Easiest state laws and homeschooling?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hmmm...that's interesting. Looking at the subjects, hours per day, and monthly attendance records that have to be mailed in is a lot different than what we have to do in FL. I guess it's all in what you get used to. *shrugs* I don't think homeschooling anywhere would be difficult if the parents are willing.

April 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have looked into their laws. While it's more work than Michigan... (Michigan requires nothing right now), I really think I can live with what we have to do there. It didn't frighten me completely. We didn't just look at homeschooling laws for our choice. It came down with work for my husband and the fact that we love GA. And the move isn't going to be anytime soon. My husband is still helping BIL with his business... we can't really leave him in a tight place. We're aiming for moving in a year or two. We're really not happy here in Michigan.
April 9th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
When we moved from WA state, we specifically looked at HSing laws and income tax. But DH ruled Texas out because it gets so stinkin hot there. Plus TN is closer to his sister in South Carolina. But, if for some reason we had to move from here, I'd go to Texas in a heartbeat!

April 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the input! I really appreciate it. I looked at a bunch of the states and it is probably true Heather that often they just seem to be more complicated when you read the laws. Right now in Utah all we have to do is file and affidavit once a year when our kids turn 6. And that is it. When I was growing up we had to give a base curriculum and schedule of our year calendar and turn into the school what days we would and wouldn't be in school as well and we have wonderful people in office who helped change that. It was really a pain and most homeschoolers just gave an estimate anyway since we all love the freedom that homeschooling brings when some days are hard to do school.

Anyway, our economy is doing OK, but our housing is SO outrageous I keep feeling like we will never live anywhere half way decent. An average house costs about 250k here and that is not in good areas of the state either. That is in the crummy, crime ridden areas of the city. If you want the better areas, you have to be willing to spend 400k and that is darn near impossible. You can get OK prices in the outskirts of the state, but there are no jobs available either.

TX sounds awesome! I actually have been hearing great things about the real estate there too. And no income tax would be really nice as well. And I love my in-laws, but I have to admit it would be a plus to live away from family too. Thanks for the good tips. It was really helpful to hear that the states that sounded difficult are really not that hard.

Mommy to 6 year old Emily and 3 year old Lindsey!

April 9th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
here is the AZ site that will give you all the laws etc.
it is amazing how there is hardly anything you have to do in my state.
http://afhe.org/
April 9th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know the state of AZ well, my only issue is the heat. I don't know if I could take that on a constant basis. But I should look into it still.

April 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Quote:
Anyway, our economy is doing OK, but our housing is SO outrageous I keep feeling like we will never live anywhere half way decent. An average house costs about 250k here and that is not in good areas of the state either. That is in the crummy, crime ridden areas of the city. If you want the better areas, you have to be willing to spend 400k and that is darn near impossible. You can get OK prices in the outskirts of the state, but there are no jobs available either.[/b]
Oh, man. Those prices sound SO low lol You can't get a townhouse here for $250K. You can't even get a two bedroom condo for that! No house could be found for $400K. Average townhouses go for that much. Houses here run from $550K up to almost a million. I read yesterday that the average cost of living nationwide when looking at a certain grouping of items including housing and food and gas and clothing and such is around $61,000. Here in the DC area it's around $104,000! Job pay is much higher than the national average though.

We rent because it's about a thousand less a month that a mortgage and property taxes would be on the townhouse we live in.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
oh i live in the mountains of arizona, flagstaff. it is snowing today!
and gorgeous!
April 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It does get HOT in Texas, that's for sure! But it's a trade-off because we typically have very mild winters. Since I've lived here my whole life, I'm used to the heat. I think if I lived somewhere with really cold winters, I'd freeze to death! I hate to be cold!
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Heather, those are awful prices! And yeah if the average cost of living is 61k, then we are SO below that it isn't even funny. Just to afford the houses here we would need to more than triple our income. I don't see that happening for awhile. And 104k in VA, that is bad. Well, my DH just told me that he has another interview on Friday, this is for one of the 4 promotions he has just applied for. We are doing lots of family praying that our situation will improve even just a little. We don't know if this is where we are meant to stay, we want to keep our options open though. Perhaps I am also a little too quick to want to leave sometimes when I consider the family stress. But yeah, our condo prices are much better, which is what we are looking into here. A 3 bedroom condo has a wide price range, but we have found some half way decent ones in not terrible areas for 150k, however the HOAs are high. Anyway, we just need to know where we are going to live in September and I am getting stressed all the time with the prospect of not only moving, but finding where to move to.

Oh, and yes I would be the opposite with the heat. I have lived in a cold state for too long, too much heat would be hard on me, plus I am allergic to the sun- though if I wear sunscreen I am fine. I don't know, I love being outside all the time and if it were too hot to go out it would be hard. Course, here we get 100 degree weather in the middle of summer AND the freezing cold winters. Best of both worlds I guess. lol

April 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we have the perfect climate, i think. 4 seasons but not extreme temps.
we never go over 90 and never below 0. it is awesome. we get snow, but not a ton.
i love it.
and i lived at the beach for 30 years before this!

good luck in your search and decision!
April 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well we haven't gotten to school age yet but my understanding about IL law is that you have to hold 180 days.... of any length.... don't have to record anything about them, just say that you had 180 days of "school" .... so its a really easy unrestricted state.

We bought a 3 bedroom 2 bath (although one bathroom needs to be remodelled still) for 50,000 down state....
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search