another newbie question

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
since with homeschooling you dont have to spend all day at school and all night doing homework ---- I have a question.

What do your children do for the rest of the day? Do they get bored?

How much of the day do you schedule for them?

Forever in our hearts

April 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am in a stage right now where I don't schedule anything. We live in the country and have a horse. The girls are out there most of the day with him. He is training them on how to ride better. They are trying new things and teaching each other. They never get bored.

We are also babysitting 2 boys 4 days a week until May. So, the boys are out in the woods all day building stick houses, looking for treasure, chasing the goats, whatever.

I said in another post I am trying to grow out of being an unschooler, but it is working for us right now.

You will find so much to fill your time with that you care about instead of your life revolving around the public school calendar. You can work together on a family business, take art classes, volunteer, etc. One of the things that we enjoy most is really having the time to devote to building real relationships with each other and other families. Being there when someone needs us.

Good luck and have fun!
April 10th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
They play in the rec room, on the computer, outside. They read. They listen to me read. They listen to books on tape. They help cook. They watch TV. Etc., etc., etc. There's tons to do.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 10th, 2008, 08:50 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They read or I read to them, We do extra learning things that we want to do, we cook together, they play outside by a little source of water in the back, or they swim in the pool, they catch and play with wild creatures, we go to the library and they get books on nature, they paint, play wii or the ds, they play pretend alot!

This list could go on forever.

April 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My sons a sleeper... If you let him he'll sleep all day. He loves listening to music, reading, playing on his computer. We're in tons of activities.

April 11th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep, what they said. Kids will always find something to do.

April 11th, 2008, 06:15 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
They have a real childhood...defined by who they are, not 4 walls and a school system. I was worried a bit as Declan got older but he has found plenty to keep himself busy, especially when the weather is nice, i can not get them to NOT be busy now!
April 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
They have a real childhood...defined by who they are, not 4 walls and a school system. I was worried a bit as Declan got older but he has found plenty to keep himself busy, especially when the weather is nice, i can not get them to NOT be busy now![/b]
ITA! DS has learned to entertain himself for the most part. He goes outside, plays his computer, board games, his little leapster game thing, playdough, sidewalk chalk...etc. They love love love to read books!

April 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Same as everyone else. They play and keep each other entertained. We also have time to do things we wouldn't have time for if they were in public school, like going to the strawberry patch yesterday. My boys love to go to my sister's house and chase the goats & chickens. That's just about their favorite thing to do.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 11th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kids do seem to get bored sometimes in the winter when it's too cold to go outside for long periods of time. So I try to make sure we get out as much as possible- field trips, play dates, library, whatever. Otherwise, they occupy their time with reading, making crafts, playing board games (their favorite right now is a colonial times game called Made For Trade), lots of drawing- sometimes it seems like they could draw all day. They're not allowed computer or video games during the week and they don't watch TV until evenings so they have to be a little more creative during the day. Now that it's getting nice outside they will be out more. We have a fishing lake behind the house and woods and a big hill for climbing and exploring.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
April 11th, 2008, 03:23 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids play and keep each other entertained too. They also watch DVD's and my daughter likes drawing, craft and playing on her computer.
At the moment she has got into origami so we have about a million paper airoplanes around that house at the moment. I make sure they go outside at least twice per day but what they do all day is mostly up to them.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My concern is that my kids are 6 1/2 years apart 8 and 19 months - so they do little to keep each other entertained - the little one just gets into the older ones stuff. That along with the fact that it is really cold here in Ohio from Nov - Apr concerns me that he wont be more bored HERE than he is in school.

Forever in our hearts

April 11th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My oldest is 12 and my 5th is 3 1/2. They were having a blast running around together tonight calling each other Junior or Senior. I think one of the things to keep in mind here is that the relationship will be stronger between the two because they are home together. Give the older one some serious responsibility over the younger, teach him to be careful where he leaves his stuff, and find other homeschoolers to do stuff with. Also, train the younger to respect and submit to the authority of the older, train him not to get into the other's stuff, and take him along to all the places you go with your new homeschooling friends. You will see their affection grow towards each other while the public school kids continue to divide away from their younger/older sibs.

One other thing, remind your older one of how short a time the little one is little. He will only need help with his shoes, opening doors, diapering/pottying for a very short time and he should treasure the little one now.
April 12th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
My 8 year old and 6 1/2 year old are close in age, but then there's a nearly 5 year gap between Cameron and Fritz (21 months). Both of the big kids love to play with their little brother. It's amazing just how much they play together. I have friends with kids with large age gaps and their kids are in public school and they say their big and little kids just don't play together. I've seen on the playground public schooled kids refuse to play with a child not in their grade. They get so attached to the age-mate segregation I guess. It doesn't tend to be that way in home schooled kids (particularly since some of them have no clue what grade they are in anyway lol).

It is very possible your older child WILL be more bored for a while. That is normal. Give him some time and I'll bet he'll figure out how to play without needing to be entertained by his teacher and worksheets all day!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 25th, 2008, 05:39 PM
illinoismommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am excited about the free time!
Baby expected January 2nd, 2010!

"In the first place, whether you choose or no to take any trouble about the formation of his habits, it is habit, all the same, which will govern ninety-nine one-hundredths of the child's life. We are all mere creatures of habit. We think our accustomed thoughts, make our usual small talk, go through the trivial round, the common task, without any self-determining effort of will at all." -Charlotte Mason

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search