This kid can't stop throwing curve balls

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He has to learn how to write sometime right. I printed out a cursive practice page. It's crazy that it's cheaper to buy a new printer then to get new ink. So while he was thinking what he wanted to do yesterday (which became a scavenger hunt for me and you guys did I mention I love you guys lately), I suggested to try it while thinking. This kid can not print for the life of him, but he is amazing at cursive. I was in aww. He says he likes print better but I just have to expose him to cursive more. He just got it after watching me once and he was still half asleep!

April 8th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
That's great! It always amazes me how somethings just CLICK!

April 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I took my 12 yo to our family doc for a well check yesterday. For some reason, he had her sign her name on her chart. He said she had a nice cursive signature and many kids he sees don't write cursive at all. He homeschools, also, but sees regular kids at work. It is a good skill to have, I guess.
April 8th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
For some kids cursive is actually far easier than printing. Some schools (generally private schools) skip printing and go right for cursive. Calvert School, for example, uses what they call Calvert Script which is a simplified version of traditional cursive starting at first grade both in their school in Baltimore and in their homeschool program. My mom never learned to print (private Catholic school), but instead started with cursive in first grade. She probably could print if she tried, but since she never learned how she always writes in cursive.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 8th, 2008, 10:48 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Glad he enjoyed his cursive sheet!

April 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's great. Actually in kindergarten I tried putting little curlies at the ends of all my letters and had a substitute tell me never to do anything like that again and I would be punished if she caught me doing it again. Needless to say I never did, which is so stupid because I was totally ready and would have loved being taught cursive instead of being chewed out for my creativity. So when we were homeschooled, my mom bought a large cursive poster and I taught myself how to write in cursive.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 8th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
That's great. Actually in kindergarten I tried putting little curlies at the ends of all my letters and had a substitute tell me never to do anything like that again and I would be punished if she caught me doing it again. Needless to say I never did, which is so stupid because I was totally ready and would have loved being taught cursive instead of being chewed out for my creativity. So when we were homeschooled, my mom bought a large cursive poster and I taught myself how to write in cursive.[/b]
And people wonder why we homeschool! I wonder how many creative, inspired people were crushed by the meat grinder.
April 9th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Quote:
That's great. Actually in kindergarten I tried putting little curlies at the ends of all my letters and had a substitute tell me never to do anything like that again and I would be punished if she caught me doing it again. Needless to say I never did, which is so stupid because I was totally ready and would have loved being taught cursive instead of being chewed out for my creativity. So when we were homeschooled, my mom bought a large cursive poster and I taught myself how to write in cursive.[/b]
And people wonder why we homeschool! I wonder how many creative, inspired people were crushed by the meat grinder.
[/b]
Me! I always did the curlies too and they would mark my papers with red ink! No wonder my cursive is atrocious now! I drew in the margins too while waiting for everyone else! tee hee!

April 9th, 2008, 05:29 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww. Sarah often does a curly on the end of her H which I think is realy cute, I can't imagine her being punished for it!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 9th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It always has bothered me that they grade you on handwriting. Well, when I was in school they did. I'm not really sure about it now. If a child writes legible and the formations are correct, I don't believe they should be graded on how "neat" the teacher feels it is. I never got an A in handwriting and I feel I have decent print and cursive. I guess my 2nd and 3rd grade teachers didn't feel like that.

You know I was talking with Doug day before yesterday that if we sent Eathan off to school this year how his spirit would be crushed and we wouldn't have the same fun and imaginitive child we do now.

April 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
In third grade I got straight As in everything... except handwriting. I got a C in that.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 9th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Platinum Supermommy
^ Wasn't that frustrating?? It just irks me! I remember not liking one of my teacher's handwriting and was like and she's grading mine??? I'll have to ask my aunt if her kids are still graded on handwriting.

April 10th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember being in remediation Due to handwriting.... I have better handwriting then DH

April 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was like Remy and loved to WRITE! Still do...

I love that my kids are able to be FREE and live the way a child was meant to live.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search