Carbs/protein/fat?

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 11:15 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Do you have a plan for how many carbs, protein, and fat you eat? Do you try to eat a certain percentage of carbs, protein, and fat or do you strictly count calories?

I try to eat 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat but I am not religious with this. I just eyeball it when I make my meals. I think I struggle the most with protein. But, I eat protein bars, trail mix, and yogurt to try to get extra. I may eat too much fat but I don't think I have problems with that except at dinner. I need to work on that still.

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
July 10th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I count carbs more closely than anything else. I aim to keep them around 20g net a day. Calories I still try to keep in the 1200-1500 range My macro percentages I try and keep in around: 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein but I'm not super worried with them being exact as long as I stay around my carb totally and don't go too crazy with protein.

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

July 10th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aenyx View Post
I count carbs more closely than anything else. I aim to keep them around 20g net a day. Calories I still try to keep in the 1200-1500 range My macro percentages I try and keep in around: 5% carbs, 65% fat, 30% protein but I'm not super worried with them being exact as long as I stay around my carb totally and don't go too crazy with protein.
Can I ask for the rationale for your diet plan? I'm just curious. Why so little carbs and so high in fat? I really am just curious. I don't know how you eat so low carb. What kinds of things do you eat? I hope you don't mind the questions.

July 10th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyandthemoos View Post

Can I ask for the rationale for your diet plan? I'm just curious. Why so little carbs and so high in fat? I really am just curious. I don't know how you eat so low carb. What kinds of things do you eat? I hope you don't mind the questions.
I'm on my phone while walking so I might have to wait to explain more thoroughly with links if you want when I get home but I'll do my best for now

First I will say I used to be a carbaholic, but I've also got an insulin resistance with a family history of basically everyone having diabetes, so I know I really need to avoid them. The first couple weeks do suck, it's like quitting a drug.
The point of eating so few carbs is that when you're body doesn't have glucose from food to run on, you enter something called ketosis where your body begins to burn fat (dietary and stored) for fuel and produces something called ketones. The brain is the only part of our bodies that need glucose but it's a very small amount and can be obtained from the bit of carbs I eat and/or the body can produce glucose using protein. Also no carbs prevents an insulin response which cause the body to store fat. You eat enough protein based on your own muscle mass and activity level (something like .8g per lb of muscle mass I think, can't remember of the top of my head) and the high level of fat (preferably from sources like coconut oil and animal fats) is to keep you feeling sated. You still have to eat a deficit in calories but the fat keeps you full much longer and its much easier to not overeat.

I eat all sorts of meat, including the fattier cuts, cheese, cream and butter, and lots of low carb veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and brussel sprouts. I actually eat more veggies now than I ever have.
The fiber carbs don't count toward my daily 20.

I don't mind questions at all as long as nobody gets at "omg that fad diet is going to kill you" on me (yes that has happen. Not here but other places, which is why I never get to detailed into it anywhere unless asked)

July 10th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Quote:
I'm on my phone while walking so I might have to wait to explain more thoroughly with links if you want when I get home but I'll do my best for now

First I will say I used to be a carbaholic, but I've also got an insulin resistance with a family history of basically everyone having diabetes, so I know I really need to avoid them. The first couple weeks do suck, it's like quitting a drug.
The point of eating so few carbs is that when you're body doesn't have glucose from food to run on, you enter something called ketosis where your body begins to burn fat (dietary and stored) for fuel and produces something called ketones. The brain is the only part of our bodies that need glucose but it's a very small amount and can be obtained from the bit of carbs I eat and/or the body can produce glucose using protein. Also no carbs prevents an insulin response which cause the body to store fat. You eat enough protein based on your own muscle mass and activity level (something like .8g per lb of muscle mass I think, can't remember of the top of my head) and the high level of fat (preferably from sources like coconut oil and animal fats) is to keep you feeling sated. You still have to eat a deficit in calories but the fat keeps you full much longer and its much easier to not overeat.

