Someone explain circuits to me

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 9th, 2013, 08:13 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I have the gist that you do different exercises in a circuit. But, what is the benefit of this. Don't you exhaust your muscle more if you do the exercise back to back to back, or is there some sort of benefit to doing different exercise in a loop. Also how many times do you do a circuit and how many exercises should you do. Tell me more about this!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 9th, 2013, 11:07 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Seems like there are two ways to do circuits. One way is to combine cardio exercises with weight training exercises. The benefit here is the increased calorie burn. You do not burn a lot of calories doing curls and extensions. But do those same curls and extensions with intervals of jumping jacks or burpees, and you will get a nice burn.

Another way is to do traditional weight training routines, but without breaks in between exercises. Again, the benefit here is increased calorie burn, as well as a quicker workout. So, traditional weight routine for upper body might be to do three sets of curls with 60 seconds of rest in between, then three sets of pushups with rest intervals, then three sets of flies with rest intervals. To make that into a circuit, you would do curls to exhaustion, immediately followed by pushups to exhaustion, immediately followed by flies, then repeat. The idea being that your biceps will recover while you do pushups, your chest and triceps will recover while you do flies, your shoulders will recover while you do curls, and so on.

Yeah, that sounds really "know-it-all" but I'm no expert so I hope that is right, LOL! Does that even make sense? How many exercises you do depends on your fitness levels and how much time you have. How often you do it depends on whether you are doing full-body or a split routine. You know a particular muscle group is ready to be worked again when it is no longer sore. Generally, you do not want to work the same muscle group for at least 48 hours.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

May 9th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I think that makes sense, its definitely the premise behind videos like the 30 Day Shred which tends to provide good results for a good amount of people (me included )

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 10th, 2013, 07:42 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Thanks! See I think I had heard of circuit training doing cardio in between, but the second type where you do different exercises in a circuit is new to me. I may decide to try this out but I want to finish my 12 week challenge first. I am struggling to stick with that so I want to do that first. Then I might experiment with something new or even add something like this into my routine and maybe just do it one or two days a week. I don't know. I'd really like to read more on the science of different things.
jhmomofmany likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search