemon in your water? Fresh lemon is supposed to help with water retention.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 20th, 2013, 10:35 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I usually gain a couple of pounds during AF. It seems to come off pretty easy for me afterward, so I think it is water retention too.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 22nd, 2013, 07:59 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I always have problems with this. I don't even pay attention to my weight when AF is around because I know it will go right back down. I gain 3-4 lbs almost every time AF is here.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 22nd, 2013, 08:27 AM
It was definitely water retention or something to do with AF because Sunday morning I weighted 3 lbs less than I did on Saturday morning and I did nothing different other than AF finished up on Saturday. I even had some birthday cake on Saturday so I'm pretty sure the weight gain was because of AF. I hope this is not going to start happening every month.

Jennifer I don't normally put lemon in my water but I picked some up this morning so I'll try that and see if that will help with next month.

April 22nd, 2013, 08:30 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
It was definitely water retention or something to do with AF because Sunday morning I weighted 3 lbs less than I did on Saturday morning and I did nothing different other than AF finished up on Saturday. I even had some birthday cake on Saturday so I'm pretty sure the weight gain was because of AF. I hope this is not going to start happening every month.

Jennifer I don't normally put lemon in my water but I picked some up this morning so I'll try that and see if that will help with next month.
If you try it let us know if it helps. I'd like to try it too. Sometimes my legs will ache because of how much water I'm retaining.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search