Tips for getting more consistent with your workouts

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By melissalaw

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2013, 06:47 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I'd really love to hear from some of the gals who have been working out consistently for a while. I can't seem to stick with the program lately. I'd love to hear anything that helps you stay on track.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 14th, 2013, 08:25 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The thing that helps me most to keep on track is to get my butt out of bed and do my workout first thing in the morning before anything can come up and prevent me from working out.

I will also plan out a rotation at the beginning of every month that I try to stick to. Although some mornings I'm just not in the mood to do the workout that I have planned so I will just do something that I enjoy for that day.

I think the most important thing to do is to try to do workouts you love. for me I have a dread factor about some of my workouts and on those days I just won't get out of bed so I try to only do workouts that have no dread factor for me.
jhmomofmany likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 14th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
The only things I've stuck with are the 30 day shred (on the 4th try) and Couch to 5K so very very short term things....maybe breaking your 12 weeks into three 4-week chunks could help?

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
June 14th, 2013, 11:45 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
ITA with Melissa about the dread factor and that would be my first tip- find activities/workouts that you enjoy. or at least tolerate.

Unlike Melissa, however, getting up and doing my workout first thing did NOT work well for me at all.. I kept that up only about two weeks. For me, working out later in the morning or in the early afternoon works best. So experiment with what time of day works best for your schedule and energy levels.

Most days I look forward to my workouts, but not always. On days I don't want to do anything I make a deal with myself to do 10 minutes. And then after ten minutes, if I want to quit, I can. I tell you honestly- every single time I have gone on to do a full workout. I think a lot of the time, just getting started is the hardest part.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 14th, 2013, 11:54 AM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The things that helped me during my longest consistent stretch:

Have a set time, and when that time comes, put on my shoes and work out. So many times I'd want to let myself sit down and watch one episode of something or check JM or whatever, but if I did, I'd often talk myself out of working out. Not allowing myself time to think about it helped me.

Variety. I get very burned out by the same thing over and over. I'm much less likely to work out if I'm bored by whatever it is. Keeping it fresh and interesting really helped me.

Convenience. It had to be something I could easily fit in my schedule (at this time, that means something I can do at home, without a lot of set up or preparation). While I'd really like to swim or do group classes, I couldn't be consistent with it right now).

Flexibility. One thing that helped me on those days when I just really wasn't feeling it was saying to myself, ok, you don't have to do that workout for 60 minutes, but do SOMETHING for at least 20. That at least got me up and moving, because surely I could do something for 20 min, right? And often I'd keep going. But giving myself the flexibility to deviate from whatever plan I had (say, 60 min of strength training) was helpful, because I feel like otherwise I might have been inclined to just do nothing sometimes.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 15th, 2013, 08:46 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
The one tip that I've read that has helped me is that you need to make it an appointment. Most days I even write it on my planner, I find that if it's on my plan/to do list I'm more likely to actually make time for it.
June 16th, 2013, 06:51 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
When I'm good at keeping up with my runs, it's when I've scheduled it, and when I have a goal in mind that will hold me accountable, like half/marathon race registration. I know that's different for workouts outside of races. Meeting short-term goals helped keep me motivated to keep going for long term goals. I think I'm going to start trying to see my running as an important part of my day, like brushing teeth/shower, etc, just to see if that helps me MAKE time.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search