ARTistic Pursuits

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We did the first lesson in the first K-3 book today. Looking through the book I thought it would be good, but now I know it is. The kids LOVED the lesson and then the drawing they were able to do. They were so excited that they got to use "real" art supplies (ebony pencils and drawing pads). I totally recommend these books. The books are non-consumable (and expensive - $42.95 each, but I guess since I'll use them later with the little boys that's okay). I didn't get their art set. I went to Michaels and found everything myself (oh, man, was I in over my head in the art supply section lol). I needed doubles of certain things so their kit wasn't suitable for our needs. The pre-k book is new and on sale currently ($28.95) so I ordered it for Fritz to use later. It is more a guide for parents with ideas for little ones. It looks great, too. http://www.artisticpursuits.com There are 3 K-3 books, 3 4-6 books, 2 Jr. High books, and 2 Sr. High books. I read yesterday that a family used them and their daughter is now in art school and many of her classes are reviewing what she learned in ARTistic Pursuits!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 9th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was thinking that looked like a good program. Something to consider for next year. Glad you're having fun with it!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 9th, 2008, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a great program. My husband dabbled with drawing and such and never really took off with it. Eathan has those artsy tendencies. I will definitely have to look into that.

April 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I went to art school in high school and this looks GREAT! Just the basics in a way kids can understand! I'm bookmarking this for later!

BTW Heather, what was that other art program you were using a while back? Did you like that? Why did you switch to this?

April 9th, 2008, 01:59 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That looks very, very interesting. Another thing to add to my wish list!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 9th, 2008, 04:30 PM
We were using Art Adventures at Home. It was good at first, but it got so tedious and boring. It was the same sort of stuff over and over and so not relevant to real art. Like several lessons in a row of having them draw lines. Wooo, exciting. They both eventually just started refusing to do the assignments and I didn't blame them. I know that eventually those lines would lead to being able to draw, but try telling kids that. They want to DO art right away. I think that's one thing that thrilled them so much with ARTistic Pursuits. First lesson and they were drawing a real picture.

Smaller on the Outside

April 9th, 2008, 04:42 PM
ilovemy3wikids
wow that looks really good! I just showed it to DH and he likes it too, looks like we'll be saving up for it and he said we can order the art kit too.....now if I'm looking at the just starting this I'd order book 1 and art kit 1, am I right on that?
April 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Yup.

Smaller on the Outside

April 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
We were using Art Adventures at Home. It was good at first, but it got so tedious and boring. It was the same sort of stuff over and over and so not relevant to real art. Like several lessons in a row of having them draw lines. Wooo, exciting. They both eventually just started refusing to do the assignments and I didn't blame them. I know that eventually those lines would lead to being able to draw, but try telling kids that. They want to DO art right away. I think that's one thing that thrilled them so much with ARTistic Pursuits. First lesson and they were drawing a real picture.[/b]

That's good to know- yeah ds would want to do art right away too. Thanks for the info!

April 10th, 2008, 09:34 AM
ilovemy3wikids
YAY!!! Dh surprised me with some money he made by selling some of his stuff and let me order book 1 We are waiting to order the art kit until I can look through it and make sure it's what we want , but we spent a fair time on the website looking at it and I'm very excited to have it coming Thanks so much for the link
April 12th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
I've ordered book one for Duncan, he is such an artistic child and I just know he is going to love this
April 12th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I went through the whole book again to make sure I have all the supplies we need for the activities on hand (we're much more likely to DO them if we have the stuff available where we do school) and again I was struck by what a nice curriculum it is. I guess it's a case of getting what you pay for. Art Adventures at Home was super cheap and not fun. This is relatively expensive (aside from supplies, if you end up getting all 11 books from Pre-K to Senior High it's over $450), but the activities are fun and my kids loved the first one and can't wait to do the next lesson. They get to use the watercolor crayons next lesson. I think the third or fourth introduces the oil pastels. Talk about jumping right into real art! My only complaint is that the books only have 32 lessons and our school year is 36 weeks. I guess you can't have it all lol

Smaller on the Outside

April 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Heather about how much were the supplies for the lessons? Would it be doable to buy stuff for 5 or 10 lessons verse's all a once?? I think when Eric gets his unused vacation pay from his "old" job I am going to purchse a few things and this book looks perfect!
April 12th, 2008, 06:37 PM
ilovemy3wikids
WOW that came fast I got it today. Now Ijust need to price out supplies
April 13th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I think we spent about $60 on everything we need for the first K-3 book including the doubles of several things I got. I went to Michaels to get stuff. We were also buying stuff for Fritz so I'm not sure which part was his and which was the big kids', but Fritz had more and we spent less than double that. You can buy for a few lessons at a time sort of. Supplies get repeated and after a few lessons you'll have everything anyway.

Smaller on the Outside

April 13th, 2008, 06:10 AM
ilovemy3wikids
I think when we get back I'll go to Michaels. We get a 40% off 1 item coupon every week so I'll use that on whatever costs the most
April 13th, 2008, 10:41 AM
We're back home from church now so I have time to write out what is needed for each lesson:
Lessons 1, 3, 13: ebony pencil, eraser, sketch pad
Lessons 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20: watercolor crayons, watercolor pad, paintbrush (also need black oil pastel for lesson 20)
Lessons 6, 25, 29: oil pastels, sketch pad (for lesson 29 you need a piece of cotton cloth and masking tape instead of the sketch pad)
Lessons 10, 22: soft pastels, heavyweight construction paper
Lessons 11, 12, 28, 30: heavyweight construction paper, scissors, pencil, glue stick (also need tissue paper for lesson 30)
Lessons 18: brown wrapping paper (could use paper bag cut open), black heavyweight construction paper (also need soft pastels for lesson 18)
Lessons 19, 23, 24, 26, 27: self-hardening clay (also need a disposable paper/styrofoam bowl, plastic knife - really any knife - it's for making decorative cuts in the clay for lesson 19 and rolling pin, aluminum foil, masking tape, and scratch tool like an unsharpened pencil for lesson 23 and black watercolor crayon for lesson 24 and plastic knife for lesson 26 and 27)
Lesson 21: roll of brown or white paper, string (also need oil pastels)
Lesson 31: paper, watercolor crayons or markers
Lesson 32: construction paper, scissors, binding materials (to make a book - like a stapler)

The ebony pencils were a couple dollars for 2. The sketch pads and watercolor pads were $2 each. Construction paper was pretty cheap. Really, the only expensive parts are the clay, watercolor crayons, oil pastels, and soft pastels.

Smaller on the Outside

April 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
Thanks Heather.I am going to print this. I was taking to DH about it and he REALLY wants me to buy it because of how artistic Jadziah is. So I am off to price it out and hopefully buy it thursday with his 2nd job check!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search