Strength Training

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I need some help with this. I have NO experience with strength training.

We have a bowflex and I want to use it. I enjoy cardio (I love the rush once I do half an hour of it), but since my plateau, I realize I need to add in strength training. Doing many reps with 3lb and 5lb weights just isn't going to cut it (Jillian Michaels videos).

So, has anyone worked with a bowflex or have any suggestions? I am going to watch some youtube videos and such for form, but other than that...I need help!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 13th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't have a whole lot of experience either, just getting started so I'm hoping for suggestions too. Right now I have just been doing a few arm exercises I found online with some 8lb (plenty heavy for me atm, I can only do 10-15 reps with them) weights.
As far as I've figured out researching thus far, it's better to do fewer reps with more weight to really build muscle, but that's all I have really nailed down so far lol.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

May 13th, 2013, 09:24 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm also pretty new to weights. I did a 10 minute solution target toning video last month that really made my muscles burn, but a lot of the stuff on there used your own body weight. I've also heard that using heavier weight for less reps is better for gaining muscle.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

May 14th, 2013, 05:28 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
When I started strength training I felt the exact same way. I had no idea what to do. My sister told me about Body for Life and I used their program for 12 weeks. I think it is a great program for beginners. Body-for-LIFE Weight Training

Now I do something a little different, but similar.
I do 2 exercises per muscle group
Chest, Back, Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps, Quads, Hamstrings, Calves, & Abs

I do 3 sets of reps for each exercise. I start with a lighter weight that I can do a set of 12 of. The next set I add weight to (usually 5 lbs) and try to do another set of 12. Then I do a third set (add another 5 lbs) and just do as many as I can. Once I can do 12 reps on the third set I bump everything up so if I was doing 10 lbs, 15 lbs, and 20 lbs, the next time I work out I would do 15, 20, and 25.

I made myself workout logs that lists all the exercises. I have two workout logs because I rotate some of the exercises for example, on Monday I do bench presses, on Wednesday I do incline bench presses. This way I can get a bigger a variety of exercises.

I found a great site that lists all kinds of bowflex exercises.
Bowflex Exercises | Your Guide to Bowflex Exercises

I would pick two exercises per muscle group to do for your workouts. And personally I like splitting it up between upper body and lower body, otherwise your workouts can get really long. I used to do a full body workout three times a week but it took forever.

I would definitely keep a log. This way you can track your progress and know when to increase the amount you are lifting.

I am not the weight training expert but if you have any questions or need help I'll do my best to help you. I would love to see more girls doing strength training over here.
Jessimaaka likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 14th, 2013, 05:51 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Here's what my workout logs look like just to give you some ideas. I added a glutes section to the legs because I wanted that and some of the exercises don't fit into their category perfectly. Dh skips all the glutes exercises LOL. I don't have my ab routine on here but I thought this might give you some ideas.

nurselochia likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 14th, 2013, 12:19 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Wow, Patty, so organized!

I don't have a lot to add, I don't have a big piece of weight equipment like the bowflex, most of my strength is done with free weights/bar weights (when I'm at the gym) and bodyweight training.
May 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Ohhh Patty! Thank you for sharing those!!!! Going to print them off! You are super organized!

I used the link you provided above, and did some of those this morning, 3 reps of 12 each, at 30lbs, 35lbs and then 40lbs....I could barely finish them so I think that's my starting weight for back/chest/arm exercises. I did some dead lifts, and I could easily complete them at that weight so I'll up them, but I kinda figured my legs would be stronger.

I'm getting super excited for this, thank you again Patty!

I don't have a gym membership and I workout while Cam naps so anything I can do at home

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search