P90/Insanity/etc and their astonishing results

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 20th, 2013, 08:51 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
You know how some of these workout videos and programs show you these astonishing transformations, do you ever feel like they mislead people or lie to people? Do you think people get the kind of results you see on TV, etc?

When I did Body for Life for 12 weeks I looked at their transformation pictures constantly for inspiration. I tell dh all the time they lied to me! LOL. Don't get me wrong I saw a noticeable improvement but some of these people on their website's before and after pictures had ASTONISHING results and I'm beginning to wonder if they really did it in 12 weeks or if maybe they just made themselves look worse in their before pics than they actually were. I know that I've been at this a while now and I still don't look like any of their after pictures. I think that what they show us on TV/etc are just not the typical results. But, I don't know if maybe I'm just too skeptical/cynical.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
June 20th, 2013, 09:05 AM
babyloves2dance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also believe that they show the non-typical results in there ads. I'm thinking that one ad I saw actually had in really really small print on one of there screens a disclaimer stating that "not everyone will see these results".

Missing our angel since February 17, 2009

Come join us!! Click on the blinkies below to follow me there!

June 20th, 2013, 09:10 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
they will say right in the advertising "results not typical". I suspect in some cases the results show the difference after more than one "round" of whatever product it is... so after maybe 24 or 36 weeks of Body for Life, not just 12. I have done p90x and was satisfied with my progress, but I certainly didn't end up looking like a fitness model! But, then again, I didn't follow their meal plan or use their supplements. So I guess I wasn't following the program to a T.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmomofmany View Post
they will say right in the advertising "results not typical". I suspect in some cases the results show the difference after more than one "round" of whatever product it is... so after maybe 24 or 36 weeks of Body for Life, not just 12. I have done p90x and was satisfied with my progress, but I certainly didn't end up looking like a fitness model! But, then again, I didn't follow their meal plan or use their supplements. So I guess I wasn't following the program to a T.
That's kind of what I think, that it's round 2 of the program. And, I didn't read Body for Life's book so I know I wasn't following everything exactly right. I wonder if it would have made a difference.

June 20th, 2013, 10:11 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do not think those results are typical. I have Insanity and have done the program twice and I definitely don't look like some of the people in the infomercials. I think the biggest part that gets them those bodies is all in their diet. Insanity came with a diet to follow with the program but the diet was to basically eat almost nothing and I just couldn't do that.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 20th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissalaw View Post
I do not think those results are typical. I have Insanity and have done the program twice and I definitely don't look like some of the people in the infomercials. I think the biggest part that gets them those bodies is all in their diet. Insanity came with a diet to follow with the program but the diet was to basically eat almost nothing and I just couldn't do that.
Interesting. I saw another program and I can't remember the lady's name but her diet was absurd. She had people drinking these weird shakes that I could not drink and I am not a picky eater but they just sounded disgusting. I am not interested in being on a super restrictive diet.

June 20th, 2013, 11:06 AM
PinkHurricane's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree, most of those people have restrictive diets and supps along with doing the program probably more than once. I lost a great deal of weight with P90X in 2010 but my results werenot typical. However my shape and strength were amazing! My husband and I just started Insanity, I hope to lose some weight and inches mostly, along with toning overall!
June 20th, 2013, 11:17 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
no I think they "fib" a little...and use photoshop too...I would rather google the results from said programs and find REAL pictures of real people who did them then you can see accurate results.....
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

June 20th, 2013, 11:22 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post
Interesting. I saw another program and I can't remember the lady's name but her diet was absurd. She had people drinking these weird shakes that I could not drink and I am not a picky eater but they just sounded disgusting. I am not interested in being on a super restrictive diet.
I agree. I want to be healthy and eat healthy but no way can I starve myself. Nor could I eat the same thing at every meal.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
June 20th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Kiliki* View Post
no I think they "fib" a little...and use photoshop too...I would rather google the results from said programs and find REAL pictures of real people who did them then you can see accurate results.....
I like to look at real people's blogs too because they seem more realistic. You can tell a difference but it's not like they go from being flabby to hot fitness model.

June 20th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I agree about photoshop for ads.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
June 20th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I noticed on some of the BFL I did it in the past and sucked at it.. my dad did great tho) that they were on their 2nd or 3rd time doing the 12 week challenge and they used their beginning pictures. I don;t think thats fair!

My dad did BFL and had awesome results BUT he's male and can lift some major weight. BFL isn't that great for women and the women's BFL was a joke- totally not trying to offend!!
So i think some out of shape naturally strong men CAN get those results. Everyone else? No! LOL!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

June 21st, 2013, 07:21 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
yeah there is no way I can follow a strict diet.....like with the 30DS all I do is the workout itself...I do not follow any specific diet....I like food way too much for that!! LOL and I feel I am doing pretty darn good with how I am working out...I already love all the healthy foods like fruits and veggies and lean meat...so its not like its a stretch for me to eat a bit healthier and I cook most of our meals here at home we out very little....I make most of our stuff from scratch...so its not like its unhealthy food we eat.....but those shakes and low carb diets? no thank you!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

June 21st, 2013, 09:05 AM
This kind of makes me wonder what results I might get if I followed the eating plans suggested with any of these programs. But, I have several friends that work out regularly and they eat whatever they want. So I just don't really think it's necessary. I think I eat a decent diet so I'm just not going to worry with it.

June 21st, 2013, 07:15 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I think it's the factors everyone else has already mentioned, I also think they take the absolute best candidates for the ads, and some people obviously will lose/build muscle faster than most, so it's definitely not typical.
June 21st, 2013, 11:03 PM
CassCramer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CassCramer Send a message via Yahoo to CassCramer Send a message via Skype™ to CassCramer
Diet makes a big difference. The people who can "eat anything and lose weight" are usually blessed with a "non-typical" metabolism. The key is eating balanced and not letting your body starve (aka, more meals and smaller meals). I have done a few of the beachbody workouts and they can produce amazing results if you really commit to them, not JUST the workout itself but eating right as well. Also if you have any significant stress, that can prevent good results also. I'm getting back into Les Mills and P90X, first real working out since baby #2. I know if I commit to it, including eating well, it's going to make a huge difference.

July 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Karen P.'s Avatar Veteran
As far as the ones for P90X, Insanity and those likes they are not allowed to photoshop them. They are very strict on their submission forms when you send in your results. I have met a lot of people (in person) from the ads on TV and they got those results. Not all of them were just 1 round though... and in some of the ads you will see it post 180 days, etc. The KEY is the nutrition. If you don't follow the nutrition guide you aren't going to get the drastic results... I have tried lol. I have done 2 rounds of P90X and multiple other at home programs and noticed a HUGE difference when I didn't follow the guide vs when I did.

The nutrition guides are good too. It isn't some crazy calorie restrictive diet. It is just clean food

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search