I'm going to go broke!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So, I decided that I don't like anything I have for next year We have already started on most of it this year, and I'm just not happy with it. The Switched on Schoolhouse sucks and I'm not crazy about the Horizons math either. I really don't like the science curriculum either. Luckily, we can probably get most of the way through the math this year and the 4th grade SOS LA. We will also get most of the through the science too, so I guess it wasn't a total waste of money. I don't plan on using the SOS LA5 next year though, so that was a waste. And now I have to spend even more money for stuff to do next year. Thank God for the stimulus check we're getting I think I'm going to order the "Complete Book of..." series for all the subjects. No lesson plans, so that's a PITA for me. And they are all pretty cheap, although with all of them, I am already over $200 and there were a few more things I wanted to get. So, here's what I have so far

US History

Maps and Geography

American Facts and Games

Science

I also ordered the grade 4 for math, reading and spelling
Math

Reading

Spelling

“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.”~ Anton LaVey
April 7th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That sucks you can't find anything that you really like yet. I had the complete book of math 1-2 for Miguel but I didn't like that it was spiral. Hope you really like your new curriculum.

April 7th, 2008, 04:58 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry that SOS didn't work out. That's the deal with homeschooling though, trial and error. You might be able to sell some of your stuff if it's non consumable. I have never seen those books before, hope there great for you.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have never seen SOS, what does it look like inside? Can't find anything with examples online.

We have loved our complete book of Science books.

April 7th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What about SOS didn't you like? You're the first person I've heard that didn't like it. Sorry its all not working for you! I hope the books you picked out will work better!

April 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
I have never seen SOS, what does it look like inside? Can't find anything with examples online.

We have loved our complete book of Science books. [/b]

It's a CD-ROM so I've never been able to find any online examples either. But each lesson has an explanation they are to read, some have games to play and then with each lesson, there is a quiz.

Quote:
What about SOS didn't you like? You're the first person I've heard that didn't like it. Sorry its all not working for you! I hope the books you picked out will work better![/b]
I'm not sure why I don't like it For some reason I get highly annoyed with it. Some of the questions are just ridiculous and I am constantly having to go into the teachers program and change grades for answers because if they don't spell and write exactly like the program wants, it's marked wrong. I think it's mostly that we have to do things in a certain order and I don't like that. It's the schedule thing again, I like doing what I want when I want and I can't do that with this. It all has a certain order that can't be changed.

It's not that I hate it, because I plan to use it again once the girls get into high school level. Probably for most of their subjects. But right now, it's just not working

April 8th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
At least you can change what you're not happy with!

I hope you find what you're looking for.

April 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Ahhh, the trial and error of figuring out what to use.

You are in PA... are you going to CHAP in Harrisburg next month? It's one of the biggest homeschooling conventions in the country. We went a few years ago and it was both overwhelming and tons of fun lol There were things there that I have never heard of. Their list of vendors is quite impressive. I know some places like Tobin's Lab and ARTistic Pursuits only go to a select few conventions (the biggest ones) and those tend to be CHAP, the one in FL, and a couple others (I think TX has a huge one). I want to go to CHAP for no other reason than it's fun, but we really have no reason to go so I guess we won't lol

Here's the website for SOS (Switched on Schoolhouse). They at least used to have a demo CD you could get. I got it out of curiosity once because I liked the LIFEPacs by Alpha Omega when I was homeschooled, but I didn't love SOS. I don't like the kids being on the computer all that much either.

I hope your new stuff works well for you. And I second Jo's suggestion of selling anything you ended up not liking that is non-consumable. At least that would get you back some of your cost (and give you more to spend on more stuff lol).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 8th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I would love to go, but Harrisburg is a little far and my OB has already given strict orders that I am not to go anywhere in the 3rd trimester because of all the problems I have. Maybe next time though! Jamie's supposed to ask his friend to come over and help me with E bay. I think I'll sell the SOS. Everything else I've already started using, but at least I got some really nice Usborne books with the science curriculum I ordered. We can definitely keep using those!

April 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Do you know you can change a lot of the issue's your having with SOS? I made it so easy spelling is on and spelling only counts at like 1% etc..you can also change the order you do the lessons.. i change our up all the time.
April 8th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did change the spelling, but it still marks it wrong. I can't figure out how to change the order of things though

April 8th, 2008, 04:35 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Weird on the spelling part..mine gives partial credit..

go to teacher mode..highlight the subject you want to switch up and clic edit... that will allow you to change the order.
April 8th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Cool, thanks. I will have to give that a try.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search