Someone please tell me I'm nuts!

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 02:19 PM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
Because I'm sorta/kinda considering running another marathon on May 19th and I really need someone to talk sense into me! I initially looked at the 25K, which would be just fine...but then I saw there is a marathon option and it got me thinking, maybe I could run that instead (looney tunes! )

Here are a few reasons why I shouldn't:
1. I work weekends. This is the biggest reason. I work every Sat/Sun night, 12 hours. It's a Sunday race and I plan on finding someone to switch me Sat for Friday. That way I could run that Sunday morning because I'll be off on Saturday. The problem is I'll have to work Sunday night...12 hour nightshift. and I struggled getting through the night after the marathon a week ago, but I did it. the 25K would be just fine for me to run that morning and be just fine for work that night.

2. It's less than a month from my last marathon and while I feel great right now, I've heard stories from other people about their attempts at a second marathon so soon after the first, and they struggled a bit and didn't do as well as they thought they would because they weren't really fully recovered.

3. May is supposed to be my month off training.

I need to get it out of my head because it's not a good idea, logic says no way, but once I get an idea in my head, it's hard for me to resist the temptation. Especially because last weekend, I didn't really feel like it was my race. Well, it wasn't, I stayed with my friend who was struggling. This would give me a chance to see what I can do. *sigh*

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

May 4th, 2013, 04:28 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Oh, Jaime, I'd be tempted too! But it sounds like you already know this is probably a bad idea. If you run the marathon, it probably wouldn't be a fair opportunity to "see what you can do". You have a marathon later in the season planned for that, right? But if you really want to do it and if you can avoid injury, why not go for it? IDK, it's a tough decision.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you at this point in time, whichever option you chose. Let us know!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 5th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I've kinda come to my senses lol. Honestly though, the only thing keeping me from running the marathon is that 12 hours shift to follow that night. If I could get out of that, and I can't...weekend option agreement...then I'd sign up. That and there are only 2 other labor nurses that could switch days, so I might not even be able to do the 25K. It was a weak moment, and after getting to work last night and remembering that a lap around my unit is 1/10 of a mile, and that I spend all shift walking, squatting, etc...it can't happen And 15.5 miles is a not a short distance, and doable without discomfort and a recovery period

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

May 6th, 2013, 12:04 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I'm glad you sorted everything out. I think marathoning can get addictive and you have to decide to which ones you can handle doing.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 7th, 2013, 04:19 PM
It is addicting, and it seems so strange that it is because it's not an easy thing to do and it's painful to be quite honest. But I love a challenge, and the feeling of finishing is great! It is tough on the body and I'll never be one of those crazy people who run a marathon every weekend. But I do need to let my body heal and recover and to give it a break. And I just can't fathom another recovery and walking down stairs backwards, not being able to move without discomfort right now.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search