Contemplating Home Schooling

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Momma Jo's Avatar Monsters Ed
After speaking to Tami on another forum and getting more information about it, I'm seriously considering homeschooling my eldest. Duncan needs allot of one on one attention and stimulation, otherwise he becomes bored and unruly. Our public schools here have in excess of 40 children per class, so one on one attention is next to impossible. I'm doing allot of reading up and research on this right now.

Are there any websites you could recommend?

What made you decide to HS?
April 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome to the board!

It would be great to have another non American in here! Wow I thought our schools with 30 was bad! With 40 those kids can't be getting more then a couple of minuets each per day.

Quote:
Are there any websites you could recommend?[/b]
I think A To Z would be a good place for you to start. http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/...outhAfrica.htm

Quote:
What made you decide to HS?[/b]
A friend who was a teacher introduced me to the idea about 16 years ago, as it was what they were planning to do when they had there daughter. Then I met some other friends of there's that homeschooled, then we had neibghbours who moved in who homeschooled and someone else I knew started homeschooling. It was like it was being advertised all around me. So basically I liked what I saw and thought what a wonderful opportunity it was for both the children and the parents. I decided then to homeschool my kids when I had them. Everything I researched since then only strengthened my decision. My eldest is 6 now lol so I had that commitment a long time.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 10th, 2008, 07:33 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations! And since I know nothing about the laws in your country, I would suggest looking for older homeschooling parents in your local area and find a good mentor. If you are a pioneer and there is no one around who does this, then best wishes and keep posting here for encouragement.

We decided to homeschool before our first was ever born. It was just the next logical step from not sending her to daycare and then preschool. We started for reasons like we thought we could do it better than public schools (more or less true, I am sure my kids might be better in math if they went to school, maybe) but we continue because the relationships we all have one to another can't be bought in any store. We share so much time, success, failures, time, that our hearts are being knit together in ways that you do not see in most public school families.

Good luck and best wishes. Look forward to hearing from you.
April 10th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy

I'm clueless as to the laws and such, but I'd definitely start with the link Jo posted.

We made the decision to homeschool for various reasons. The school system is not terrible where we live, but I'm not pleased in the direction it is going. I don't believe in what they teach or how they teach it. Also, private school prices here are crazy and there's no way that we could afford it. We knew as soon as we had our children we intended to homeschool. It just felt right for us.

Good luck making the decision.

April 10th, 2008, 07:46 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hello and welcome!!!
We started homeschooling because we had absolutely no family time when ours were all in the public school. Also, we got tired of them sitting in school all day only to come home to 3 or more hours of work at home. I felt like I was teaching them through their homework anyway...I was. I also felt like the school was overlooking their strong points while dwelling on weaknesses. I could see confidence being stripped away.
Homeschooling has changed our lives...changed us. We are so much closer and happier because of it. I wish we had done it sooner!!!!!
I look forward to getting to know you.
April 10th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Welcome! I also have no idea about South African laws, but the link Jo gave you should help a lot. We homeschool our kids because I was homeschooled and loved it. I can't imagine sending my kids away for so many hours every day.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 10th, 2008, 09:08 AM
ilovemy3wikids
Hi Jolene!! Glad you made it over here!! The women here are wonderful and I'm sure you'll find this board to be very supportive and helpful

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search