Can someone talk calories to me? *edited with a question on post #12

Forum: Mommy Weightloss and Fitness

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommy Weightloss and Fitness LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I have always done WW but I am now being successful at tracking calories so I am trying that.
How do I find out how many calories a day I need? I found links but any recommendations?
What about when I exercise? What is the lowest I should be going? I don't want to starve myself but I only know points. I know you don't have to eat your exercise points on WW but you have to hit your minimum daily points.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

Last edited by Lucy S.; August 1st, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
July 30th, 2013, 06:16 PM
meld10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I learned about tracking calories, including how much I need and the impact of exercising on my calorie need thanks to sparkpeople.com . I used their free trackers for a couple of months and it really helped me. The only thing was that their tracker does not count calories burnt during weight training therefore I would try to find a substitute in the cardio exercises (like circuit training or other).

Team Blue!

6/12/2013- 8 weeks
July 30th, 2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I use a calculator from my low carb forums that calculates my macros for me too. But you can use pretty much anywhere that calculates your BMR (basically how many calories you burn just being alive for a day) and go from there. Another good place to start might be My fitness pal as it will calculate your stuff your you (though I have mine all customized based on different calculators because of low carb) I'll use my basic numbers as an example though.
My BMR is around 1600, That's about how many I burn just living and breathing for a day like if I literally just laid around all day. What you need to calculate is your TDEE which is your total daily expenditures based on what you do in a day. If I put in sedentary which is sitting most the day with not a lot of activity (like a desk job) that brings me to 1900. To lose 2lbs a week theoretically I need to consume 1000 calories a day less than I burn. The lowest you should go calorie intake wise is probably in the 1000-1200 net calorie range or your body is going into starvation mode. (I acutally had an issue with the recently where I wasn't losing and realized it was likely because for my activity level I wasn't eating enough and creating too big of a deficit and ending up with a net well below 1000). Net calories would be what you take in in food minus your calories burned.
So TDEE is 1900, if I eat 1900 calories I will maintain weight, not lose or gain. If I ate 1400 calories I would create a 500 calorie deficit for the day and if I did that every day I should equal a lb in a week. (I don't believe weight loss is 100% calories in/calories out but it's the very basis of it at least and I still think calorie counting is important). So on a day I exercise, say I burn an extra 500 calories. That means for me that day I've burned 2400 calories total. If I ate 1400 that day and did the same every day that week I should lose 2lbs.
So I set my MFP up actually to aim for 1300 on a sedentary no exercise day. That still gives me a 600 deficit for the day. Then I'll add in my exercise and I eat some or all of those calories back making sure to not let myself dip below 1000-1200 net calories in a day to avoid my body thinking it's starving and want to hold onto everything. You don't HAVE to eat all your exercise calories back, some people do ok without them, but for me it doesn't work and I need to eat them or I dip too low on net calories for my body.
I hope that all made sense and I didn't confuse you farther. If I did, let me know and I'll try and explain w/e better.

The short version is: try myfitnesspal lol

Thanks to Bokkechick for my siggy.

July 30th, 2013, 09:42 PM
That is exactly what I wanted to hear!!
Amazing! Thanks!!!!!
Due with #3
My blog

July 31st, 2013, 03:49 AM
MidgeMadge's Avatar Queen Turd. Bow down.
^ what she said! I can't add anything, she said it perfectly.
I'm also a calorie counter. It's the ONLY thing that's worked for me.

July 31st, 2013, 05:03 AM
Urchin's Avatar Loving every minute.
Also, do you have a smart phone? Apps like Lose It! and MyFittnessPal are great for keeping track of exercise and calorie intake!

July 31st, 2013, 05:37 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
She said it perfectly! Myfitnesspal is a great resource, and very convenient if you have a smart phone!
July 31st, 2013, 05:58 AM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I'll echo myfitnesspal (MFP) as well. In addition to everything April said, MFP has an extensive food database...so it is SUPER easy to type in what you ate, and chances are someone else has already entered it. You can also create your own recipes for homemade meals. And its super easy. They just changed their layout yesterday but it is very easy to use. And has apps for every phone so you can do it on the go, or check something out before ordering it at a restaurant, etc.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
July 31st, 2013, 06:10 AM
*Kiliki*'s Avatar i have absolute power
I too use MFP.....I have based my calories on what works for ME....I have tried out a few different things 1200 and then 1400 and 1200 did NOT work for me...but 1400 does

*Kristy wife to Karl, mom to Raianna(13) Elyse(11) and Helena(6) stepmom to Frankie(16)*
click me!---> Come Join us at Stay At Home Mommies!!! <---click me!
click me!---> Come Join us at Mommy Weightloss and Fitness!!! <---click me!
Request Siggy Here SEE GALLERY HERE Request Banner Siggy Here

July 31st, 2013, 02:06 PM
This is all so new to me! But working really well! I think I will plateau soon because I wasn't eating enough (1000cal) and lost my water weight from the surgery and then some in the last week (9 pounds ) so i thought I better figure it out before my body freaks out.
Thank you ladies!!!
Due with #3
My blog

August 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
This is what I used, which is similar to what April posted.
BMR Calculator
This will calculate your bmr
And this will tell you how many calories you need based on your bmr.
http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
August 1st, 2013, 02:28 PM
Question and I am sure it is answered in the above but I am trying to get my head straight...
So today I did a long hike and took my HRM. It was a 2 hour hike and burned 965 calories. So the rates were a bit different depending on my activity and such but I think for 2 pounds a wk loss I should aim for 1200cal and I shouldn't dip below that it said. So how many calories should I eat today?
Due with #3
My blog

August 1st, 2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
Question and I am sure it is answered in the above but I am trying to get my head straight...
So today I did a long hike and took my HRM. It was a 2 hour hike and burned 965 calories. So the rates were a bit different depending on my activity and such but I think for 2 pounds a wk loss I should aim for 1200cal and I shouldn't dip below that it said. So how many calories should I eat today?
If for a normal day a 1000 deficit puts you at 1200, I'd eat back most of those 900 so that your net calories end up in the 1000-1200 range.

August 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
I am having a hard time with the BMR when it comes to activity level and that's what keeps changing the total calories...
I don;t have an active job but I do exercise 5x a week normally about an hour a day. It's not unusal for me to throw in a hike a few times a month for a couple hours too.
So many I should aim for 1000 calories and I guess eat my exercise calories JIC?
I just feel like 1000cal is fine but when I workout (which is most days) it's not enough and I am wiped out.

Thank you for the help and advice!
Due with #3
My blog

August 1st, 2013, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I find it easiest to just base it on my deficit needs on a sedentary day, then eat my exercise calories back. That way the math is easier and if I don't work out I dont worry about going over.
Like on a day I dont work out, I eat my base 1300, on a day I do work out I just add however many calories I burned to the 1300 and eat than many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
I am having a hard time with the BMR when it comes to activity level and that's what keeps changing the total calories...
I don;t have an active job but I do exercise 5x a week normally about an hour a day. It's not unusal for me to throw in a hike a few times a month for a couple hours too.
So many I should aim for 1000 calories and I guess eat my exercise calories JIC?
I just feel like 1000cal is fine but when I workout (which is most days) it's not enough and I am wiped out.

Thank you for the help and advice!
Reread after I answered. We're saying the same thing I think lol. Set a minimum you always eat (like 1000) no matter what, if you work out, eat those extra calories.

August 1st, 2013, 07:05 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
I think you got it

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
August 1st, 2013, 09:12 PM
Yay ok! I feel better!
I used to eat my WW exercise pts but wasn't too sure about this.
Thanks so much!!
Due with #3
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search