I eat all sorts of meat, including the fattier cuts, cheese, cream and butter, and lots of low carb veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and brussel sprouts. I actually eat more veggies now than I ever have.
The fiber carbs don't count toward my daily 20.

I don't mind questions at all as long as nobody gets at "omg that fad diet is going to kill you" on me (yes that has happen. Not here but other places, which is why I never get to detailed into it anywhere unless asked)
That makes perfect sense. I have two nephews with Type 1 Diabetes so I know a little about ketosis and ketones. I just haven't seen anyone eat such a low carb diet before, not long term anyway. I totally get what you posted and would never criticize your meal plan. I was just curious and I know different things work for different reasons and people have to pick what works best for their needs. I remember when I was a vegetarian people would give me a hard time about my diet so I can relate with people and their lectures, etc.

July 10th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That makes perfect sense. I have two nephews with Type 1 Diabetes so I know a little about ketosis and ketones. I just haven't seen anyone eat such a low carb diet before, not long term anyway. I totally get what you posted and would never criticize your meal plan. I was just curious and I know different things work for different reasons and people have to pick what works best for their needs. I remember when I was a vegetarian people would give me a hard time about my diet so I can relate with people and their lectures, etc.
Most people have never heard of ketosis, or if they have they assume its thr same as ketoacidosis which is completely different. Since my produces insulin I don't have to worry about it. there's actually several forums of people who have been on "keto" for years, including a lot of body builders . It's also used to treat things like epilepsy which I thought was neat.
I like telling people about it when they're interested to know. People can be so judgy sometimes though. I try not to be that way. Human bodies are insanely different and complex and different things work for different bodies.

July 10th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Most people have never heard of ketosis, or if they have they assume its thr same as ketoacidosis which is completely different. Since my produces insulin I don't have to worry about it. there's actually several forums of people who have been on "keto" for years, including a lot of body builders . It's also used to treat things like epilepsy which I thought was neat.
I like telling people about it when they're interested to know. People can be so judgy sometimes though. I try not to be that way. Human bodies are insanely different and complex and different things work for different bodies.
Is this the ketogenic diet? I think that's what it's called. My daughter has epilepsy and I remember reading about it but didn't quite understand how it would help her. She just had a seizure a couple days ago that scared the crap out of us.

July 10th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Is this the ketogenic diet? I think that's what it's called. My daughter has epilepsy and I remember reading about it but didn't quite understand how it would help her. She just had a seizure a couple days ago that scared the crap out of us.
Yep that's what it is. I'm not sure how exactly it works, I'm pretty sure doctors aren't 100% sure either from what I have read about it for treatment of epilepsy. Something about the ketones alters brain chemistry or something. I know it's a bit more strict usually for treating epilepsy.
Seizures are scary! Hope she's doing ok now!

July 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't get too hung up on it. I definitely don't do a low fat diet. Really, I try to focus on eating enough protein and fiber, while eating the right amount of calories. I don't pay much attention to carbs, other than trying not to eat only carbs alone for a snack.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

July 10th, 2013, 03:44 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I really only focus on trying to get enough protein based on the macros set by MFP. I'm rarely significantly over on the others so I'm not too fussed

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 10th, 2013, 07:33 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I don't watch exact numbers on those things anymore, it's kind of become a "second nature" thing so I'm not too concerned as long as I'm eating a balanced diet
July 11th, 2013, 12:01 PM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
No the only thing I pay attention to is calories...I think if I tried to count more than calories I would drive myself nuts...I love food, and I love carbs (no history of diabetes in my family cept those due to obesity...which I do not ever plan on being obese)
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

July 11th, 2013, 01:18 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
For right now I pay attention to what my macros are without trying to stay within a certain range. I just ordered the body fat analyzer, so when that arrives I'll be able to better figure exactly what my needs are. I'll probably start with a plan of 40% carb and 30% each protein and fat, and see how that does for me... then will adjust as needed.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search