Anyone know much about BJU?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been looking at the Bob Jones Phonics & English 1 for Jared for next year. He's just not loving ETC anymore. He finds it very boring. It's like pulling teeth to get him through 1 page! Now I like what I've seen of the Bob Jones (and I'm using the 4th grade English for Jack next year), but I'm wondering how big of a difference there is between the 2nd edition and the current 3rd edition? I'm just wondering because I found a set of the 2nd edition with everything included for $20! I'm awaiting the seller's reply about the condition of everything. But I'm thinking if it's in very good condition and not a big difference between it and the 3rd edition, I may just jump on that deal rather than pay over $100 for the new 3rd edition. Does anyone know if there is a big difference between editions?

Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 12th, 2008, 07:53 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have looked at it, and some of Matt's family used it. But I would have to ask him what he thought. I have NO idea!

Are you looking at anything else aside from BJU?

April 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM
I've looked around at other things, and talked to my sister who has used just about everything out there , and so far I like BJU better than anything else I've looked at. Jared was looking at the BJU phonics & english book with me yesterday, and he really seemed to like it. I'm leaning more toward just biting the bullet and getting the 3rd edition new. I just don't feel great about using an older edition. I mean, they must have updated it for some reason, right?
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

April 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I can't say what might have been updated but it seems to me that third grade english is third grade english. I can't see how something major may have changed unless it was their approach to the subject. For 20$ you really can't go wrong given the price for new materials. That being said, I've always been one to like a brand spankin new book to use too!
So...I guess I've been no help whatsoever!

April 13th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I agree with Retro. I'm not sure how much third grade English would change. Often the new editions are revised sentences or even just new pictures. But I'd probably buy the new edition just because lol

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would so see how marked up or used the older one is. I know that when Abeka changes something it isn't a BIG HUGE change, just pictures, a sentence or two, like Heather said. That would be a deal if it was in pretty good condition.

April 13th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We used it for Science and Reading this year and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was the first year we used it and will be using it again!
April 14th, 2008, 08:52 AM
Well after talking to my sister, she said that Bob Jones doesn't update their books very often so it's usually best to just go ahead and get the newer versions because the previous ones are really old. The version I was looking at is the same one that my niece (who graduated last year) used for 1st grade. Plus the lady emailed me back and, though everything is in good condition, she said it's quite different from the newest version and I would probably have a hard time finding the workbooks that go with it. So, I guess I'll be getting the newest version. Oh, and it's for 1st grade (Jared), not 3rd. I already have Jack's 4th grade books.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

April 14th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope you like it! Let us know how it works out for you.

April 14th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh wow, that is old. Like several several editions ago.
Enjoy ordering and look out for that box man! Maybe you can get a picture of him, too!

April 14th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That's pretty old. Have fun stalking the box man!

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I don't think there will be a box man. I'll probably go to Mardel and get it so I can bring it home that day. Plus NO SHIPPING that way. Now I'm trying to decide how much of the set I really need. I'll probably just end up getting the TM, student workbook, & the readers. Normally, I wouldn't bother with the TM, but this one has the stories for the lessons in them. I think I might need that.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search