Counting Calories vs. Points

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 1 Post By PinkHurricane

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2013, 06:38 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Obviously this won't be a priority of mine for a few more weeks, but it's something I've been thinking about. I've lost all that I gained this pregnancy, and I'm about 20 pounds away from my goal weight.

I've logged with MFP, but never very consistently. DH has been using WW and had a lot of success. So when I go back to logging meals, I'm debating whether I want to log using MFP or use the ww points.

Anybody here have experience with both? Which was easier or more effective?

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 16th, 2013, 12:05 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I have only ever logged my calories, and as long as I was consistent I've had great results from it. I've never tried WW though, and I know a lot of people have success with it too. I hope someone can help you compare!
June 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've done both. For me, MFP/tracking calories is better. Here's the background:

I started WW online years ago (points system), and lost 20 lbs. Was happy with it. I thought that the idea of tracking online was great, and the fact that I was paying was motivation to stick with it. However, over time, I found it to be somewhat cumbersome to add foods that weren't in the database, among other things. Then I got pregnant and stopped using it altogether. Once I was ready to get back to losing weight, I tried WW again and just couldn't get into it. I had a hard time actually getting on a computer to log points, and at the time there was no android app (there may be now). Also, I was tired of paying for it...I wanted something free and with a robust android app. That's when I found MFP. I lost 40 something pounds with MFP, and have used it for nearly 2 years, even during my second pregnancy. Love the app...really like the barcode scanner & large food database, and ease of use.

In addition to tracking calories, I enjoy being able to track other nutrients, such as fiber, protein & calcium. EatIng enough proteIn, fat & fiber really helps curb my hunger and helps me stay on track. Much easier with MFP than with WW/points.

That was long, but I found tracking calories to be better for me, because it was easier, cheaper and more convenient, and therefore more likely for me to stick to it.
jhmomofmany likes this.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

June 16th, 2013, 01:54 PM
PinkHurricane's Avatar Super Mommy
I've done both and find MFP to be easier for me to use because I have always wanted to know exactly how many nutrients, calories, fat, sugar, fiber, sodium, etc that I take in everyday instead of just hitting my points number or only tracking just calories. I have been using MFP for about 6 months and I love it!
jhmomofmany likes this.
June 16th, 2013, 02:16 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I always wanted to do WW, but was never willing to pay the money. But I'm having better luck with MFP than anything I've tried before.

June 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I've only ever used MFP. I'm cheap though and if something similar is out there and I don't have to pay, I'm all for it. But as you said said, sometimes you lack motivation...it might be time to switch it up

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
June 17th, 2013, 08:12 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never really tracked calories so I don't have alot of experience with that. But I love WW. For me I always just had a hard time choosing the right foods to eat and with weight watchers I really think about something before I eat it if it's a treat. I have not found keeping point hard at all. I eat alot of the same things so I have been able to save alot of what I eat as favorites and it makes it so easy tracking. I also love that fruits and veggies are 0 points. It has made me eat more fruits and veggies. I lost all my baby weight plus about 6 more lbs and I'm smaller than I have ever been.

You should try both and see what works best for you.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 17th, 2013, 08:23 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
I've never done anything but keep track of calories so I don't know. I don't even count calories very well. I am glad the other gals had some advice for you because I just don't know enough about how weight watchers points work.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 17th, 2013, 08:50 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've only counted calories on MFP, so not much help here.

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

June 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Well, thanks, gave me some good things to think about. I think I'm leaning more toward trying WW to see how it goes.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can't hurt to try! You'll never know until you do. And it would be nice to be on the same plan as your DH.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search