Tips for beginning runners

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Amy B.
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 1 Post By Jessimaaka
  • 1 Post By *Rosie*
  • 1 Post By babyloves2dance
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By melissalaw
  • 1 Post By nurselochia

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2013, 04:49 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't run since high school....and really, I wasn't any good at it! LOL! Between knee injuries and being diagnosed with physically induced asthma (which only really seemed to effect me when running long distances), I just couldn't seem to do well at it. Lately I've started wondering if my "asthma" was more not being fit and not knowing how to breathe while running than actual asthma. But I haven't really tested my theory yet.

Anyway....enough blabbering....I've been considering trying the couch to 5K program once it started warming up outside. I know we have a lot of runners on the board, so just wanted to pick your brains for advice/tips for someone who wants to start running.

I don't have a treadmill and don't like our elliptical, so all my possible running will be taking place outside.

TIA!

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 21st, 2013, 05:01 PM
Amy B.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I much prefer to run outside (kind of hate the treadmill). What I did when I started and will probably have to do again since I'm starting over is to run for a minute or two, walk for a minute or two, and keep doing that until I was running more than walking. I eventually got to wear I could run straight through. (Ran a half marathon in 2011.)
babyloves2dance likes this.

Thank you, peimum, for my beautiful siggy!

April 21st, 2013, 05:52 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Yay, another runner! Good luck!

If you can get professionally fitted for a good pair of running shoes, that made a huge difference for me. Solved my problems with shin and knee pain overnight.

I haven't personally used c25k but I've always heard good things about it. This link has helpful info for beginning a run/walk program. Whatever you decide to do, remember to avoid "The Too's". That would be too much, too fast, too soon.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

April 21st, 2013, 06:29 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I started C25K on the treadmill in January, but ended up injuring my knee, and I stopped. I think it was because I have an old-school treadmill. Chantelle and I were talking about starting it up again outside once the weather turned nicer. I have been thinking about it lately and have mapped out a 5K route through my neighbourhood.

I would love to be a runner. There's a running club at work - my boss and another co-worker ran Boston this year (my boss was less than a mile from finishing, the co-worker finished 10 min before - both them and their families were uninjured....saw everything though), and I was going to join and then became pregnant. I'd love to return to work and be able to run with them! They run two 5Ks a week.

Watching this thread closely

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 21st, 2013, 07:03 PM
*Rosie*'s Avatar Blessed
I did the couch to 5K several years ago, and it really worked for me. I am a non-runner, but I found it a very easy program to follow and saw good progress pretty quickly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks everyone!

Not sure if I will be able to get a professional shoe fitting anytime soon. I have to drive at least 3 hours to get to a store that sells athletic shoes and there is no guarantee that their employees know how to fit running shoes. I've been having really good luck with my new workout shoes (the ones I bought last month). My knee problems went away after buying them, so may give them a try and then try to do a fitting if they don't work. The ones I bought are running shoes. Both stores I went to were completely sold out of walking and cross training shoes in my size.

Maybe we could start a couch to 5K group on the board. Keep each other motivated and accountable.
Jessimaaka likes this.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

April 22nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Not a runner, not a wannabe runner, but I wanted to encourage you. I know we have some more runners on JM so hopefully they will add their tips as well.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
April 22nd, 2013, 10:03 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good Luck Kelsey. I do most of my running on my treadmill as I run in the early morning hours before it's light outside. When I train for marathons and half marathons, I will do my long run outside on the weekends and I prefer to run outside. The scenery is so much better.

I started running in 2007 and when I started I would try to run for about 5 or 10 minutes then walk a bit then I would run some more until I worked myself up to running for longer period of time. I have never done a couch to 5k program. Let us know how your doing.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 22nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
Yay, another runner! I've heard great things about the C25K program...several friends of mine did that and had great results and a few went on to running longer distances, like 10K and a half. I think running outside is a great way to start because I think it's more exciting than running on a treadmill and I know that my stride is completely different on a treadmill than on the road for some reason. Good shoes are important...as long as your feet are comfortable and you have plenty of room in the toes, your feet will be happy. Usually your running shoes are about a size bigger than what you normally wear in day to day shoes.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

April 23rd, 2013, 04:02 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I was a runner until I got pregnant, and now that it's warming up again I plan to start up again. Like Jess said we tried the C25K but I think it will go much better outside. The biggest thing with running is not overdoing it right away, you could end up with injuries, plus it's easy to get discouraged.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search