For those watching calories

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HolaBebe
  • 1 Post By pattyandthemoos

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
About how many do you normally burn a day?
Baby #2 is on the way!! PROVERBS 3:5-6

June 4th, 2013, 07:08 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
anywhere from 600-1000 a day depending on what I do for exercise
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

June 4th, 2013, 07:12 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I think I burn about 400 but that's just a guess.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 4th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Are you talking from exercise? Usually around 300.

In general, I tried figuring that out over the weekend, but my HRM that calculates it stops at 9 hours and 59 minutes and 59 seconds...I'm guessing on day without exercise it will be around 2600-2700...but I lost about an hour and a half where it wasn't running.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
June 4th, 2013, 11:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What all do you mamas do for workouts? I started trying to use my fitness pal as I've had people recommend it to be but I'm just confused. Yesterday I started the crunch and squat 30 day challenge. So, I did those, a Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds 2 mile high calorie burn dvd and a leslie sansone walk away the pounds 1 mile super challenge for abs; not including chasing an active never ending toddler around the house - LOL. And, myfitnesspal.com is stating that I only burned about 300 calories. What all do I have to do? I personally though that was pretty good for me since I don't care for working out much but now I'm discourage more so than before. And, it also stated that yesterday I ate about 400 too few calories? I know recommended is 1200 but I didn't feel hungry in the evening after dinner and don't think I starved myself. I'm not really loosing any weight after 3 weeks trying and I just need help. Any of you ladies have any suggestions? Sorry to go on but I'm hoping I can get some help/understanding

June 4th, 2013, 11:52 AM
*Rosie*'s Avatar Blessed
This is the website I use to determine how many calories I need. It works for me
How Many Calories Do You Need?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 4th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 View Post
What all do you mamas do for workouts? I started trying to use my fitness pal as I've had people recommend it to be but I'm just confused. Yesterday I started the crunch and squat 30 day challenge. So, I did those, a Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds 2 mile high calorie burn dvd and a leslie sansone walk away the pounds 1 mile super challenge for abs; not including chasing an active never ending toddler around the house - LOL. And, myfitnesspal.com is stating that I only burned about 300 calories. What all do I have to do? I personally though that was pretty good for me since I don't care for working out much but now I'm discourage more so than before. And, it also stated that yesterday I ate about 400 too few calories? I know recommended is 1200 but I didn't feel hungry in the evening after dinner and don't think I starved myself. I'm not really loosing any weight after 3 weeks trying and I just need help. Any of you ladies have any suggestions? Sorry to go on but I'm hoping I can get some help/understanding
Hope it's okay if I reply... I am not a mommy, just a chronic lurker and Dietitian
1200 calories a day is pretty bottom barrel and should be your minimum intake in order to support your body's natural functions and any added exercise you do. If you find that you are consistently not hungry enough to eat that much, try fitting in a snack earlier in the day or incorporate more calories into other meals; it is really important to eat enough to support weight loss. Your body can move into a starvation mode if you consistently eat too few calories.

Don't get frustrated that you are "only burning 300 calories" through exercise. Especially if you are not a big exerciser, that is awesome! Small goals now help you achieve larger goals later. Gradually you can increase how long you are working out or up the frequency, but for now, just stepping a little bit outside of your comfort zone is good! No need to feel guilty for not burning a bajillion calories at workouts.

Good luck and stay positive!
jhmomofmany likes this.
June 4th, 2013, 12:53 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Quote:
I think that is about right. And I don't think 300 calories is bad at all!! I *think* I burn about 400 calories from an hour of strength training but that's just an estimate. When I do the elliptical it's probably only 200ish calories. What I would do is work on increasing your lean muscle so that your body uses more calories. You can do that from any type of strength training. 1200 is the least amount of calories you want to eat. Don't go any lower than that. Just try to be patient and I'd try to work on doing things that burn fat and build muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolaBebe View Post
Hope it's okay if I reply... I am not a mommy, just a chronic lurker and Dietitian
1200 calories a day is pretty bottom barrel and should be your minimum intake in order to support your body's natural functions and any added exercise you do. If you find that you are consistently not hungry enough to eat that much, try fitting in a snack earlier in the day or incorporate more calories into other meals; it is really important to eat enough to support weight loss. Your body can move into a starvation mode if you consistently eat too few calories.

