Healthy Eating Habits

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2013, 12:03 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Did your family have healthy eating habits when you were younger? Do you feel like that has helped or hindered you in your efforts now? Do your kids enjoy healthy eating?
May 19th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My mom tried to limit how much snacking I did, but we really didn't eat that healthy. Lots of quick meals and cheap like hamburger helper when I was little. When I was a teenager we all did start making some effort to eat healthier. But I have always been overweight and it got worse when I moved out on my own because then I still ate bad stuff but didn't have any sort of restriction on how much of it I ate like I did when I was younger so I was really bad about way over eating.
I'm really making the effort to change my lifestyle when it comes to food and encourage healthy eating with my daughter. She LOVES fruit and veggies but is pretty picky about everything else, but I think that's a good start.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

May 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
kolbysmom's Avatar Ready For Spring!
Send a message via Yahoo to kolbysmom
We had horrible eating habits when I was growing up. Living in Texas if it didn't move, it got fried. lol Very little veggies, and if we did have veggies offered, it was corn......

I have no idea how to eat healthy. I find that since I didn't grow up with fruits and veggies, I didn't acquire a taste for them.

So, I am trying to get my kids to eat healthy and it is hard!

Come Join the Fun Over at Forty Something (and Plus) Mommies
If You've Got Boys, Stop by the Moms of Boys board!

May 19th, 2013, 06:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbysmom View Post
We had horrible eating habits when I was growing up. Living in Texas if it didn't move, it got fried. lol Very little veggies, and if we did have veggies offered, it was corn......

I have no idea how to eat healthy. I find that since I didn't grow up with fruits and veggies, I didn't acquire a taste for them.

So, I am trying to get my kids to eat healthy and it is hard!
I grew up in Georgia so I know what you mean. If it wasn't one of the quick meals, it was something fried.

I'm actually finding now that I like some of the veggies I didn't want to eat growing up. When I was little I was very picky and as far as veggies went if it wasn't corn, hominy (which is still corn hah) or occasionally broccoli, I wasn't eating it. Potatoes counted as a vegetable in my house so I ate a ton of those too.
Now most of my plate at is usually veggies, it's still pretty limited in the big scheme of things but I'm making an improvement. Now I also will eat cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, green beans, turnips, carrots, spinach and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting hah. Maybe try some veggies you don't think you like cooked different ways. Like brussel spouts, I think they're gross boiled but really tasty oven roasted until they're browned and a little crispy.

May 19th, 2013, 06:51 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I was actually really lucky in this regard. My Mom didn't marry my Dad until I was five, and when it was just Mom and I we ate really healthy. When she married my Dad, we started eating worse but I still always enjoyed healthy food, and actually prefer it in a lot of cases. My brother and sister (a lot younger than me) are very picky eaters, and I think those first 5 years are why I'm not.

My kids aren't picky at all, the only vegetables they won't eat are brussel sprouts, and they love raw veggies and fruit for snacks or with meals!
May 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenyx View Post
I grew up in Georgia so I know what you mean. If it wasn't one of the quick meals, it was something fried.

I'm actually finding now that I like some of the veggies I didn't want to eat growing up. When I was little I was very picky and as far as veggies went if it wasn't corn, hominy (which is still corn hah) or occasionally broccoli, I wasn't eating it. Potatoes counted as a vegetable in my house so I ate a ton of those too.
Now most of my plate at is usually veggies, it's still pretty limited in the big scheme of things but I'm making an improvement. Now I also will eat cauliflower, brussel sprouts, peas, green beans, turnips, carrots, spinach and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting hah. Maybe try some veggies you don't think you like cooked different ways. Like brussel spouts, I think they're gross boiled but really tasty oven roasted until they're browned and a little crispy.

I cannot believe that I forgot potatoes! LOL In my house it was 'the starchier the better!' Yikes!

Awesome...this is what I need. Some ideas and even maybe some recipes for some healthy great ideas!

May 19th, 2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I cannot believe that I forgot potatoes! LOL In my house it was 'the starchier the better!' Yikes!

Awesome...this is what I need. Some ideas and even maybe some recipes for some healthy great ideas!
Give me a couple days (because I'm absent minded and kinda slow at getting things done lol) and I'll get a few of the recipes I've tried and liked recently together for you. I know I have some for cauliflower, brussel sprouts and green beans and probably a few other things.

May 19th, 2013, 09:28 PM
oh! that would be awesome! Thank you so much!!!

May 20th, 2013, 07:01 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Dad was a farmer/rancher and worked 24/7, Mom worked in town, Add in my brother and my extracurricular activities and we were really busy. We ate a lot of hamburger and tuna helper as well as pizza, microwave meals, fried stuff, anything fast and easy. Mom would try to cook when she could, and did teach me to cook so I could cook when she was working but I was home. We drank a lot of pop and snacks were candy and candybars. Never really had much for fruit in the house. Vegetables were usually potatoes or something canned. So not very healthy.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

May 20th, 2013, 07:10 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
My parents ate very healthy. Because my mom (stepmom) was borderline diabetic, we never had much sugar in the house, no sugary cereals, no sugary pops or koolaid. If we had koolaid it was sugar free. She also baked everything and never fried foods and I'm glad she was like that because now I prefer backed foods over fried. I think we ate healthier than most people and I definitely think it helped me.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
May 20th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
We ate pretty healthy but I think it backfired since once I had my own money to spend and such, I would buy crap. So moderation will be key. But that's how I am now...and portions of course. We always had small portions.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
May 20th, 2013, 02:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
oh! that would be awesome! Thank you so much!!!
I made a post in the recipe sub for you. I feel like I'm forgetting some so if i remember any more I'll let you know.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search