math u see

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2008, 08:58 AM
ilovemy3wikids
I know alot of you use math u see.....can you tell me more about the program, Haileys math takes over an hour right now, about how long do you spend on lessons each day?

Also we leave for Disney in 6 hours!!!
April 13th, 2008, 09:04 AM
JustAKrazymom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JustAKrazymom Send a message via MSN to JustAKrazymom
WOW an Hour?? dang I don't even spend that one our whole schooling with my 1st grader! His Math is between 5-10 minutes a day...we use MUS
April 13th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How'd you do that? MUS always took us forever.

I think math-u-see is very good for anyone that can stay siting and focus long enough to do at least one problem.

YAY.... Going to Disney... Have fun!

April 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
WOW an Hour?? dang I don't even spend that one our whole schooling with my 1st grader! His Math is between 5-10 minutes a day...we use MUS[/b]
Same here- our math takes like 15 minutes tops and we use A Beka for math.

April 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
I ned to clarify.. Our first day on a lesson is usually closer to 15 min, IF we need another day it's about 5-10. Righ now Declan usually only needs one day per lesson.. he loves math and is very good at it!
April 13th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We use Math-U-See and the length of time it takes depends. It takes Cameron no time at all. He only does one problem a day lol He's only in primer and is not quite ready for the mastery of Alpha. He wants to start doing two problems a day now.

For Ani, it depends on if she's in a dawdling mood or not. The first day of the lesson takes however long for her to watch the video and then do a page. She can do a page in 5-10 minutes if she doesn't look around the room for 10 minutes between each problem. All the other days of the lesson she does two pages a day. Again, those take 5-10 minutes each page unless she spend the time between each problem daydreaming. It takes me almost no time. All I do is put the DVD in and check her work.

Ani usually doesn't use any of the manipulatives. Cameron pretty much never does at this point, but likely will later. However long they want to play with those is fine with me. I rarely have input on the use of those. They do it on their own.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

April 13th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Yeah Declan never uses the manipulative's anymore.. sometimes when we work together he'll tell me "it would be 2 greens and one cream".. or something like that!
April 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
AHHHHHHH, you leave today!

We don't use MUS, but Remy takes 5-10 minutes and Eli takes 15-30 depending on his mood.

April 13th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now Jack is in Gamma (MUS). He averages about 5 minutes for 2 pages! He's usually done with both pages before I even know he started it.

Jared takes anywhere from 10-15 minutes for 2 pages. He's at the end of Primer (MUS).

Justin is at the beginning of Primer (MUS). He takes about 2-3 minutes for 2 pages.

For all of them, on the first day of a lesson we watch the DVD together and then they go do a couple of pages. Jack pretty much always works on his own and I just check his work. I "supervise" Jared & Justin. Justin hates using the blocks right now. For some reason they just stress him out. Jared loves the blocks and uses them even if he doesn't need them just because he thinks they're fun. Jack isn't using them right now. He hasn't needed them.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

April 13th, 2008, 01:46 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sarah is in Primer and takes about 15-20 minutes. At the moment she is doing 1 page. She is just on the first lot of addition so is using the blocks a lot and colours in the block pictures so it is taking her longer then before.

If you guys are using Saxon, it is well known for taking 1-2 hours. So 1 hour would be normal for that programe. I believe 10-20 minutes is the normal amount of time people give for MUS. 5 minutes is flying!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
April 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hope you're having a great time at Disney!

We don't really have a set time with MUS just yet - doing everything very laid back right now. I let her determine how long she wants to "do school". Most of the time she asks to do more, more, more, but I'm betting that won't last.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search