Don't get frustrated that you are "only burning 300 calories" through exercise. Especially if you are not a big exerciser, that is awesome! Small goals now help you achieve larger goals later. Gradually you can increase how long you are working out or up the frequency, but for now, just stepping a little bit outside of your comfort zone is good! No need to feel guilty for not burning a bajillion calories at workouts.

Good luck and stay positive!
Thank you for your input! I hope you will pop in more often. I agree on the 1200 being the bare minimum.
HolaBebe likes this.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 4th, 2013, 01:18 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
I agree with 1200 being the bare minimum unless you are being watched by a dr on a lower calorie diet....I think there are ways you can do it healthy and be okay....but I know I cannot do 1200 calories, I tried it and I gained 2lbs over a week....so I upped it to 1500 and started loosing weight again

as for workouts I walk, do the elliptical, I do some kickboxing and 30Day Shred....there are workouts you can find on youtube to target any specific areas you want.....I started at youtube to get some ideas
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

June 4th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Today I'm doing better as far as calories go. I have less than 700 left and still need to eat lunch and dinner

What do you mamas tend to eat? This morning I had eggs and bacon. should I add whole wheat toast to that to help? Before having Kynslee my doc suggested I do the South beach diet to help me loose weight (no main carbs or fruit). It actually worked for me and I was eating so little I didn't get 1200 in. But, now that isn't working for me so I guess I should eat more. Any suggestions on what to eat though? I'm not a big healthy eater so it's difficult for me to make good choices without having bad calories. Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate the input so far

June 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I burn about 180 calories from working out, but that's a short workout (all I have time for right now). I use myfitnesspal to determine my maintenance calories, then add in extra calories for breastfeeding 300 - 500, based in my hunger level, and I also eat extra if I exercise. I'm not trying to be aggressive about weight loss right now though...more concerned with fitness and getting/staying in shape.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 6th, 2013, 01:06 PM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What I burn calorie wise depends on what workout I do and how long it is. Most of mine though, burn about 300-400 calories. I do a lot of walks with Leslie and average about 100 calories per mile, but it all depends on how much I push myself (If I add extra arms or jog on the up and backs). MFP can be pretty inaccurate on calories burnt at times. I finally just bought myself a heart rate monitor so that I had the comfort of knowing a more accurate calorie burn. Best exercise investment I think I ever made! I would definitely aim for getting at least 1200 calories in every day. I think that was why I plateaued lately. After looking closely at my entries on MFP, I noticed I was only netting about 900 calories! I feel so much better now that I am making sure I am netting 1200 or more!

Quote:
Today I'm doing better as far as calories go. I have less than 700 left and still need to eat lunch and dinner

What do you mamas tend to eat? This morning I had eggs and bacon. should I add whole wheat toast to that to help? Before having Kynslee my doc suggested I do the South beach diet to help me loose weight (no main carbs or fruit). It actually worked for me and I was eating so little I didn't get 1200 in. But, now that isn't working for me so I guess I should eat more. Any suggestions on what to eat though? I'm not a big healthy eater so it's difficult for me to make good choices without having bad calories. Sorry for so many questions, but I really appreciate the input so far
For breakfast I will either have 2 slices of toast with peanut butter and honey or maybe an egg with chopped ham and mushrooms. I try to keep breakfast around 200 cals. Lunch and Supper I try to keep to 400-500 cals. The remaining calories are snacks and drinks.

If you want to friend me on MFP, I'm DanceGirl0309 over there. My diary is open to my friends.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search